Have a fat blister on foot, what to do?

Options
I got a fat blister on my left heel from my walk yesterday :/ i didnt realize it was happening til i got back to the house. My walk is my cardio, i walk super briskly for 45 mins to an hour, when i get back i'm wiped and sweaty... I hope to start jogging again when i enter Onederland.

Anyway, I've been having ongoing issues with my heels when i walk, they start to hurt/get numb, or i start getting blisters. I spent nearly 50 bucks on 3 pairs of 'specialty running/walking socks' and only one really works. My shoes are super comfy otherwise, i dont get whhy i always have heel problems.

Anyway, i now have a big blister on my left heel, but i really dont want to skip walking tomorrow. Should i pop it now so it can heal a bit, or is that a bad thing to do? Theres no way i can walk like it is now-i cant even put my shoe on :/

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Clean the affected area well and use a sterilized needle to drain it (don't remove the loose skin) apply iodine or similar antiseptic and then cover (gauze bandage, moleskin etc) to protect it.

If you're getting blisters it means one thing....your shoes don't fit properly. Double layer socks do help reduce friction (I use them for running and haven't had any blisters but I also used to run using el cheapo tube socks too and didn't get blisters - it's all about having shoes that fit properly and don't rub while you're walking/running)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can never leave a blister unpopped. I'd rather drain it and cover it, than have it tear open on it's own.

I agree with Brian.... your shoes aren't fitting right. Maybe one foot is slightly smaller than the other, and/or a flaw in the shoe itself.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I would leave the blister alone and do what the others have said as far as dressing it. I have bad feet and was getting blisters all of the time. Double the lightweight socks..TOTALLY HELPED...but I also just made a post about my shape up shoes..I have 2 different shaped feet. (don't ask) :)..and the shape ups kind of conform to my feet and I LOVE them. I have not had 1 blister since I bought them and am now on day 9 of walking 3 miles a day. Good luck cuz those foot issues suck!!!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up popping it and its almost healed now, and sunday i sent and gotted fitted professionally for some walking/jogging shoes. OMG, what a difference! I got the Saucony Omni 11’s, and they feel sooo good. Took em on a walk yesterday and the difference is night and day with my old pair. I also found out I'm a 9, not an 8 1/2. Wish i'd gotten fitted a long time ago. I <3 my new sneakers :)