How many calories are you REALLY burning on the treadmill?

Options
Have you ever wondered how accurate that treadmill is when it tells you how many calories you have burned? We are all have different amounts of weight to carry so how can it be one standard number. The rule of thumb is approximately 100 calories per a mile ran or walked. However I have the formula to figure out the exact number of calories burned.

I am 116 pounds and ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes at a 6mph speed with 0 grade. Calculate how many calories that is?

The beginning equation Vo2=(0.2S)+(0.9SG)+3.5

To solve for the unknown variables:

S= speed in meters per minute.

MPH x 26.8

6mph x 26.8=160.8 m/min

G= grade 0% If it were 4% incline you would convert that to 0.04

Convert pounds to kilograms= lbs/2.2 116lbs/2.2= 52.72kg

Fill in the unknown variables in the equation above V02= (0.2 x 160.8)+ (0.9 x 160.8 x 0)+3.5 = 32.16+0+3.5 V02= 35.66

To convert VO2 in calories per minute Multiply V02 x wt in kg Then divide that number by 1000.

Multiply that number by 5 To figure out my calories burned on the treadmill looks like this: 35.66 x 52.72kg= 1879.99

1879.99/1000= 1.87

1.87x5=9.39

I ran for 20 minutes so 9.39 x 20 minutes= 188 calories.

There are 3500 calories in a pound.

If you are going at a speed less than 5mph then there is a different equation for that. V02=(0.1s)+(1.8SG)+3.5. Then solve for calories the same way.

If you want more equations on how to calculate eclipitical, or stationary bike then inbox me.

Replies

• heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Orrrr you can buy a heart rate monitor :) Haha. I got mine a few weeks ago and worship it. That's too much math for me O_o
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Or...you could use a Fitbit also. I start the timer of my Fitbit when I start my workout and stop it when I'm done. The calories burned are always about 100 less than what the treadmill says.
  • AimeeZingLife
    AimeeZingLife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This equation takes in account a person's weight and the speed they are going. Heart rate monitors and treadmill counters I have found to be extremely inaccurate. Over estimating my calories at times by 300 calories.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    This equation takes in account a person's weight and the speed they are going. Heart rate monitors and treadmill counters I have found to be extremely inaccurate. Over estimating my calories at times by 300 calories.

But a short person and a tall person can have the same speed but different exertion rates since one person can take bigger steps. My heart rate monitor takes my weight into consideration and I have the option to buy the footpod accessory but I don't bother.
  • irish9229
    irish9229 Posts: 24
    Options
    I use the "fat burn" setting on the treadmill. I assumed it was fairly accurate with calories burned because I have to plug in my info (age/weight) prior to starting.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Have you ever wondered how accurate that treadmill is when it tells you how many calories you have burned? We are all have different amounts of weight to carry so how can it be one standard number. The rule of thumb is approximately 100 calories per a mile ran or walked. However I have the formula to figure out the exact number of calories burned.

I am 116 pounds and ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes at a 6mph speed with 0 grade. Calculate how many calories that is?

The beginning equation Vo2=(0.2S)+(0.9SG)+3.5

To solve for the unknown variables:

S= speed in meters per minute.

MPH x 26.8

6mph x 26.8=160.8 m/min

G= grade 0% If it were 4% incline you would convert that to 0.04

Convert pounds to kilograms= lbs/2.2 116lbs/2.2= 52.72kg

Fill in the unknown variables in the equation above V02= (0.2 x 160.8)+ (0.9 x 160.8 x 0)+3.5 = 32.16+0+3.5 V02= 35.66

To convert VO2 in calories per minute Multiply V02 x wt in kg Then divide that number by 1000.

Multiply that number by 5 To figure out my calories burned on the treadmill looks like this: 35.66 x 52.72kg= 1879.99

1879.99/1000= 1.87

1.87x5=9.39

I ran for 20 minutes so 9.39 x 20 minutes= 188 calories.

There are 3500 calories in a pound.

