Can't

Options
You know, I really hate that word.

While working out earlier this week, the thought popped into my mind: "You can't run, and you're silly for wanting to try."

So I started running. I couldn't do it for long, but I did it. The next day, I did it faster, for longer.

Today I stepped on the scale and saw that I'd gained a pound.

"See! Told you that you CAN'T do this."

:) I'm going to prove you wrong, voice. I CAN do this. Just watch me.

Replies

• rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Bahahaha! I like that. I'm going to start calling myself The Big Little Engine That Could.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Great job! Can't is not allowed in our vocabulary! Yes we can! I started walking with little running intervals about 2 years ago. I now run races! Am I fast? Not at all. Am I proud of myself? Yes I am! Can I? Yes I can!! way to be inspirational!
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You can talk yourself out of (or into!) almost anything. The little voice has a lot to answer to! :laugh:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    "Can't" should not even be in your vocabulary. Replace it with "Can".
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Good for you!

As I'm sure you already know, your body will fluctuate a LOT! during any given day. Mine is generally 5 or 6 pounds.

It could also be your body hanging on to a little extra fluid to protect muscles and things you may have "injured" while running. The body is amazing!

Keep on doing what you're doing and pretty soon that voice will be saying, Well I'll be danged! She CAN do it!! :bigsmile:
  • Anon4678
    Options
    "Can't" should not even be in your vocabulary. Replace it with "Can".

Certainly trying to do that. :)
  • Anon4678
    Options
    Great job! Can't is not allowed in our vocabulary! Yes we can! I started walking with little running intervals about 2 years ago. I now run races! Am I fast? Not at all. Am I proud of myself? Yes I am! Can I? Yes I can!! way to be inspirational!

That is awesome!!! You rock. :)
  • Anon4678
    Options
    Good for you!

As I'm sure you already know, your body will fluctuate a LOT! during any given day. Mine is generally 5 or 6 pounds.

It could also be your body hanging on to a little extra fluid to protect muscles and things you may have "injured" while running. The body is amazing!

Keep on doing what you're doing and pretty soon that voice will be saying, Well I'll be danged! She CAN do it!! :bigsmile:

Thank you so much! Seeing as I'm limping around because my thighs and hip flexors are freaking killing me, that's a definite possibility. All I care about is that my habits are better today than they were two weeks ago. The scale will eventually catch up. Thank you for being so supportive and offering constructive advice!!! :happy:
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K. Just about to start week 6. It seems that when I increase the number of minuates I run, I gain a little. My theory is that it is water retention in my leg muscles while they recover and repair themselves. You are probably experiencing the same thing. I really recommend the C25k program. There are several free and low costs apps for smartphones if that helps. In 6 weeks, I have gone from not running at all to running (albiet slowly) for 20 minutes straight yesterday, and a little over a mile! You CAN do this! Good luck on your journey!
  • Anon4678
    Options
    I am doing C25K. Just about to start week 6. It seems that when I increase the number of minuates I run, I gain a little. My theory is that it is water retention in my leg muscles while they recover and repair themselves. You are probably experiencing the same thing. I really recommend the C25k program. There are several free and low costs apps for smartphones if that helps. In 6 weeks, I have gone from not running at all to running (albiet slowly) for 20 minutes straight yesterday, and a little over a mile! You CAN do this! Good luck on your journey!

Thank you!! I'm definitely going to be looking into C25k, because I really would like to ease into being able to run more. Thank you for being awesomely supportive. Good luck to you on your journey as well! Keep up your hard work!!
  • risingphoenix12
    Options
    My children's school teach that CAN'T stands for "I C*ompletely A*dmit I'm N*ot T*rying"
  • carolinesmiles
    Options
    You're awesome! Just wanted to let you know.

:flowerforyou:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My children's school teach that CAN'T stands for "I C*ompletely A*dmit I'm N*ot T*rying"

love it! gonna have to tell that to the preschool teacher at the daycare I work at.
  • Anon4678
    Options
    You're awesome! Just wanted to let you know.

:flowerforyou:

You are so sweet! I think you're pretty awesome too. :)
  • alana1966
    alana1966 Posts: 34
    Options

OH LOVE THAT - I will be using that one on MY kids!!!!!
  • leighanngates
    leighanngates Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your post really got to me, because I say that word to myself way too much. I am trying to adopt a new attitude of not only "can", but WILL". Your thing about running though, made me remember something I saw a couple of years ago. It takes people who don't run and transforms them into people who do. This is the link to the page:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • marrizia
    marrizia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You already are proving that little voice wrong because you ARE doing it!
    Thank you for posting this- I really needed to see this. You've given me motivation from afar! I LOVE your positive attitude :)
  • Anon4678
    Options
    Your post really got to me, because I say that word to myself way too much. I am trying to adopt a new attitude of not only "can", but WILL". Your thing about running though, made me remember something I saw a couple of years ago. It takes people who don't run and transforms them into people who do. This is the link to the page:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Thank you so much!! You can definitely overcome saying that negative word, and I know you will!! :)
  • Anon4678
    Options
    You already are proving that little voice wrong because you ARE doing it!
    Thank you for posting this- I really needed to see this. You've given me motivation from afar! I LOVE your positive attitude :)

Thank YOU for taking the time to read and reply! I'm glad it gave you a boost! :)