Guilty feelings?

Options
Yesterday morning i broke into the 200's to 298lbs from a start of 351lbs 12 weeks ago.
I went to the shops to buy something for dinner and couldnt find what i wanted. So i spent about 30 minutes going round and round the shop picking up things, reading the nutrition data, putting them back. I was getting more and more frustrated and angry.
I picked up some liver which i quite like but also picked up a 150g bag of kettle crisps, 135g bag of maltesers and 2 bottles of 500ml ale.
Went home, had my liver, new potatoes and veg. All healthy. Then ate all the crisps, maltesers and drank the beer.
Went to bed feeling mad with myself. Got up this morning feeling awful, nearly threw up. Weighed myself and i was down again from yesterday morning!
Did a 2 hour hike across the fields this morning, loads of water and feel better now.
I don't feel guilty anymore.
Moral of the story.....It's probably not as bad as you think it will be.

Replies

• MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right - no need to have the big guilt trip or beat yourself up. We are in this for life, so an occasional splurge does not need to make us feel GUILTY.
  • starlikedolly
    starlikedolly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The important part (and the part I have thus far failed to remember) is that you got right back on plan.

Congrats on your loss to date, very inspiring stuff :)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yup, lately everyone I know on here has been hitting the sugar more than usual, and maybe it's astrology or weather or people's hormones or bad habits getting resolves by the planets or just that some stuff tastes good and so many people are rather isolated and tend to eat more than back in the old days when we had more social life or something. I'm glad you just dealt with it and moved on. Today is my day for that too.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You lost all that weight and you felt guilty?! :) Big well done!

And seriously, I've seen quite a few people on here who have lost an incredible amount of weight and go through an indefinite period of "falling off the waggon", then at some point they get back on and get on with it. That said, what you ate - it's not so much falling off the waggon, seems to me you've just treated yourself. And why not, you've earned it!

Don't ever feel guilty about it, for me getting guilty makes the whole thing worse. You've had a treat, along the way you're going to have more treats and that's a good thing. It's all about how you handle it. And hey, it didn't affect your weight loss! :)
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Congrats on your progress, good progress I would say in only 12 weeks.
    Don´t be too hard on yourself, we will all have one day here and one day there where our days are crappy and not so good foodwise. You will just do better today and for the next days to come.
    It´s ok to allow yourself something extra once in a while, just make sure you don´t buy too many or too much.
    I have had to fight myself on many occasions when I have something candy like in the house, I allow myself one and that is it, after that I´m strict with myself, that is ok as long as we don´t lose control, that way we can have some sweets without guilt.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The moral of your story made me happy. :smile:

It's what you do most of the time that matters most. A few slips are perfectly fine and normal.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I am now viewing it as a treat. That was my treat for breaking the 300 mark.
    So i have planned my next treat like that at 275lbs. Something to look forward to rather than worry about.
    Its strange cause thats the first alcohol i've had in 12 weeks and after i'd drunk them, i thought "well, i don't really need beer anymore". I do enjoy my sparkling water more than i did those beers.

I just don't have bad food in the house, then i don't get tempted. I do buy myself a small bag of maltesers every week though. I've earnt them.
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    dont feel guilty ever just keep doing your best ,best of luck alittle treat now and then isnt bad
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No guilt. This isn't a moral issue.

But stay healthy. You are doing SO WELL!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!