If you are going at a speed less than 5mph then there is a different equation for that. V02=(0.1s)+(1.8SG)+3.5. Then solve for calories the same way.

If you want more equations on how to calculate eclipitical, or stationary bike then inbox me.

Orrr...you could share it with everyone? What are you hiding in that little inbox of yours? Every single post you make is some random information with be my friend or inbox me...Are you selling drugs? Shakes? :P

I'm impressed though, this is the first post of yours I've seen that wasn't about quoting yourself about the gluten topic
  • Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    I use the "fat burn" setting on the treadmill. I assumed it was fairly accurate with calories burned because I have to plug in my info (age/weight) prior to starting.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^ Don't need the equation if you put in your age and wt. The treadmill does it for you.
  • rblakeman
    rblakeman Posts: 25
    Options
    I think my HR monitor hits right on your numbers (though I'm not going to take the time to do the math). I had to do a resting HR assessment where I didn't move for 7 or 8 minutes, plus added my weight, height and age. If I keep my heart rate between 171 and 185 for most of my run (which is usually around 6.7 to 7.0 mph), I can burn 9 to 10 calories per minute; so 2 miles is usually around 200 calories (I only weigh a few pounds more than you do). The treadmill calculations give me 12 calories per 10th of a mile...or 120 per mile...no matter what my speed; obviously, that is an over estimate.
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I have major trust issues with "calories burned."

Yesterday I did sprints on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I worked my butt off. My HRM synched up with the treadmill and it STILL varied by a couple beats per minute. Additionally, despite the treadmill keeping track of my heart rate, it still showed that I burned 86 calories more than I actually did. In my mind, I think "86!?! That's almost 100 calories more!!" So from now on, even if I enter my age/weight into a treadmill or if I use the heart rate monitor handles, I still won't believe what it says.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I thing you're just showing off your math skills ;) MFP always way over estimates my calories burned so I just go by what my garmin says since I have to put in my sex, age, and weight. When I run on the treadmill I will usually just enter what my last outdoor run of the same distance was from my watch.
  • diletta24
    diletta24 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't drive me crazy with formulas and I believe in "make it as easier as possible", anyway
    - modern treadmills in gym let you set details before your training according to your weight
    - otherwise use a HRM
    - NO HRM, NO MODERN TREADMILL (LIKE ME..)? I rely on this website, it calculates according to weight!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned_list.asp

Good post anyway to raise awareness about the importance of our weight to estimate kcals burned. Ignoring this simple fact, lot of people eat back more than their work out kcals! So MFP: burned kcals are mostly overestimated. I notice it when my friends upload their work outs and they seem huge compared with mine!
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    There are MANY calculators online - why would I want to sit and do all that math? Here's a few examples:

The first one is from Shapesense.com and it calculates using the V02max (known or unknown): http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

http://www.easycalculation.com/health/heart-rate-calorie-burn.php

I would love to have an HRM, but it's not in the budget. So, I rely on the machine I'm using, the calculators online and occasionally will look up numbers here on MFP (which don't always seem so accurate).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Most commercial treadmills use the same equation. It is very good for walking-likely more accurate than an HRM, as long as you don't hold on to the handrails. However, it might lose some accuracy when running. There are studies that suggest that, at speeds greater than 6 mph, it can overestimate calories burned on a TM by 15%-20%.

Overall, however, it's still the most accurate estimate of treadmill calories.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the motive of "inbox me" so I can sell you some Beachbody products. Lately I have seen a bunch of those type "friend me so you can listen to my ideas" type things, and invariably if I look at their profiles, they are company reps.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

But a short person and a tall person can have the same speed but different exertion rates since one person can take bigger steps. My heart rate monitor takes my weight into consideration and I have the option to buy the footpod accessory but I don't bother.

Biomechanically, it doesn't make that much difference. Everything balances out so that taller or shorter people will expend equal amounts of energy, if speed and weight are the same.
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    how can the general rule be "100 cals pr mile ran/walked"? i burn about 130 pr kilometre i walk :huh: