Ok, world. I'm opening myself up to you.

Options
I just put my diary at public for the purpose of opinions. Basically, how am I doin'? :P Am I eating enough? Not enough? Do I need more of something? A little less of something else? Help a weight loss sister out :)

I'm 5'2''
Currently 125lbs
Not looking so much to lose weight as I am to lose my tummy. Goal is to be bikini body ready by October (wedding/honeymoon)

Thanks so much!

Replies

• FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to eat AT LEAST your minimum amount of calories. Don't be afraid!

Keep up logging, it'll get easier. Try to stay away from the processed foods, and wean yourself off of those chemical drinks. I know they're convenient, but they don't make it any easier for you to not crave the bad choices.

Good luck!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Remember to track your water.
    Maybe take a multivitamin in case you're deficient in any area.

You're doing great.
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I take a multi vitamin daily and always forget to log my water, haha. But I try to average 80-100 ounces a day :) And I'm TERRIFIED of my numbers being red. It's like a failure or something so I know sometimes I stay too low =\
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is what I see as the issues. You under eat most days (red doesn't mean failure) and you are eating a lot of process carbs. In fact, your carbs are too high most days and you are very light in your protein.

What kind of exercise are you doing? Also, how old are you?
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    I'm 24 and a pescetarian (I only eat seafood for my meat) So that's the lack of protein. Right now I'm a treadmill queen. I run at least an hour a day 6 days a week :)
  • lauren518
    lauren518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hii. so based on your stats your bmr is at least 1370, so i would suggest upping your calories to 1400 and eating back some of your excercise calories.
    i recently upped my calories to 1700 from 1200 and i gained a pound and stayed there for a few weeks but now (4 weeks later) i have started losing again and i lost a little over a pound this week and im happier than ever because i eat everything i want to!
    it doesnt seem right, but some how eating more really does help you lose weight!

and do you do steady cardio or intervals? i would suggest adding in interval training if you dont because thats really how you burn fat doing cardio, and also incorporating weight training is superrrr important if you dont already.
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    Thanks so much! I probably should add more calories, so I'm going to make it another challenge to do so :) And I have a heart rate monitor so I try to keep my heart rate in the "zone" when I run with walking breaks to bring it down. Sloooowly starting to add in strength, haha. I'm just a wuss with weights :P
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm 24 and a pescetarian (I only eat seafood for my meat) So that's the lack of protein. Right now I'm a treadmill queen. I run at least an hour a day 6 days a week :)

Well based on your stats, I would have you eating 1750 calories total each day (and do not eat back exercise calories as it's already in your TDEE). There are two things you really need to do in order to help fat lost. First, get off the treadmill and start picking up some heavy weights (so you can't do more than 8 reps). Weight traing is much more effective at burning body fat, which is what you want in order to tighten your body. Second, find a way to increase protein. High protein diets (for you around 100g of protein) are much more effective than high carb diets to cut fat/weight. So either eat more fish or add whey/soy or whatever you can do in order to fit the protein in and maintain your style of eating.

Too much cardio will just make you maintain your fat and will increase the chances of lbm loss.
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    [/quote]

Well based on your stats, I would have you eating 1750 calories total each day (and do not eat back exercise calories as it's already in your TDEE). There are two things you really need to do in order to help fat lost. First, get off the treadmill and start picking up some heavy weights (so you can't do more than 8 reps). Weight traing is much more effective at burning body fat, which is what you want in order to tighten your body. Second, find a way to increase protein. High protein diets (for you around 100g of protein) are much more effective than high carb diets to cut fat/weight. So either eat more fish or add whey/soy or whatever you can do in order to fit the protein in and maintain your style of eating.

Too much cardio will just make you maintain your fat and will increase the chances of lbm loss.
    [/quote]

Thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Here is what I see as the issues. You under eat most days (red doesn't mean failure) and you are eating a lot of process carbs. In fact, your carbs are too high most days and you are very light in your protein.

I agree with this - would definitely recommend you eat more, and up the protein.

To be honest, what works for me in removing belly fat, is to cut out sugar and yeast. Give it a try for 2 weeks and see - berries allowed but no bananas, no yeasted breads, no refined sugar.
  • heatherfitz
    Options

I agree with this - would definitely recommend you eat more, and up the protein.

To be honest, what works for me in removing belly fat, is to cut out sugar and yeast. Give it a try for 2 weeks and see - berries allowed but no bananas, no yeasted breads, no refined sugar.

Oh, there's an idea. I'll definitely have to try that out :)
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Just saw this post and was having same discussion with my wife :) wanted to throw in my two cents. psulemon and lauren518 hit on some key things that will really make a difference. if you are on the treadmill that much I'd suggest you swap out 2 of your 6 days for reistance training (weights). That will help really kick your metobolism up and burn calories outside of just your 1hr a day. extended cardio will canabolize your muscle to make your body more efficient thus burning LBM and not fat, adding resistance in there will not only maintain that LBM but help your body focus on burning fat. I forget who said it but shoot for 8-10 reps, 3 sets of compound joint exercises. I hope this helps if you have anymore questions I'd be happy to elaborate further.
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    Just saw this post and was having same discussion with my wife :) wanted to throw in my two cents. psulemon and lauren518 hit on some key things that will really make a difference. if you are on the treadmill that much I'd suggest you swap out 2 of your 6 days for reistance training (weights). That will help really kick your metobolism up and burn calories outside of just your 1hr a day. extended cardio will canabolize your muscle to make your body more efficient thus burning LBM and not fat, adding resistance in there will not only maintain that LBM but help your body focus on burning fat. I forget who said it but shoot for 8-10 reps, 3 sets of compound joint exercises. I hope this helps if you have anymore questions I'd be happy to elaborate further.

Thank you! I mainly end up doing so much treadmill because I run on my lunchbreaks (and eat at my desk), so there's an hour right there. I honestly don't know what to do with myself if I'm not running on my break, haha. But I'm most certainly going to start in some strength training probably 3-4 times a week alternating. Thanks again for your help and for breaking it down :)