UGH I'm getting pretty disgusted with myself

Options
Okay, so i've recently started a diet...I can't get myself to commit. I have tried everything from motivational reading to putting myself down to putting a very bad picture on the refrigerator of myself. Nothing seems to be working...if anyone has any ideas on how to help PLEASE speak up!

Replies

• MissVitaVonCherry
    MissVitaVonCherry Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I don't know what to say except for you to REALLY push yourself!
    Everytime you think about eating something wrong, throw it away! Chances are you arn't gonna dig in the trash for it! and when you feel hungry drink 2 cups of water as fast as you can and then if you still feel hungry then eat a fruit or veggie :)
    Good luck to you and I am here if you have any questions! I was a very athletic girl in high school as well, and am a certified EMT (not working in the field though) :bigsmile:
    Ive lost 70 pounds on this journey (3years) and am doing it steady and healthy!:bigsmile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    all I can say is that you have to really want it in order to do it or anything
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Set small goals and then reward yourself with clothing, swimsuit, dessert, vacation or a night out

See your doctor and have your cholesterol checked; sometimes, that's a wake up call

STICK TO IT

I just started today...small goals are the key to anything

Kim S.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Bust open and book and learn what being over weight can do to you. Diabetes is a very horrible disease. I work as a caregiver for the elderly and it's awful to see how that disease can deform your body.

Take control of yourself. Control control control. You're in charge of you and it is gonna feel really good being in charge of a healthy, confident woman.

Just do it already and stop being disgusted with yourself. :explode:
  • kqxx10
    kqxx10 Posts: 2
    Options
    Start fresh for your diet; remove every food from your home except those foods that will contribute to your weight loss.
    Drink LOTS of water, and if you get tired of it, add Crystal Light On-the-Go packets, specifically the hunger satisfaction kind.
    Try eating more frozen things; they take longer to eat and make you not feel as hungry, such as freezing a sugar-free juice, then making a slushee or popsicles out of it.
    Also try to count/wait for 100 seconds before you want to eat something, and durning that waiting time remember why you really don't need that food(if it is of the unhealthy kind).
    If you dine out, ask for a to-go box before you start your meal and put half of it in there.
    Hope these tips help.
  • sara1786
    sara1786 Posts: 101
    Options
    If I see something i want to eat- ill take ONE BITE of it and put it back. I love ice cream so I'll have one large spoonful per night... its just enough to satisfy my craving. Honestly, it gets easier to resist too. When I first started I had a lot of trouble. Now, instead of having a bowl of ice cream I'll have a spoonful and an apple. The more weight I lose and the farther into my diet I get- the less I want artificial sweets and the more I crave natural sugars. That's just me though.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    honestly, you have to be ready to begin. I have done this over and over and over and over, and finally at the end of Feb. I really decided I wanted it. I have been steadily losing since.... I could have lost more weight since then. But my attitude is slow and steady so I do not get discouraged and fall off the wagon. I have also found that sharing what I am doing with others has kept me going because they are always asking, "how much have you lost now" I want that number to change once in a while so I can tell them an even bigger number... You can do this.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is go one minute, one hour, one day at a time. I stopped at my grandma's after work today, and like all grandma's, she had candy sitting out. I had like six or seven squares of dark chocolate while we sat and talked (yay at least dark chocolate is kinda good for ya). So despite the fact that I got home late and haven't made dinner yet, I immediately put on my work out clothes and hit the bike.

I stopped after 10 minutes to get the fan cause I was sweating my brains out, and I saw that I had burned 130 calories. I set a goal for myself to burn 300, so back at it I went. A few songs later (about ten minutes later) I checked again and I was at 297, so I figured one more song and I would be done. When that song was done I saw that I only had 5 more minutes until I hit 30 minutes, so I kept going and I ended up burning 400 calories overall. Setting a goal of 30 minutes would have seemed too daunting at first, but by setting small goals and then continuing on, I ended up with better results than what I had originally planned. Just keep at it!

Oh, and now I'm not very hungry and its late, so I am just going to have a small dinner, and save even more calories.
  • courtneyweiss
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!! :happy:

I've tried to lose weight before; have had successes that have turned into massive failures. What I'm finding is helping this time is eating the foods I love (had falafel tonight...YUM!), changing the recipes to be a little healthier, and exercising portion control. I'm finding that I'm losing weight and I'm not having any crazy cravings. This is not going to result in fast weight loss, but I figure slow and steady is better anyways.

