To skip or not to skip, that is the question.

Options
I am constantly debating what do eat everyday. I am not nor have ever been a breakfast eater, really. I have heard all the ideas that you need to eat something to jump start your metabolism for the day, blah blah blah. But the reality is I would rather skip breakfast and eat a normal lunch and bigger dinner. I would prefer to indulge a little more in the evening than 3 square meals a day. What does anyone think of this or does anyone do this or have tried this?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who needs breakfast otherwise I turn into a ravenous beast. If you can wait till lunch I say do it. If you start eating crap then import breakfast back in.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am constantly debating what do eat everyday. I am not nor have ever been a breakfast eater, really. I have heard all the ideas that you need to eat something to jump start your metabolism for the day, blah blah blah.

Those ideas are not backed by anything research based. The only remotely compelling argument one could make for breakfast being a necessity (given no individual medical necessity) would be it's effects on appetite control/food intake later in the day. And that's very much a matter of personal preference.

But the reality is I would rather skip breakfast and eat a normal lunch and bigger dinner. I would prefer to indulge a little more in the evening than 3 square meals a day. What does anyone think of this or does anyone do this or have tried this?

I do this, and I suggest you try it because it sounds like it would be a great fit for you.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I know it's cliche but how is that working for you? That is the only question I would be asking myself. If something works for me, the way I want it to, why would I want to change it. If it doesn't, I will try some of those blablabla's:wink: .

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I am constantly debating what do eat everyday. I am not nor have ever been a breakfast eater, really. I have heard all the ideas that you need to eat something to jump start your metabolism for the day, blah blah blah. But the reality is I would rather skip breakfast and eat a normal lunch and bigger dinner. I would prefer to indulge a little more in the evening than 3 square meals a day. What does anyone think of this or does anyone do this or have tried this?
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Generally it is not a good idea to skip meals as it might make you overeat later on in the day. I find that my body works best when fed smaller amounts more often. Also usually we are less active later in the day so your body has all this food "fuel" and nothing to do with it. But I'm no scientist, and even they always change their minds, so really see what works best for you and adjust from there.
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    They say the best method is actually to eat about 4 to 5 small meals a day. I never used to eat breakfast either, but I have found that eating in the morning helps with energy and I have seen more weight come off. I still generally eat a small amount in the morning compared to my other meals, but it does help. I know what you meal about indulging more in the evening but unfortunately that can be the worst time to indulge. I have found that you can have some really great dinners if you just watch what you are eating. Tilapia is great if you like fish and can be made multiple ways.

Hope that helps!
  • filippi
    filippi Posts: 4
    Options
    Breakfast is not such a big thing. If you like to eat when you wake up, eat breakfast, if not, skipping it could be a good thing. You might be interested reading about IF (intermittent fasting). I recommend you Leangains.com rippedbody.jp and marksdailyapple.com.
    Martin and Andrew (LG and rippedbody) have a more bodybuilding scheme. Marks is on the paleo-primal movement. Those are the blogs i frecuent, always good info in those sites
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I am constantly debating what do eat everyday. I am not nor have ever been a breakfast eater, really. I have heard all the ideas that you need to eat something to jump start your metabolism for the day, blah blah blah.

Those ideas are not backed by anything research based. The only remotely compelling argument one could make for breakfast being a necessity (given no individual medical necessity) would be it's effects on appetite control/food intake later in the day. And that's very much a matter of personal preference.

But the reality is I would rather skip breakfast and eat a normal lunch and bigger dinner. I would prefer to indulge a little more in the evening than 3 square meals a day. What does anyone think of this or does anyone do this or have tried this?

I do this, and I suggest you try it because it sounds like it would be a great fit for you.

^ This. I typically eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30 & 9:30 pm. I enjoy it more and it works for me. Feeding times wont hamper your weight goals.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Skipping any meal that contributes to your daily caloric goal is not something ideal. Not telling you to skip or not skip breakfast but with some people the hunger that builds up from not eating for long periods of times can lead to overeating. You don't really want to feel hungry through the day to the point where you will eat a lot more than you need to. Breakfast is something that you don't really need to eat a traditional breakfast meal. You have many alternatives to look into. What foods do you like eating in general?
  • melissa10666
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calories I don't thinkbreakfast will make any difference. Do what works best for you :)
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I'm the same way. If it works better for you than enjoy your bigger dinner.
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It seems that there are opinions across the board. If I skip breakfast I really don't start feeling hungry again until about noon, which would be when I eat lunch anyway. I have been losing weight steadily with an occasional granola bar or something in the morning but more often not. I just find myself in the evening if I don't have a bigger dinner I am always looking to snack about 10-10:30. It makes sense that as long as I stay under my calories then I am good. If i get hungry at night I look for junk food so that's not good for me.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It seems that there are opinions across the board. If I skip breakfast I really don't start feeling hungry again until about noon, which would be when I eat lunch anyway. I have been losing weight steadily with an occasional granola bar or something in the morning but more often not. I just find myself in the evening if I don't have a bigger dinner I am always looking to snack about 10-10:30. It makes sense that as long as I stay under my calories then I am good. If i get hungry at night I look for junk food so that's not good for me.

Honestly discipline is a big part of anyone's progress. Not that you need to be a food nazi that you have to design a plan to avoid complete failure or anything like that. One thing that you can do is move your last meal of the day an hour after if you have it for example at 6:00 pm on the dot. You can also encourage yourself to eat healthy snacks in between meals as long as they satisfy your caloric requirements.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    From what I have read and evaluated, imo, this is right. But..nutrients do matter, also just my opinion, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    The only thing that matters in terms of calories for weight loss is how many calories did you consume at the end of the day.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Ok, so I see here that this is working for you which is so awesome! I love seeing success stories. One thing with the junk food that has worked for me is to not keep it in the house, I bury it in the back yard:laugh: Ok, so I am full of it this a.m. but actually, I don't buy it then I can't eat it. I am too lazy to drive to the store to buy chips in the evening so this works really well for me:drinker: :drinker: denise
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what is right for you. Sometimes I want breakfast other times I'm not bothered.

ETA: I thought this thread was about skipping (jump rope) as we call it in the UK lol!! :laugh:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Once again it all comes down to what works for you and if it's working why change it? Breakfast is my main meal only because I have low blood sugars and if I don't eat it, I tend to overeat in the wrong way later.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 decent sized meals and 2-3 snacks spread out throughout the day so i end up eating around every 2-3 hours. i find that spreading out my calories helps me digest better.