Help! I gained 20 lbs!

Options
Okay 20 lbs isn't that big of a deal for all of you. But it's more than just the weight gain that's gotten me down.

I had recently lost 45 lbs and was going good and suddenly... very suddenly, just in ONE day after having given blood I couldn't stop eating. And eating. And eating. Bad foods. Milkshakes and peanut butter and fast food. I even got to the point where I was eating non-fully cooked foods, dry cereal, even stale and expired food. My hunger is NEVER satisfied, and I gained 18 lbs very quickly. I feel sluggish and gross and horrible and my clothes are getting tighter. I'm letting my days just slip by, despite having a mostly free schedule.... I just can't stop myself!

I've got a complicated history with food, and I really have been trying to regain control but I've really seem to have lost it this time. I'm crying all the time and I feel horrible and in 120 degree heat I'm in sweats and long sleeves, eating, or sleeping. 24/7.

Has anyone encountered this problem, too? I don't know how to get myself back on track! I've tried keeping a journal and exercising but it hasn't helped and I feel I'm hopeless now!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think you to see your doctor immediately and get a mental health referral. This is alarming. Do you have a support system?
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    Mental Health? Why? I really don't think I'm depressed, just a bit emotional.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I think you to see your doctor immediately and get a mental health referral. This is alarming. Do you have a support system?

I have to agree.. if you are eating foods that arent fully cooked, ect.. there is more to it than a desire to eat.
  • bbaker172
    bbaker172 Posts: 93
    Options
    All of this after giving blood? You're body is needing a nutrient, and you're not giving it, so that's why you're having these "cravings". You should try to take some iron...you may be anemic, maybe your body is craving iron and that's why you're eating food that's not fully cooked.

Try a multi-vitamin w/ iron. Call your Dr. and they can do blood work to see which vitamin you're lacking in.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would see your doctor about this. There could be an underlying condition. Just take a deep breath, accept that things have gone awry lately, and force yourself to do some brief cardio. What you need is a strong support system. Good luck!
  • mrsslimkatie
    Options

Because what you described sounds like a breakdown.
    Wishing you health and wellness
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I've had an eating disorder for years..decades even. I am an all or nothing person and I am trying not to be. I was a gluten free vegan for so long and now that I am eating meat again I am trying to enjoy fast food once every few months and trying to let myself know it is ok to have it in moderation. That it won't kill me if I have a burger every once in awhile.

Were you super healthy and then binged? How fast did those 20 pounds come on? Are you sure it is weight and not water weight from sodium intake?

Just tell yourself that it happened and the only way to go is up. Try to eat a rainbow (colored veggies) with every meal and enjoy something sinful every once in awhile so you don't feel the need to binge.

I wish you great success and I am sure you can do it.
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options

it's not just about "depression", you need to be in a controlled state of mind (you said you lost control, that's a "mental" or "mind" thing) and it's not a bad thing to see a doctor and get counceling or other help. your mind and body have to work TOGETHER, so you need to take care of both :smile:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    What were you doing before? Was it extreme? This could be a bounce back effect from not eating enough and then loosing even more with the blood loss.

Take it one step at a time... I'd suggest starting with eating healthier... high fiber, fresh foods, not as many simple carbohydrates. That may be more filling. Then reduce the amount, but don't go below the MFP minimum, eat back your exercise calories. Look at the "stuck" postings at the top of these categories, there's lots of good advice there.

I wrote a blog entry about cravings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817. I don't have nutritional expertise, so it's just a collection of what I've experienced and here from others. Don't know if it will help you.

If you can't get it under control within, say a week, contact a medical professional. It could be mental or it could be based in a biological deficiency, but if a few simple things don't help you get back on track, you need some expert help to make it possible.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options

If all you are doing is eating, sleeping and crying. That sounds like a huge sign of depression. Talk to a doctor.
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    Maybe u shoud try just eat lots of different kinds of filling foods like vegetables and proteins and exercise. Keep in mind, that whatvever had you motivated to lose the first 42lbs, let that motivate u again. If u really think that u have an issue, go see your doctor just to make sure things are okay.
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options

I agree. Especially since you say it started just after giving blood. You may have an imbalance of some sort that was triggered by that, either physically or mentally. Let your doctor know when you started loosing the weight, how quickly you dropped it, when you started gaining it back, and how quickly it came back. And, most importantly, don't be afraid of the words "mental health". No one should be scrutinized for seeing help, especially when it could help you be a happier, healthier person. :)
  • EmmiDahling
    EmmiDahling Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I've got a complicated history with food, and I really have been trying to regain control but I've really seem to have lost it this time. I'm crying all the time and I feel horrible and in 120 degree heat I'm in sweats and long sleeves, eating, or sleeping. 24/7.

