Dieting and Normal Eating habits...and liking healthy foods!

Options
2»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am a gluten free vegan who often eats 1200 calorie days. I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I don't eat lots of pasta or rice because I'd be hungry and not getting to eat my fruits. I try to work a small amount of gluten free bread products into my days, but I don't do that all the time. I follow the ebbs and flows of my cravings. If I want a lot of fruit, I can't have a lot of bread.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you love to eat fruits, beans, nuts, and veggies, you might try looking into the EAT to LIVE book by Joel Fuhrman. I love that program. If you follow it you "do not need" to count calories. It isn't vegan or vegetarian but it can be. It is about eating whole nutritious foods. Feed your body the nutrients through whole plants and you won't be hungry. You can get plenty of protein, fats, and so much more nutrition by eating this way. You can look into his website at www.drfuhrman.com I still count my calories as I am about 80 - 90% compliant. I am rarely hungry. I make a giant green smoothie in the morning with spinach, berries, banana, cocoa powder, stevia, and ground flax seeds. Lunch can be a very large salad, and dinner can be a wonderful stirfry. I get 50-80 gms of fiber. You can learn to make salad dressings that use whole nuts in a blender instead of oil for better nutrition. I eat limited grains and animal products and oil.

I look at other people's food diaries and many rely on cheese, or fake cheese, grain products like bread or pasta, and use oil. Those are very calorie dense for the nutritional value in them. The nutrition going into your cells from eating healthy food is what stops your hunger. Also your stomach has receptors that measure weight and volume. 600 calories of oil takes up a very small space. 600 calories of veggies would have you stuffed to the gills!

I am 55, 5' 51/2" tall and weigh 137 and am lightly active, sit at home in front of the computer, and just walk the dog twice a day or swap a walk for a bike ride. I eat about 1600 calories a day (including exercise calories) and my weight loss is set for 1/2 pound a week. I keep playing with the last 3 pounds. I lost my last 35 pounds last year and went from a size 10 to a size 4!
  • cadency
    cadency Posts: 51
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has commented on this but...

I was gaining on a est. 2lb weight loss MFP calculated rate for my height and weight. I lost initially but then gain it back and then some. I was working out and doing everything I'm supposed to but kept seeing the digits go up. I spoke to my doctor about it and she recommended going south beach or paleo - something without grains. I went paleo / primal and am eating even a little more than I was then and continuing with my working out and am losing. I've found that any time I consume gluten now, I hold water like none other and it will take some time to get it off...

Have you tried going gluten free?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed...is that I dont feel FATTER....BUT the reason I decided to get on MFP is because all of a sudden it is like my stomach became BLOATED:::...I mean one day my stomach when up like 6 in!!!

I went to the doctor...but again in Vienna and my german is not strong enough to challenge these doctors....and he gave me something for GAS!!

He says if its not better to come back.

I will go back.

GAS...good grief...

I took some pics of me...and from the front...normal enough...the side view...I look pregnant if I dont hold my tummy in...or like those bloated African babies with huge guts!

pfff!!!
    That's strange if you've been thin & then all of sudden wake up one day with a 6 inch gain. I don't think its gastritis. I hate to say this but if you got a thin body with a huge gut, that could be a sign of malnutrition which explains why the images of the kids in Africa have emaciated bodies but with a huge belly. I'm by no means an expert but perhaps it would be better to seek a second opinion & if possible ask your doctor to have it in English so you two will have a better understanding.
  • thecapaccino
    thecapaccino Posts: 138
    Options
    no!! hehehe. I am not skinny! Lol.

I am normally perfectly proportioned!

So now...with my stomach big pudgier I can see the difference. I feel like a beer drinker! That kind of stomach...almost like distended!

:-)))

re: gluten free....I did Lactose Free the last month...but obviously that didnt work.

For the past 2 days...I am doing mainly ALL PROTEIN!!! I have had headaches all day yesterday and today....so maybe withdrawal from the Carbs before....

will do this a week...and see how it works with my body..
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    No, there's no need for you to eat gluten free if you don't have gluten issues. I was just "intro-ing" why my diet the way it is.