Im stuck and frustrated!!! Help!

Options
I've been actively using MFP since about June 26th (give or take a day). I am set at 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week. I started at 170lbs and am now stuck at about 162lbs. Last weekend I went away for a wedding and the only thing "wrong" I really did was drink a ton of alcohol on Saturday. I've been stuck ever since!!!

I don't go over on calories, I work out 3-4 days a week, and I'm scared to try and up my calories like so many people say to do because I'm afraid I will gain. I'm frustrated because I gained most of the weight I want to lose in the last year (1st year of teaching) so I want it gone!!!

Please help :( My diary is open!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you've hit a plateau. I'm not exactly sure what you should do when they happens, as everyones opinion on it is different, but I've heard you up your calories to get your metabolism going again and you will lose. I'm sure someone will come a long here and give you better/more information.
  • emg9
    emg9 Posts: 112
    Options
    i'd say try and eat less sugary foods and try to fill out your calories with more whole grains and protein, especially at breakfast. have a look at my diary as i eat a similar amount of calories as you :) also i'd say try to vary your workouts, try a completely different routine and then get back to your normal one. once your body gets used to a certain routine it stops burning as many calories. take a look at these workouts. i do a different one 4 times a week and my weight loss rate has been pretty consistent. good luck!

http://www.nowloss.com/weight-loss-plan-to-lose-your-last-10-pounds.htm
  • HeatherNicoleMomOf4
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more some days your not even hitting 1,200. Also i'd try to bump up your calories a bit more, i know its scary ive hit a plateau and i just upped my calories and noticed ive lost 2 lbs good luck
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well! 8lbs in not even a month? Wonderful!

You don't have to up your calories a lot to see a good result. I hit a plateau and started eating my (measly 188) exercise calories back, and have started to lose again. It's against what I've always thought I needed to do, but it's working and I feel better. Now I just try to hit within 100 calories over/under my goal including my exercise calories every day. The little bit of zig zagging over/under is apparently helpful as well. Give it a shot for a week and see what happens.
  • Chgosportsgal
    Options
    When I got stuck, I increased my calories. Had to because of the intensity of my workouts. I work out 5x's a week and can burn anywhere between 500 and 750 cals per workout. I eat clean, but 2200 cals a day. Now, the weight is starting to come off again. Feel free to connect with me and we can exchange ideas and support each other. Chgosportgal. Hang in there !! :smile:
  • vsetra01
    vsetra01 Posts: 1
    Options
    Been there! After my first baby, I went through this same thing. I felt "stuck" at every 10 lbs-- the 180s, 170s, 160s etc... and I felt frustrated until I reached that 'next' 10-pound range. I did what everyone else is saying on your forum. I made complete changes in my diet. I upped my calories a bit, ate different foods, started to do interval training, added more variety in my workouts and then I saw results. I got down to 135 after dedication and learning to not be so hard on myself. Now, after my second baby I am struggling with the same thing, but I know I can do it. AND YOU CAN TOO! Hang in there, research on the internet, change things up and good luck!
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So I've officially decided to face my fear and up my calories... a little bit! Maybe 1300 and I will hit that every day. I will also be adding variety to my workouts instead of just kickboxing as my primary exercise.

I love fruit but some people say it has too much sugar- thoughts?

Also- any good ideas for more protein? I tend to be a creature of habit and eat the same, safe foods. I need some ideas, I think!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking you've hit a plateau. I'm not exactly sure what you should do when they happens, as everyones opinion on it is different, but I've heard you up your calories to get your metabolism going again and you will lose. I'm sure someone will come a long here and give you better/more information.

Being "stuck" for a week is not a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you'll gain weight on the scale even if you do everything "right", sometimes it will stay the same. Other times you'll have a sudden loss, bigger than you expected. Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing. It's not something that happens overnight, but if you keep at it, you'll see the results you want.

