My exercise bike posts 1/2 the amount of calories then HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    If it is a quality HRM and it is set up properly it is the more accurate estimate. What brand and what model and is it set up properly?

My HRM is a mio drive watch and it seems to be set up right. The only thing I'm questioning about it is if the resting heart rate effects the calories burned?

RHR is usually factored into the algorithym for calories burned. Does it have a chest strap. Most that don't and it seems that some models of this make don't, they are far less accurate.

No chest strap. I have to check heart rate every once in awhile to calculate calories burned. Half the amount just seems like a big difference.

Thats your problem right there.. it doesn't have a chest strap.

Non chest strap watches are not accurate in the slightest.

Return it ASAP and get one with a strap.. preferably a Polar.

^^^ that! def get one with a chest strap!
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everytime I come across a post on HRMs I get more confused......sigh....
  • twotall1s
    twotall1s Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would believe the HRM with a chest strap. I went and got a Garmin HRM and I looked up how accurate it was. According to the website they have very accurate calulations with the chest strap and that the calorie calulations have been tested in labs and stuff. I've been using it since April and have dropped lots of weight (32 lbs so far) so i tend to believe it. Get the chest strap! Awkward at first but well worth the investment as it gives me peace of mind. I can even see my heart rate drop or rise as I'm working out, very cool(unless I'm dogging it).
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think it had to do with my rhr being to high as soon as I adjusted it the calories ran higher and closer to the bike calories.

It definitely sounds like its the RHR setting. As this does affect your calories burned. I also currently have a Mio, not sure if mine is a 'Drive' (its a "petite" version). I figured this out when I noticed that all of a sudden I wasn't getting anywhere the same amount of calories burned as I had been.
    I scrolled thru the info and saw that somehow my RHR reset itself up to about 90, when it had been about 62. So the very next morning, I did my RHR again (this time 59) and it is now tracking what seems to be accurate calories.

I just ordered the Polar FT4 just because I can't stand constantly checking my heart rate during my exercise DVDs, and worse, when I am on my Trikke (which requires both hands to be on the handlebars, constantly shifting weight/direction to keep myself propelling forward). And I'm finding myself checking it constantly to get as accurate of a reading as I can.

*Just checked- mine is also a Mio Drive :-)
  • tobeftmom
    tobeftmom Posts: 52
    Options
    I think it had to do with my rhr being to high as soon as I adjusted it the calories ran higher and closer to the bike calories.

It definitely sounds like its the RHR setting. As this does affect your calories burned. I also currently have a Mio, not sure if mine is a 'Drive' (its a "petite" version). I figured this out when I noticed that all of a sudden I wasn't getting anywhere the same amount of calories burned as I had been.
    I scrolled thru the info and saw that somehow my RHR reset itself up to about 90, when it had been about 62. So the very next morning, I did my RHR again (this time 59) and it is now tracking what seems to be accurate calories.

I just ordered the Polar FT4 just because I can't stand constantly checking my heart rate during my exercise DVDs, and worse, when I am on my Trikke (which requires both hands to be on the handlebars, constantly shifting weight/direction to keep myself propelling forward). And I'm finding myself checking it constantly to get as accurate of a reading as I can.

*Just checked- mine is also a Mio Drive :-)

I wish I had bought another one. I didn't know you had to keep checking HR constantly.:sad:
  • tobeftmom
    Options
    So if you're heart rate is high does that mean you have to work twice as hard to get higher calories?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    So if you're heart rate is high does that mean you have to work twice as hard to get higher calories?

1. Never trust the calculation on the machines. They're typically pre-programmed for a 150# man. If you're not a man, and you're not 150#, it's going to be way off.

2. The higher your heart rate is, the more calories you burn, but you don't want to get it too high.

3. Chest strap.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

If your HR is high you ARE getting more calories than at lower HR.

As you improve, you will indeed be working harder to maintain that same high HR.

Same way you walk fast up a flight of stairs and get out of breath. Keep doing it at same pace and that stops. Not as much effort once in shape.

Higher HR also means more carb calories at that.

Which may be fine if these are short workouts, 30 min. If these are 60 min every day almost, make sure you are eating back enough carb calories before the next workout. If those energy stores aren't available, muscle will be used.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That is wild, in all my research of HRM, never saw a study that used RHR is calorie burn algorithms.

You'll find the Polar does NOT.

That Mio must be doing a straight line estimate from RHR to MHR, bringing in your age and weight hopefully. That has been shown to be very inaccurate in several studies.
    It's not a straight line from RHR, but only in the aerobic range is it decently straight.
  • tobeftmom
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I ended up returning the mio and am getting a polar :-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Good move!