Calling On All Success Stories!!!

Options
Nothing is more inspirational than hearing from others who have gone through (or are currently midway through) the same struggles you are going through. I am relatively new to this site and would love to hear from those of you who have lost at least 50% of the weight you set out to lose. How did you do it? What did you say to yourself that kept you going when your motivation was waning? Feel free to discuss any or all aspects of your weight loss: exercise, support system, dietary habits, etc. You never know what part of your story could motivate and inspire another MFP member, and I thank you for sharing in advance.:smile::flowerforyou:

Replies

• deekennedy33
    deekennedy33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I came to Florida, I was 117 pounds and 5' 4" which is not overweight. I just want to be healthier and toner. Ever since I watch what I eat and doing exercise to the gym at least 3 times a week, I dropped 10 pounds to about 107. Today I was 106.7 lbs but generally I kept on track at 107 and I felt great and happier :happy:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    If you want to know what kept me going, here it is...

Did you ever have someone call you "fat (insert anything here) or know that they made fun of you for it? How about the times you might have even joked about it yourself as a self defense mechanism to avoid feeling so angry or upset about it?

Well, when I felt like I was losing motivation, I would think about that, then think about how much: a) better looking than them that I am now (vanity, lol) b) healthier than they are now, and c) it didn't matter anymore what anyone said. I never wanted to be the person on the sharp end of those comments ever again and keep going to get to where I want to be.

Now I keep doing it for the compliments, the great feeling of feeling great and knowing that I did this and don't want to do it again :laugh: ever. I do it to try to be an inspiration to other people that might think they have had enough but don't think its something they can do. I do it to be a healthy inspiration to my 2 year old son whom I never want to experience the disaster of being an unhealthy or unfit kid / teen / adult ever.

Hope that helps. That's my motivation.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Every year I was seeing my doctor in early November for a medicine check. Over the years he kept adding or increasing the dosage of meds for my blood pressure, trigycerides, cholesterol, and blood sugar. Last year my son & daughter-in-law had our first grandchild. (Annika's picture is on my ticker). When I showed him her photo he asked, "Do you want to be around to play with that cute little girl in 10 years?" Of course I said "yes". He then said, "well, you better start doing something about your weight because you're on the slippery slope to Type II diabetes". That's all it took.

Now, I no longer have to take any meds for blood pressure, trigycerides, cholesterol, or blood sugar. He says I've added at least 10-15 years to my life and/or greatly increased the probabilities of thos extra years being in better health.

That, if nothing else anyone else here says, should be enough for anyone to stick with it. I know I am.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    This quote keeps me motivated a lot....
    "A year from know you'll wish you started today"
    It hit home that sooo many times I say tomorrow or after such and such event....If I would have only started then or got back on the "horse" after falling off I would have been at my goal. Everytime I want to give up I think "In a year do I want to be starting again?"

Another addition to my motivation is being a mom my kids can be proud of....my daughter told me the other day..."When I grow up I want to run races like Mom, she's fast" Well I'm not fast:laugh: but I was wearing a shirt from a 5k I did years ago....needless to say I'm going to sign up for a 5k asap! And make us all proud of me!
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. You have to make a lifestyle change. This is not a diet at all it truly is a lifestyle change and transformation. You eat healthy foods, drink lots of water and eat high fiber foods these two things help with keeping you feeling full longer, proteins will help with energy and stamina. Record everything in your food diary that you put in your mouth no matter what it is. Schedule time for exercise so that you will develope a good habit of doing the workouts instead of making excuses why not too. Every time a negative thought inners your mind say no and replace it with a positive thought. Example: I cannot do pushups stop instead replace that thought with I can do any thing I set my mind too. I cannot walk that mile instead say with every step I take I am getting healthier. See how you can take a negative thought and turn it into positive thought, in time you will begin to realize you can do these things and anything you want to do. Set small goals and work towards them. Then as you reach each one reward yourself with a non food item. Example: hair cut, manicure, bubble bath, day at the park, movie, article of clothing. Just keep going and if you fall off the wagon then just jump right back on and start again; but never beat yourself up over it just try to figure out what was the trigger that caused it and either address it or resolve it if you can so it does not happen again. You can do this keep going. God Bless, Brenda
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    This quote keeps me motivated a lot....
    "A year from know you'll wish you started today"
    It hit home that sooo many times I say tomorrow or after such and such event....If I would have only started then or got back on the "horse" after falling off I would have been at my goal. Everytime I want to give up I think "In a year do I want to be starting again?"

Another addition to my motivation is being a mom my kids can be proud of....my daughter told me the other day..."When I grow up I want to run races like Mom, she's fast" Well I'm not fast:laugh: but I was wearing a shirt from a 5k I did years ago....needless to say I'm going to sign up for a 5k asap! And make us all proud of me!
    Bad typing..."A year from now, you'll wish you started today"

Brenda -You are a true inspiration! You look fabulous!
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am blown away by these stories. You guys are incredible - what great role models! After reading these accounts, I feel better prepared to tackle my own weight loss. Thanks everyone, and I hope others will contribute to this thread as well. :smile: