Building Muscle and Burning Fat

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ since I dropped my body fat over 3% in the two months and increased my muscle mass. It is visible and measurable.

If you were in a deficit you experienced neuromuscular adaptation. You existing muscle got more developed. You lost fat. Your muscles looked larger and to some degree they were due to water and glycogen and development, however, unless you are a genetic mutant, you did not grow new muscle tissue beyone a pound or 2 of newbie gains if you were new to lifting. This is the physiology of it. It is easily researched. You can chose to believe what you chose to believe. As John Wayne once said, "but that don't change the truth none!"
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Don't worry about it. People here tend to get bogged down in the science when they should be more concerned with results. Go on a calorie deficit. Go ahead and start strength training *now*. You will make significant improvements and like how you look. Just do it.

Whether you are "building" muscle is so completely, totally irrelevant in these cases. You will be stripping off the fat that covers the muscle while maintaining and toning the muscle you already have. You will look better. A lot better. You will be happy with the results. Just do it.

And ignore every "can't build muscle on a deficit" thread posted. There will be 18 more today. It's irrelevant. Just do it and do it now.

Right on!
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. People here tend to get bogged down in the science when they should be more concerned with results. Go on a calorie deficit. Go ahead and start strength training *now*. You will make significant improvements and like how you look. Just do it.

Whether you are "building" muscle is so completely, totally irrelevant in these cases. You will be stripping off the fat that covers the muscle while maintaining and toning the muscle you already have. You will look better. A lot better. You will be happy with the results. Just do it.

And ignore every "can't build muscle on a deficit" thread posted. There will be 18 more today. It's irrelevant. Just do it and do it now.

Thank you for this.:flowerforyou: Simple and to the point answer ona topic thats confusing to many of us
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    LOL beat me to to it neenaj!
  • WandRsmom
    WandRsmom Posts: 253 Member
    Options

Right on!

Agreed.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    MFP does not set your protein goals high enough. My trainer had me eating 40% protein to build muscle while burning fat.

But you can't build muscle whilst burning fat

Ad you've became an expert on the subject when?

Feel free to do the research. When you eat at a surplus, you gain muscle and some fat with the right workout routine. It is called a bulk. Pretty much impossible to gain only muscle, although you can gain primarily muscle and minimize fat gain. If you are eating at maintenance, you can likely not gain muscle as there is not the excess fuel for tissue growth. There are protocols that theoretically enable slight fat burn with muscle building. They involve calorie cycling with eating substantially over TDEE on training days (resistance) and substantially under on non training days. They are slow working and most do tradiationl bulk/cut cycles as they seem more efficient.

PS: The sarcastic tone of your post was unessesary.

Sarcasm? Sorry, it was an honest question. Doing Internet research doesn't make one smart and knowledgable on a subject. However having the results, muscle and body fat to back it up, I feel trumps what you can say to any of us that are actually doing it.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options

^^^^^^ THIS x infinity.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I strength train and do HIIT cardio to burn fat and build muscle. I'm not at a calorie deficit.

You can't be building muscle then

Could you share your stats so we can see ?

Starting weight - fat percentage
    Current weight - fat percentage

what am i missing here? why cant she be building muscle?

Wonderob is usually on point, so I think he might have read her post too quickly and thought she said she was ON a deficit. Because she can totally be building muscle on her current program. I think it was just a misfire

Oh right yeah, damn I so hate being wrong!

Sorry, you're spot on, I mis-read. Strength train, HIIT, and a calorie surplus seems perfect to be building muscle
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Yeah that's very true and good advice; however if someone DOES want to bulk up, to look like the big guys in the gym, then make sure you pay a lot of attention to those calories or all the training will go to waste if you're not eating enough
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Right on!

Agreed.

I agree as well.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^yep, THIS...

...(well, except for that part about "toning the muscle" because there is no such thing...but everything else and especially the recommendation, absolutely this)...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah that's very true and good advice; however if someone DOES want to bulk up, to look like the big guys in the gym, then make sure you pay a lot of attention to those calories or all the training will go to waste if you're not eating enough

I totally agree. And if the OP was a young guy trying to get to 350 on his bench press or add 2 inches to his to arms, I'd be telling him (or her) to eat more and can't gain on a deficit and all the same stuff everyone else here is saying. It's true that you can't gain muscle on a deficit.