As someone who is diagnose with clinical depression, and who grew up with a family member who is now diagnosed as type 2 bi-polar disorder, I can tell you that what you're describing is more than just being sad. There's no shame in having depression, it's an illness and not something you can control right now. Like SherryTeach said, you need to see your doctor and get a mental health referral. The first step is the hardest, but thing of it as getting your mind into the kind of shape you're trying to get your body into.
  • karen6499
    karen6499 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems your body is lacking something, try drinking more water and try adding vitamins to your diet or a protein shake twice a day and track everything you are eating.
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ya an unquenchable hunger and emotional sounds like a doctor visit is needed. gaining 20 lbs quickly isn't good for you at all. Take Care and feel better soon
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You just repeated my spiral of events that happens when I lose weight. Seriously, I can see my turns for the bad and know it's happening but seem helpless. ~ read my profile.

All you can do is get back to logging, get your self "clean" again.

Try not to put any foods "off limits" because this will cause the binge effect also

Try upping the protein for now to help with the "hunger"
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Okay 20 lbs isn't that big of a deal for all of you. But it's more than just the weight gain that's gotten me down.

I had recently lost 45 lbs and was going good and suddenly... very suddenly, just in ONE day after having given blood I couldn't stop eating. And eating. And eating. Bad foods. Milkshakes and peanut butter and fast food. I even got to the point where I was eating non-fully cooked foods, dry cereal, even stale and expired food. My hunger is NEVER satisfied, and I gained 18 lbs very quickly. I feel sluggish and gross and horrible and my clothes are getting tighter. I'm letting my days just slip by, despite having a mostly free schedule.... I just can't stop myself!

Has anyone encountered this problem, too? I don't know how to get myself back on track! I've tried keeping a journal and exercising but it hasn't helped and I feel I'm hopeless now!
    I was once in your state before ans went down to the point where i would gorge myself with food (even those i dislike in the past). I guess it happens to everyone who is in the diet process. For me, once it starts, it will usually go on fore at least 2 days, as i will feel " Well, since i am already over my calories today , just let it be" and when i wake up tomorrow, "Well, since i was over my calories yesterday, one more day makes no harm", and the cycle repeats. I guess its the gaining of 20 ibs that is making you feel guilty, and to suppress this feeling, you eat! From this moment, forget about the 20 IBS you gained! Tell yourself that you have lost 25 Ibs and that is an achievement and you want to carry on! Let it be a restart. Tell yourself that the days you indulged is enough and you wanna start all over again!
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    All of this after giving blood? You're body is needing a nutrient, and you're not giving it, so that's why you're having these "cravings". You should try to take some iron...you may be anemic, maybe your body is craving iron and that's why you're eating food that's not fully cooked.

Try a multi-vitamin w/ iron. Call your Dr. and they can do blood work to see which vitamin you're lacking in.

To start, I'd have to agree here. If it happened after giving blood (I'm assuming it was a quantity of blood, like a donation vs. a few lab vials), you might be anemic. Try drinking Blackstrap molasses. I find mine at amish-type markets. Also online, probably. It is a less-processed version of molasses that is extremely rich in iron, calcium, and many other important nutrients. I just mix a few tablespoons with a hot cup of water and some milk. I started taking it when I was pregnant to help build up my iron for delivery. Worked great!

Secondarily, if this keeps up I'd definitely talk to your doc about things. It sounds a little scary and fast, and not only do you need to make sure that you are not sick or imbalanced somehow, but you also need to get back to a healthy place physically, emotionally, mentally. Take care of yourself!
  • riouxha
    riouxha Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters, the uncontrolled hunger sounds like you're deficient in something, and a blood panel should be done by your doctor, as well, you SHOULD make mention of a mental health assessment, because the eating, sleeping, and feeling down is a sign something is off, which could be stemming from whatever you are deficient in at the moment, but its best to know sooner than later :) mental health should never be something to be ashamed of or frightened to ask about. IT happens to the best of us
  • riouxha
    riouxha Posts: 995 Member
    Options

To start, I'd have to agree here. If it happened after giving blood (I'm assuming it was a quantity of blood, like a donation vs. a few lab vials), you might be anemic. Try drinking Blackstrap molasses. I find mine at amish-type markets. Also online, probably. It is a less-processed version of molasses that is extremely rich in iron, calcium, and many other important nutrients. I just mix a few tablespoons with a hot cup of water and some milk. I started taking it when I was pregnant to help build up my iron for delivery. Worked great!

Secondarily, if this keeps up I'd definitely talk to your doc about things. It sounds a little scary and fast, and not only do you need to make sure that you are not sick or imbalanced somehow, but you also need to get back to a healthy place physically, emotionally, mentally. Take care of yourself!

The iron suggestions are great, but please get bloodwork first, too much iron is hard on your body also :)