I can't seem to eat 1200 calories!

Options
1235»

Replies

• splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    @ Papate,Yea, you need to eat. No excuse is acceptable for eating that low. Your heading for heart ache...At best. Please research what can happen to you if you continue . Follow mfp's recommendations and you will lose weight. Without harming your self in the process. It's better to learn now from people who know what they are talking about then later by following through the way you are going.Please reconsider and take heed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think this is a common/honest question for new people starting out on a lifestyle change. I was there and I struggled with getting to 1200 calories and to be honest, I still struggle with it. You go into it thinking you have to eat low cal, low fat, low whatever...

I love the question, "how did you get fat in the first place?" Well, sure, I could go out and get a double cheeseburger, fries and a coke and meet my calories, but is that seriously healthy?

I also hate the standard answer of upping your calories "peanut butter, nuts, and protein powder". Not hating on those things because they are good for you, but for some people (a lot of people) are allergic to nuts and protein powder just sounds ick to me. I'd rather just eat a nice, big, juicy piece of chicken.

The best advice I can give is to incorporate some higher calorie foods.

but why does it have to be either double bacon cheeseburgers and fries OR a cup of celery and carrots? :laugh:

i think the people who have trouble with this issue are just unwilling to break out of their comfort zone so they go from one extreme to another and forget that there's a whole range of possibilities in the middle.

and if you dont like other protein except beef then eat beef. i just find it shocking that if this person was so into cheeseburgers and french enough to get fat from, they honestly can't grasp that there are zillion other healthy and nutritious ways to cook and eat beef and potatoes.

I didn't say they had to eat a double cheeseburger OR a cup of celery and carrots. Maybe, I need to be more clear. I can't stand when people ask the question, "How did you get fat in the first place?" Answer: I ate fast food every day twice a day. Literally. Honestly. You are right in a way. The thing is people do have a problem with going from one extreme to another. That is a common problem. It's finding the balance. I am one of those people attempting to find the balance. It's not a hard idea to grasp.

Your other comments aren't worth my reply.

ok so you like beef and potatoes, there's a zillion other ways to eat beef and potatoes, that was my point. people try to make something so simple in rocket science and time traveling robots when it doesnt need to be.

i got fat by eating take out 3 meals a day for years . i ate a lot of fried stuff, thai takeout, korean bbq, etc when i decided to lose weight i simply looked at it like i know i already like chicken and turkey, so let me find new and healthier ways to eat chicken and turkey. it just seems a lot of people are unnecessarily completely cutting stuff out of their diet without thinking about it logically. so even though i couldnt eat fried chicken, i didnt take that to mean i could no longer eat chicken, i just wouldnt be eating it fried.

there are a zillion ways to cook things so that you're still eating the same foods but different ways. i think that's what most people mean when they ask "how did you get fat in the first place?" at least that's what i mean by it. if people want to get offended by that question then that's on them
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    unless you have diabetes, sugar doesn't matter if you are eating well in a caloric deficit. I promise.

And the OP did not say they had diabetes? So prove me wrong?

If you are going to give advice and support then you need to give it correctly?

Eating too much fruit/smoothies/sugar will not help you to lose weight. It will give you a high after you have eaten it/if you do not burn it then it will store as fat. (short version again)

**crickets**
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    So many unbelievably ignorant people on these boards. That's the internet for you I guess.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    my day starts at 2pm and ends at 4am.. check my diary.. you can do this!!
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Eating too much fruit/smoothies/sugar will not help you to lose weight. It will give you a high after you have eaten it/if you do not burn it then it will store as fat. (short version again)
    I am super supportive and motivational to my friends and always like to support new people, but I don`t want people to read stuff that is not correct, even if it has the best intentions.