But after reading 300+ of these threads, it seems most people on MFP are actually trying to get more muscular, as opposed to actually adding muscles. They want to muscles they have to be toned and taut, and not obscured by an inch of fat. So lifting on a deficit will get them there faster than anything else. If this was bodybuilding.com i'd give different advice.

When people keep claiming they did build on a deficit, usually they havent, but they look so much better they believe they have. For me personally, when I diet down to form, I lose more than an inch of my arms, but everyone thinks my arms got bigger. I could be off base, but I think most folks here want to look and feel better more than they actually want to bulk up, but the advice we give them confuses them. In darn near every case, they would be better served to stop questioning and just get down to business. Eat less, lift more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

^yep, THIS...

...(well, except for that part about "toning the muscle" because there is no such thing...but everything else and especially the recommendation, absolutely this)...

Wait til I get to the part where I recommend they do bicep curls in the squat rack......
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

When people keep claiming they did build on a deficit, usually they havent, but they look so much better they believe they have. For me personally, when I diet down to form, I lose more than an inch of my arms, but everyone thinks my arms got bigger. I could be off base, but I think most folks here want to look and feel better more than they actually want to bulk up, but the advice we give them confuses them. In darn near every case, they would be better served to stop questioning and just get down to business. Eat less, lift more.

This^^

plus it's mostly females asking the question who would struggle to put on significant mass even if they were in a calorie excess.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I"m not saying that is not impossible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time but they are generally considered two different goals. Maybe her trainer measured her after a workout when the muscles are extremely pumped lol.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options

Thanks it does get increasingly confusing with all the different advice but i am doing both cardio and strength training now and eating at a deficit (most days). I just want to do it right, you know and get results. Thanks
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

Right on!

Agreed.

I agree as well.

Yes this completely agree. I am doing this and seeing great results. So simple really.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. Even with the debate i feel i understand it a little better. I think both hubby and I for now need to eat at a deficit but strength train heavy. Once we have lost the fat we can concentrate on building more muscle. I really just want to loose fat and look toned especially aging now its so important. I think for my hubby once he looses the tummy he will want to build. He can bench press about 200 right now and is already a size 34. He is over 6ft and weights 215. He has great muscle definition already its just that pesky belly. Similarly i am 5ft9 and weigh 160 with all the fat in midsection so we seem to have the same problem and all of this info is helping me refine our game plan. Will keep you all posted and again thanks so much. I love MFP...helping me tremendously.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. Even with the debate i feel i understand it a little better. I think both hubby and I for now need to eat at a deficit but strength train heavy. Once we have lost the fat we can concentrate on building more muscle. I really just want to loose fat and look toned especially aging now its so important. I think for my hubby once he looses the tummy he will want to build. He can bench press about 200 right now and is already a size 34. He is over 6ft and weights 215. He has great muscle definition already its just that pesky belly. Similarly i am 5ft9 and weigh 160 with all the fat in midsection so we seem to have the same problem and all of this info is helping me refine our game plan. Will keep you all posted and again thanks so much. I love MFP...helping me tremendously.

Calorie deficit while keeping your strength training intense, heavy, little rest in between sets, and for a good 20-40 minutes will help you achieve your goals. That is what I aim for, and what has always worked for me as far as strength training and calorie deficit. Your body will tell you what is right for you trust me so listen to it well!

I personally do my cardio with an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and try to make it as intense as possible but cap it at no more than 30 minutes to avoid losing muscle. I know for a fact that in the past when I did cardio for 60 min early in the morning with an empty stomach it actually countered against me and ended up losing more muscle than I was willing to give.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^yep, THIS...

Wait til I get to the part where I recommend they do bicep curls in the squat rack......

I will drop you from my FL so fast...

(Heh...whatever...I don't even train in a commercial gym...have my own setup w/ a cage/rack in my basement, so I'm not really affected by this phenomenon anyhow...

...and yet, in my own basement, alone, if I do curls, I do them outside the rack. It's just the right thing to do. (And you know it.))