With the amount you have to lose, you might want to raise your calories at some point to aim for 1 lb a week loss. (2 lbs a week is really more appropriate for people who are obese).
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need the same answers! Ill save this for later.... Thanks for posting.... You can add me if you want, maybe we can help each olther..... :)
  • khudsoncadm
    khudsoncadm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One thing I notice is you r not eating enough.
    Try this: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack (eat all of your calories). To keep your metabolism going you have to eat.
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    ... I'm scared to try and up my calories like so many people say to do because I'm afraid I will gain...

There is the problem right there. People are giving you the advice you are asking for, but you don't dare to trust them...Why keep asking if you will not follow the advice given? Try it for a couple weeks and see what happens.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    So I've officially decided to face my fear and up my calories... a little bit! Maybe 1300 and I will hit that every day. I will also be adding variety to my workouts instead of just kickboxing as my primary exercise.

I love fruit but some people say it has too much sugar- thoughts?

Also- any good ideas for more protein? I tend to be a creature of habit and eat the same, safe foods. I need some ideas, I think!

I was also worried about fruit having too much sugar, but I was told that it was "good" sugar because it's coming from fruit and not candy, cookies, cake, etc. I haven't stopped eating fruit, and I eat a lot of it and I'm not having any problems! Just don't eat junk food that has a lot of sugar.
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more some days your not even hitting 1,200. Also i'd try to bump up your calories a bit more, i know its scary ive hit a plateau and i just upped my calories and noticed ive lost 2 lbs good luck

This. And vary your food. Get more fresh veggies and fiber. CHeck out skinnytaste.com for some good recipes that will help you with protein.
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am set at 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lbs a week.

I work out 3-4 days a week

You're not hitting the 1200 target most days anyway, you should definitely eat a bit more. Also, I couldn't see much exercise logged. It looks like you're not logging them or eating them back...?

Also generally I'd say you could up your fresh fruit and vegetables. I wouldn't let the sugar in fruit stop you from eating it right now, better to get the nutrients from that than other snacks.

Good luck!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Being "stuck" for a week is not a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you'll gain weight on the scale even if you do everything "right", sometimes it will stay the same. Other times you'll have a sudden loss, bigger than you expected. Just be patient and keep doing what you're doing. It's not something that happens overnight, but if you keep at it, you'll see the results you want.

With the amount you have to lose, you might want to raise your calories at some point to aim for 1 lb a week loss. (2 lbs a week is really more appropriate for people who are obese).

Agreed! Some weeks you will lose more than expected, others less. Over a longer space of time the loss will average out so don't get too worried about what the scales say on 1 particular week. Your weight is coming down, so you're doing the right things. I always "gain" on the scales after drinking alcohol but after a few days it comes back down.

Aiming for 1lb a week may make the whole thing less restrictive for you and you won't be depriving yourself so much. Good luck with it!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't up the calories just yet. I say this because I looked at your food diary and you haven't eaten nearly enough with a 1200 limit. Also, I think you need more substance in your food. It appears to me that you are eating small picks, get more substance and you may feel stronger, which will allow you to workout better. How are you possibly working out, recovering on avereages of 900 cals aday. It is not doable long term. Iwould set goal right now to eat at least the 1200 you should be and then see what happens. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. My name is Norm. Regardless of what you decide, best of luck and I hope you do well.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions!!! I am going to eat more substantial foods and add more fruits and veggies. I know I don't always hit 1200 a day right now especially when I work out so I need to change that.
  • kipling527
    kipling527 Posts: 10
    Options
    Is there a certain limit to use up things other than calories? I workout alot also but it still seems I never use up all my calories. I'm only looking to lose 5-10 lbs.
  • stforste
    stforste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people, it's about disrupting the level your metabolism has settled into. This happend to me recently too. I found that increasing the calorie intake slightly for a few days then temporarily increasing the workout slightly too did the trick. I also found using pro-biotic drinks containing l-casei and keeping hydrated helped too. Remember alcohol is considered a poison by the body and processing is given priority meaning anything else you eat or drink is stored rather than broken down by the body until the alcohol is fully processed (it takes roughly 1 hour per unit).