how many calories am I actually supposed to be eating..

Options
MFP has me at 1620 to lose 2lbs a week. My bmr is 1,858.36. so because i am going to the gym everyday, i take and multiply that by 1.725 (for calorie needs). this gives me 3,205.671. So if Im trying to lose 2 lbs a week..is MFP right? That's like 1,600 calories a day Im shortening..aka about 11,000 calories a week..

Oh and Im 5'8 172lb

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to be losing 2lbs a week, you don't look that overweight from your picture. I would only cut 500 calories a day if I were you.
  • aolivez
    aolivez Posts: 8
    Options
    If we believe the experts, that 1 lb = 3500 calories, then to lose 2lb / week, you'd need to cut twice that, through diet and exercise (7000). As we all know, actual results will vary, so the key is to figure out what works for you. See you how feel, track your progress weekly, and adjust as needed. Cutting 11,000 is more like 3 lb / week - which sounds excessive to me. Remember, with this, as with all things, slow and steady... etc. etc.
  • Steventhehro
    Steventhehro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree it seemed excessive when i looked up my stuff and realized i was cutting out that much. I mean i have been getting results, not 3lbs a week though.
  • Steventhehro
    Options
    Anyone else thinking of a good number for me? I'd like to continue using this site to track my calories..but if I don't know where the goal is, it may lose its draw.

Again, I was getting results most of the time..I'd do 5 or 6 days with very little fluctuation and then bam..down an LB or two. Never more than 2 though.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    if your getting results thats good. But it does seem like a small number. Im 5'7" 27yr 150lb and was eating 2000 a day + eating back my exercise cals and was trimming out. At 2500-3000 I was maintaining.
    I would say start at a higher number and try it out. If your closes to your weight you don't want to drop to much into a surplus to get there. Especially if your working out a lot you need the fuel to recover and keep your lean mass

My opinion^
  • Steventhehro
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate it. My goal was initially 170, but I've realized now I'm still too flabby and only 2lbs away from the original goal so I'm thinking maybe 165.