Foods high in iron?

Options
Hello, I just got my blood tests back and my iron levels are very very low. ( under the healthy limit) and of course I'm constantly feeling tired. Does any of you know any foods that are high in iron? Thanks a lot!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just got my blood tests back and my iron levels are very very low. ( under the healthy limit) and of course I'm constantly feeling tired. Does any of you know any foods that are high in iron? Thanks a lot!
    Liver is hard to beat. Others at www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/healthy_diet/iron_rich_food.htm

Probably worth taking a liquid iron supplement for a couple of weeks to get you up to strength.

http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/07/11/low-iron-can-cause-fatigue-in-women-and-reasons-why-this-treatable-condition-is-so-often-missed/
  • fight4newme
    fight4newme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know but it's impossible to eat it. It's like the only food I hate! But thanks a lot for the advice!
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I'm pretty sure dark leafy greens such as kale are high in iron. Curly kale is deeeeeelicious steamed with a bit of nutmeg and lemon juice on :D
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    broccoli, kayle, leafy greens etc. have high iron content. i am often low in iron so my doctor told me to take a non-coated iron supplement with a 500mg vit c tablet as vit c helps the body absorb the iron faster.
  • jos1033
    jos1033 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:
    Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens are good, but you need to add vitamin C to help it absorb into your body, for example, spinach and strawberries or spinach and tomatoes. Check cereal labels because some are quite high in iron. Another thing that's a nice treat that's high in iron is Vitamuffin Tops.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Heme iron (from meats) is by far the most readily absorbed form.

Usually your body will more effectively (or less effectively) absorb iron based on your body's needs.
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I can not take the supplements because they make me very sick after just 2 days of taking them. I have been trying to eat more leafy greens and such but I too HATE liver and giblets. I also don't like mollusks. So really the only place I can get it from is veggies. I do take a multivitamin every day (or at least try to when I remember) so that helps.
  • Obviously red meat a few times a week is going to help you.

I can't take the iron+ vitamin C supplements, but general vitamin tablets including iron fixes seem to go down better.

Good luck! When you fix this, you'll have so much more energy. :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about taking an iron supplement. It's best to be under a doctor's supervision for taking them, but they can be very helpful if you have trouble getting enough iron in your diet.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Try not to drink soft drinks as they can interfere with the absorption of iron in your body. Also, calcium and iron tend to fight each other for absorption so it's best to try to take the supplements several hours apart.
    The others had great suggestions for iron rich foods. And taking vitamin C or eating a food high in vitamin C with one rich is iron works great!
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid (50 years ago), I can remember my mother giving (making us) take a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses every morning. I just found this on the internet. I guess mom was right. Add it to a smoothie may be good.

Iron for Energy - Blackstrap Molasses
    2.00 tsp
    13.67 grams
    32.12 calories

In addition to providing quickly assimilated carbohydrates, blackstrap molasses can increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores. Blackstrap molasses is a very good source of iron. Particularly for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting iron stores with blackstrap molasses is a good idea--especially because, in comparison to red meat, a well known source of iron, blackstrap molasses provides more iron for less calories and is totally fat-free. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is also part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. And, if you're pregnant or lactating, your needs for iron increase. Growing children and adolescents also have increased needs for iron. Just 2 teaspoons of blackstrap molasses will sweetly provide you with 13.3% of the daily recommended value for iron.