What to look for in a bike

Options
I am wanting to purchase a new bike but I have no idea what to look for. I am a wimp as far as riding with traffic in the road...makes me way too nervous. I would probably bike on bike paths and around my neighborhood. Any suggestions on what to buy? I don't have a lot to spend. I'd love to find something on my local Craigs List but I don't have a clue of value/features/etc. I am also hoping to do my first triathlon next summer. Help?

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I ride on paved bike paths in los angeles. I don't want to get creamed by some inattentive driver updating their facebook, so i don't ride on the street, either.
    I looked at the bikes on craigslist to see what was out there, and I found something called a "hybrid". It looks like a mountain bike, but has skinny road bike tires, and no suspension. I think it's ideal for general bike riding on paved surfaces. It has an upright riding position which is comfortable, and 21 speeds, so it can be fairly fast.
    My bike is a Univega Via montega..it was $130, but i think it could have been purchased for less...it needed a shifter ($9 on amazon) and tires...they are pretty expensive, like 7 for the tube and $20 for the 700-23c tire.
    I also needed a special pump for the "presta" valve on the tubes...
    I love it...it feels good to ride. It's not clunky like a cheap walmart mike. It's lightweight, so I have no problem lifting it in and out of my car. The seat and wheels can be removed without tools for fitting in a car trunk or whatever.

So what should you look for? A name brand bike like a Specialized, Trek, GT, etc, that is light and is built well. If you don't like it you can sell it easily. Avoid a clunky, heavy cheap walmart / swap meet bike at all costs...they are so horrible you will get tired of riding quickly.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    the color is all that matters :glasses: