Need advice from "Bulkers"...

Options
Not for me - but, my husband. Since I've been losing a fair amount of weight on a pretty regular basis, he is starting to get paranoid... He asked me if he was too skinny. I think he is concerned that I'm going to get eyes for someone else - which I assured him won't happen. Regardless - he wants to start putting on some muscle and asked me if I would post for him to get some info of what he ought to be doing.

Stats: He is 28, 5'10", and 130 lbs - very thin framed. (I'm talking - I look like a walrus standing next to him.) He's been this way most of his life, he doesn't eat super healthy - except for the meals that I make for him. He's big on sweets/fats/carbs. He doesn't ever gain weight. In the 7 years we've been together I've gained and lost 60 or so pounds, but he's never gotten above 130. He doesn't ever work out, but I don't think he is opposed to it. He keeps saying, "I need to go to the gym" and things like that.

Any advice?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Get him in the gym doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, lat pull downs/pull ups, and rows for the middle back.

Probably needs to eat in the ballpark of 4000 calories.

He will gain some fat with muscle, but as a default lean guy should be fine once he's hit a bit over a weight he likes (have to burn off the fat later).
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Get him in the gym doing squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, lat pull downs/pull ups, and rows for the middle back.

Probably needs to eat in the ballpark of 4000 calories.

He will gain some fat with muscle, but as a default lean guy should be fine once he's hit a bit over a weight he likes (have to burn off the fat later).

In a nutshell
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - is there anything in particular he ought to be eating? 4000 cals is like triple what I eat... LOL!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Oh - and I can pack his snacks/lunches, and make his breakfasts too. I've got no problem helping him attain his goals in any way I can. He is super supportive of mine, so it's the least I can do.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm responding to get the attention of some of my male MFP friends....but eat a lot, lots of protein, and pick up heavy things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks guys - is there anything in particular he ought to be eating? 4000 cals is like triple what I eat... LOL!

Lean meats, (aka lots of protein) and protiein shakes can help and probably should be aiming to get 150g's of protein at least.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I'm responding to get the attention of some of my male MFP friends....but eat a lot, lots of protein, and pick up heavy things.

Thanks, I appreciate your help!
  • chadbobby
    chadbobby Posts: 11
    Options
    Alo
    Along with proteins he needs carbs, pasta, potatoes,etc... u can also seek weight gainers from a vitamin shop.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    We eat a lot of lean meat, so that wont be hard - but, he eats like a bird. I'm not joking at all when I say 2 slices of pizza is all he can handle, and whenever we go out to eat, he brings at least half of his meal home. (Man - if I had taken my hunger cues from him a long time ago - I wouldn't need to lose this weight!)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We eat a lot of lean meat, so that wont be hard - but, he eats like a bird. I'm not joking at all when I say 2 slices of pizza is all he can handle, and whenever we go out to eat, he brings at least half of his meal home. (Man - if I had taken my hunger cues from him a long time ago - I wouldn't need to lose this weight!)

I have found that if i increase the frequency of my meals, I was then able to increase the amounts. So if you normally eat 6 oz of chicken, slowly increase to 7 oz and then 8 oz. Over time, the ability to eat higher quantities will improve. I have also found muscle milk to be very helpful as it's 300 caloris for two scoops. Also, cooking foods in EVOO and eating stuff like nuts and peanut butter help a lot.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    wow I could have written this post lol :) My boyfriend is pretty thin and since I've started working out and such he's gotten all insecure I feel like. Sometimes he will point out muscular men when we're out and ask me if I like that or want him to look like that! LOL. He's not quite that small though, he's 6'5 and weighs around 190 but he's really skinny even though he is a framer. (builds houses) He's basically lifting and carrying heavy things all day long! He is really very strong but you couldn't tell by looking at him. And he eats like a horse so I really don't understand how he stays so thin. Maybe his metabolism will slow down one of these days?
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    get on a legit program like starting strength or stronglifts

eat lots of food, mainly in carbs and protein, a really good method is 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats, thats a rather lean bulk

hardest thing for him will be to eat more, try to get him to start logging his food using MFP

start at 3000 cals until he can comfortably eat that amount every day with no problem, then add 300 cals till he can eat 3300 cals with no problem each day, and so on till he gets to around 4000 cals. once he gets to 4000 cals a day just tell him to pay attention to the scale, if its not moving, add 100 cals to each day, wait a week or two, if its still not moving add another 100 cals, and so on and so on

hope that helps a little bit, good luck!
  • chadbobby
    chadbobby Posts: 11
    Options

I have found that if i increase the frequency of my meals, I was then able to increase the amounts. So if you normally eat 6 oz of chicken, slowly increase to 7 oz and then 8 oz. Over time, the ability to eat higher quantities will improve. I have also found muscle milk to be very helpful as it's 300 caloris for two scoops. Also, cooking foods in EVOO and eating stuff like nuts and peanut butter help a lot.
    ^^^^This
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I found this video very helpful for setting up calories and macros (protein, fats and carbs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhtjYoU9aQ

To me, it makes far more sense to base macros off body weight and actual need than percentages but thats just my opinion.

Since he is brand new to lifting he should try to maximize the gain new lifters see by eating in a surplus around 500. He can adjust this later if he starts getting a little squishy. : )

Next is to pick a program. Starting strength or stronglifts will work great. Pretty much any program will show gains especially with a new lifter but stick to it for a few months before changing to something else. Muscle gain takes a long time. All the new weight and bulkiness you see in the first couple weeks will be a lot of water retention. It is hard not to mistake it for real mass gain.

That being said drink a lot of water. : )
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Which would be better Stronglifts or Starting Strength - he does have a disc problem in his back - but his Dr told him working out might help repair it - since it's due to poor muscle quality?
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Which would be better Stronglifts or Starting Strength - he does have a disc problem in his back - but his Dr told him working out might help repair it - since it's due to poor muscle quality?

Flip a coin. Both are good. The main things is focus on form at first and be consistent in all aspects; food, gym, rest. But you know based on your own experience. The other thing is reinforce for him, that it is about building a better him. There is no comparing himself to some other guy in the gym and quitting because he had an ego issue.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options

Flip a coin. Both are good. The main things is focus on form at first and be consistent in all aspects; food, gym, rest. But you know based on your own experience. The other thing is reinforce for him, that it is about building a better him. There is no comparing himself to some other guy in the gym and quitting because he had an ego issue.

I totally understand what you are saying. He's done a fantastic job reinforcing my new habits - so I want to do the same for him.

Just about everything I'm reading in vs and comparisons online say the SL program might be slightly better for true beginners or people with back problems - so I suppose I'll get him the info on that.

Again, I really appreciate everyones help.

It won't do to have my man thinking I'm going to run off. :) I just want to be a supportive as possible.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think he is concerned that I'm going to get eyes for someone else - which I assured him won't happen.
    Any advice?

You've been given some good advice from the guys on here, but I wouldn't tell him by starting "I've been chatting to some really nice muscley guys online...."
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think he is concerned that I'm going to get eyes for someone else - which I assured him won't happen.
    Any advice?

You've been given some good advice from the guys on here, but I wouldn't tell him by starting "I've been chatting to some really nice muscley guys online...."

LOL!!!! Right, you'd best say you just googled the info!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Any advice?

Hahahaha - No. I just told him that I knew some guys on MFP who were there to gain. So he asked me to get their advice. :) Personally - I prefer lean guys to muscular ones. Farmer boys.