It will happen for you! Follow the calorie guide here on MFP and try and get some exercise on most of the days of the week. Take baby steps, and rely on the incredibly supportive people here. We are here for you!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Negative self-talk does not work, it just tears you down more than you already are. You need to give yourself lots of positive encouragement. If you wouldn't say it to your best friend, you shouldn't be saying it to yourself. There's nothing wrong with sitting down and spending some time with yourself going over your goals, and finding some positive reinforcement. Instead of posting a bad photo of yourself, post a photo of an outfit you really like, or something representing what you want to achieve. I look at my driver's license photo once in a while and look forward to taking a new one next year when I'm a lot lighter, but I would never post that god awful thing on the fridge. :tongue:

To be successful at this it takes 2 things- positive self talk, and the ability to force yourself to do things you really don't want to do...like me taking that walk tonight. Didn't want to, but knew I had to. Try focusing on the health aspect of it all. You have to be healthy, because if you don't have your health, you don't have much.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    So don't do that "diet." figure out something that will work for you.

you also need to acknowledge that if you can't stick with it, chances are you don't want it enough. accept that, and then overcome it.

just focus on logging. the eating adjustments will develop from that easier than you think.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    First off get rid of the "diet" mentality. Diet inherently has negative connentations around it, and leads you to believe that this is temporary.

Rather think in the terms of life style change. I didn't just decide one day I was going to eat healthy and started eating healthy. NO. Doesn't work like that.

Instead, Start doing research into healthy foods you WILL eat. Do some research into what you are currently eating. I know that pissed me off enough to want to change. While you're doing research pick one unhealthy food you are currently eating and drasticly reduce your consumption of it. Get comfortable with it. Once you've mastered that try and eliminate something else.

For me it just started with wanting to reduce my Mt Dew consumption, and from there I went on to other parts of my food consumption.
  • berlin80210
    berlin80210 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One day at a time... like with smoking - NEVER QUIT QUITTING!

Never Quit Quitting Unhealthy Habits. One day, it'll stick :wink:

Oh, and, use this board. It's the best lil' motivational group around!
  • juliep63
    Options
    I agree - you have to consider it a lifestyle change. It's okay to treat every now and then, but really, you have to be ready to overhaul your life.
  • reefkeeper
    Options
    You must be ready for a lifestyle change. If you are, it will all fall into place. Just start..., measure your intake (with a scale, it is a must). I have the biggest loser scale from bb&b. Don't eat anything without putting into your food list. And trust me the pounds will start falling off. You will feel better, then start exercising more, then etc.... You can do it.
  • 4mricandy
    4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My experience is simple...
    If you are not "mentally" ready to lose weight...it ain't gonna happen!

Good luck to you. I hope you "find" it.
  • maiya_1
    Options
    don't "diet". you're not on a diet, you need to change the way you look at food (join the club!:) YOu're in the right place, the first thing you should do is start keeping track of everything (EVERYTHING) you eat. this site is the best way to do that. I have tried many times like so many of us, but if you're like me it's just easier to say "oh, I can eat that cause I'll walk tomorrow" or " well, it's lowfat" etc. I know 'cause I've said them all.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, otherwise you'll just give up (been there!) Start by just keeping track for a few days, and look for little things you can change that won't make you feel deprived but will make a big difference calorie wise. For example, ice cream is a huge downfall of mine (one of many) but if I have the fudgesicles on hand, I can survive.

Mountain Dew is another biggie, but as long as I have coffee in the morning I can do without (then no caffiiene headache)

Also really start paying attention to food labels when you shop, and look up nutrition information before you go out to eat (it's so easy with the web:)

What i've been doing is printing out my food log every day and looking for little things I can change. Example, the other day I had what I thought was a pretty healthy sandwich 'cause it was low sodium lunchmeat and wheat bread. By the time I added it all up it was like 1500 mg of sodium (I have high cholesterol, so I have to watch) I used less meat and cheese today, had a few (just a few, one serving) of doritos, and a yogurt and it was almost half!! (less calories, and everything else too) and I was full.

Since keeping track I have been under my calories almost every day, and today was the first time I was under my sodium (about two weeks)

For me the bottom line is no matter how bad I do today, at least I know how bad!!! Then, what can I do better tomorrow? Take it one day at a time and don't give up:happy: :smile:
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i really love the idea of freezing items...thanks for the good advice