... hypocrisy at its best.
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well; isn't miss millivanilla a know it all. Wonder how it feels to be perfect?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'm bad. Knowing that I'm trying, very hard and faithfully,to lose this weight, I just can't let myself get anywhere near 1200 calories, since I started, I have consistently been 600 or less. I know I know, everyone says eat more, but if it's true, that calories in versus calories out.....I am burning between 1400-1800 calories a day, so even if my body wants to "think" starvation and hold it, at some point it has to let go.
    That's called anorexia.
  • tigersword
    Options

I am super supportive and motivational to my friends and always like to support new people, but I don`t want people to read stuff that is not correct, even if it has the best intentions.

... hypocrisy at its best.
    I don't want people to read stuff that is not correct, except for the stuff I'm posting that isn't correct. My wrong information is just fine, it's the other people, posting information that isn't wrong, that's bad.

Am I doing it right?:drinker:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Cheese. Cheese has a lot of calories in a small amount. Since I couldn't stand the thought of eggs again for dinner last night or breakfast today, I broke out the cheese to get some more calories in.

Still way under, though. But I don't feel sick or starved. Just bored of my food choices.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    unless you have diabetes, sugar doesn't matter if you are eating well in a caloric deficit. I promise.

you seem to like short versions. so short version:

sugar =/= fat. (nearly 90 percent of your body fat is made up of fatty acids, not sugar.)
    sugar = glycogen. (you know what your muscles use for fuel? glycogen. you know what your brain uses for fuel? I'll give you a hint. it rhymes with mycogen.)

you seem stuck on the storage issue, too. and you are right, in that excess is stored. it get stored in your liver and in your muscles. but not as fat. it is stored as glycogen, the storaged version of glucose. but then it must turn into fat, right? not so much. it sits there, on your internal shelf, until you need some extra energy. like, say, when you go to the gym. that's when you burn your glycogen supply, turning it into energy to move.

by the way, if you are scared of sugar, you should stay away from anything with carbs. because you know what carbs are broken down into when ingested?

Thank you! It wasn`t hard to concur with what I had said was it lol!

Carbs are another story, and not the sugar that I mentioned. But yes, lower carb, higher protein is better building blocks for muscles.
  • Twiglers
    Twiglers Posts: 5
    Options
    Eat some meat!
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just completed my food diary for the day, and came in under 1200 calories. It was also a rest day from exercise. I'm completely satisfied...just wasn't able to achieve the 1200 calories.
    It's not hard to do, given that fruits and veggies have a much lower calorie count, and if you're full, can you honestly eat more than what your body wants you to? I'm not going to overeat even fruits and veggies, let alone anything else that's healthier for me and feel bloated and miserable.
    And as far as the sugar issue, I also watch my carb intake since I'm Type 2 diabetic. Also can't "snack" on almonds, strawberries, tomatos due to diverticulitis. So...I'm at a disadvantage food-wise all the way around.
    Listen to your body...when you're full, you're full. If you're hungry, eat. I'm sure that tomorrow will be different than today...we all have different ways that we do things. What works for one person may not work for another. Either way...we should all support each other. The best you can get here will be ideas from other folks, and it's up to you to decide if you want to try them or implement them into your plan! Best wishes to all!!
  • tigersword
    Options

sugar =/= fat. (nearly 90 percent of your body fat is made up of fatty acids, not sugar.)
    sugar = glycogen. (you know what your muscles use for fuel? glycogen. you know what your brain uses for fuel? I'll give you a hint. it rhymes with mycogen.)

you seem stuck on the storage issue, too. and you are right, in that excess is stored. it get stored in your liver and in your muscles. but not as fat. it is stored as glycogen, the storaged version of glucose. but then it must turn into fat, right? not so much. it sits there, on your internal shelf, until you need some extra energy. like, say, when you go to the gym. that's when you burn your glycogen supply, turning it into energy to move.

by the way, if you are scared of sugar, you should stay away from anything with carbs. because you know what carbs are broken down into when ingested?

Carbs are another story, and not the sugar that I mentioned. But yes, lower carb, higher protein is better building blocks for muscles.
    Umm... Actually, he's disagreeing with you completely, and pointing out how sugar never actually becomes fat. Glycogen is not fat. Your "short version" was completely false.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

How in the hell did you interpret what he said as him agreeing with you? That's being amazingly blind/dense.