What do you do to get up at 5 am to work out?

Options

Replies

• KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I get up at 6 and hang out with my fiance for half an hour. I tell myself at 6, If I don't get u and do this now, it wont happen later and you'll feel awful and annoyed with yourself. It makes me get up because at the end of the day otherwise I will feel like a failure and I will go in a loop and do the same thing for days.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Make sure my lunch is made and clothes are out for the day. Also, I have my DVD already in the Xbox, so that i can just get dressed and press play. Once I start moving, I lose the sluggish feeling. after a few days, you begin to be less groggy and eventually look forward to it. At first, its ALL a mind game. TEll yourself how important you are that you make yourself work out at that hour, just to get it done! You are worth it! And you prove it every day that you make the choice to get it done! :) Good luck!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Early in the morning is the only time I have to myself. After 6am its all about my daughter, work, friends, resposibilities, etc. So, I cant wait to get up in the morning for my "ME" time. I plan what I am gonna do with that couple hours the night before. Play on the internet, work out, respond to emails(yuk), catch up on some tv shows, read... I have come to cherish the early morning....
  • medicinemantoo
    Options
    The night before I look myself in the eyes in the mirror...gotta be honest with myself.

At 5am, if it feels rough, I look myself in the eyes again in that mirror...next thing you know I'm out the door on my run.
  • avelasquez13101987
    Options
    I set my clothes out the night before...so I don't disturb my wife and go to bed early. Once your body adjusts to waking up early your body will be ready for sleep much earlier...I am amazed at how much more energy I have throughout the day.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I am in bed by 9 to get up for the gym at 5. I also pack my bag with my work clothes, set my gym clothes out in the bathroom and have my stuff ready by the door. I make a batch of hard boiled eggs on Sunday nights and then I can grab one on the way out.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I set my alarm really low to a music station I like so it doesn't wake the kids only me...I hear anything odd in the house. Pretty light sleeper. I also have my clothes in my workout room ready to go so I don't disturb anyone.

I get up at 4:45 so I can work out by 5:15-5:30 while my chidren are sleeping. I know I won't get a lot done if they are in there with me trying to "help". LOL Plus, I'm able to get much more done during the day if I've worked out. That surprised me, I thought I'd be exhausted. But nope. :)
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    find the most annoying ringtone on your cell and set it as the alarm,as soon as it goes off pop out of bed like you were just sleeping in a toaster, go directly to the kitchen and down something with caffeine (i prefer strong tea that i make) which is about the same as 2 cups of coffee, by the time you go to the bathroom and get a small breakfast you have spent less than 20 minutes and you are zipping around like a bee......works for me anyway :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    go to bed early. ear plugs . if you live in the uk go to screwfix. you can get industrial ones really cheap. something like 150 pais for less than £20
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    pack my gym bag with my necessities so I can shower and change at the gym. My alarm is set for 315-330 so I can be at the gym by 410 (get up and have my morning protein shake before I go to the gym, feed my critters, toss my lunch in my bag for work). I am out the door by 4, in the gyms pool by 415. Work out for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes

It gets easier as time goes by. I actually kind of prefer getting up that early
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have to wake up 3X a week to teach my class. So, i do have all of my clothes, shoes, HRM ready next to my bed.

And, my new Droid phone, the alarm plays music. And you can set it so the music gradually gets louder. SOOO much better than a freaking alarm blaring!

But then, I just get up like a zombie, get dressed, brush teeth, pull hair back and then i am out the door.
  • PamelaGailJacobucci
    Options
    I go to bed at 9. I set my alarm for 4:45 am and hit snooze once. I'm at the gym by 5. At first it was hard, especially in winter. You get used to it though. I guess it comes down to how important your fitness goals are to you. To me, they're very important, so I get my butt out of bed and get going! Good luck!
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early, set 2 alarms (1 farther away from the other... so I have to actually get out of bed to turn it off), and I listen to music while getting ready. My ipod helps wake me up and usually after a few days of this, I get into the schedule and it takes less and less effort to get up!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get everything ready the night before. Clothes, shoes, water, towel, food. Etc. Even lay out your work clothes. Of course go to bed early. After a couple of days of this you will be crashing out by 9pm anyway!

Try really hard not to hit that snooze button. and jump out of bed when the alarm goes off.

I get up at 5 a couple times a week to work out. It's not so bad once you get there and start moving!

- Good Luck!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Set 2 alarms! Go to bed early and when you want to sleep later, remember your "why"...why you want to work out to begin with. Envision in your head what you want to look like. But make sure you're getting enough sleep the night before b/c if you get too little sleep, your workout will suffer and you'll run the risk of overtraining and getting sick...
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I naturally fall asleep at 9pm and get up at 4:30 ish...so I cant tell you how to do it. But I can say I LOVE to run and watch the sunrise. Or even run the whole time in the dark in winter. I love the peace and quiet of the morning. So set an alarm and enjoy the mornings!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 4:45, look at the time, groan. Get up brush my teeth and tell myself that I HAVE to do this.
    :)
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Get everything ready the night before. Clothes, shoes, water, towel, food. Etc. Even lay out your work clothes. Of course go to bed early. After a couple of days of this you will be crashing out by 9pm anyway!

Try really hard not to hit that snooze button. and jump out of bed when the alarm goes off.

I get up at 5 a couple times a week to work out. It's not so bad once you get there and start moving!

- Good Luck!

this^^
  • shannonjamie
    Options
    Get up at 3.30 to workout and my partner is my alarm clock. Usually get out the door around 4. Helps if everything is ready and set to go in your workout bag the night before so you just need to jump up, have a wash n go. Usually wake up about halfway through warm up
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    It's my only chance to workout because it gets too hot the rest of the day for me and I will literally get sick. Just tell myself this and go to bed early.