Brown rice vs. White rice. Fried vs. Steamed

2»

Replies

• shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    I have NEVER seen brown rice fried... That CAN'T taste good... :sick:

I fry my own brown rice & it's delish :)
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    While we are on the subject of rice....this has been bothering me for a couple of weeks and would really love some opinions/advice?

MFP logs:
    1 cup of long grain white rice as 205 calories
    1 cup of long grain brown rice as 216 calories
    1 cup of medium grain brown rice as 218 calories.

My packet of medium grain brown rice sitting right here in front of me, says that HALF a cup has 352 calories in it??????

That is a MASSIVE difference.

Can anyone explain what this is about? They are weighing raw rice, not cooked.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Your package is probably saying raw/uncooked ... it's usually (depending on how you cook it) about 3x once cooked ... so using my fuzzy math, once cooked, that would yield 1 1/2 cups ... pretty close
    While we are on the subject of rice....this has been bothering me for a couple of weeks and would really love some opinions/advice?

MFP logs:

My packet of medium grain brown rice sitting right here in front of me, says that HALF a cup has 352 calories in it??????

• Ayla70

MFP logs:

Oh, and just for the record, the packet of WHITE long grain rice I have sitting here in front of me says 1 cup has 151 calories in it.

No wonder some of us don't lose weight on certain days. We are probably consuming a LOT more calories in that day than we think, based on trusting the system/database here.
  • Ayla70
    Your package is probably saying raw/uncooked ... it's usually (depending on how you cook it) about 3x once cooked ... so using my fuzzy math, once cooked, that would yield 1 1/2 cups ... pretty close

MFP logs:

So are you saying that the 1 cup on the database here is cooked weight, not raw weight?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    That would be my guess, yes.

I found often the pastas/rices are logged on here as cooked ... I weigh/measure everything raw. Sometimes if I'm looking for something specific I'll use words like raw or uncooked in my search (if that's what I'm trying to find) ... there is uncooked rice logged in here too.

But to your second point, yes, make sure you're logging accurate numbers ... the DB is actually quite good, but there is some odd things logged in there ... or rice that isn't logged as "cooked" or "uncooked" and you have to guess ... most of it is pretty solid.

MFP logs:

So are you saying that the 1 cup on the database here is cooked weight, not raw weight?
  • Ayla70

I found often the pastas/rices are logged on here as cooked ... I weigh/measure everything raw. Sometimes if I'm looking for something specific I'll use words like raw or uncooked in my search (if that's what I'm trying to find) ... there is uncooked rice logged in here too.

But to your second point, yes, make sure you're logging accurate numbers ... the DB is actually quite good, but there is some odd things logged in there ... or rice that isn't logged as "cooked" or "uncooked" and you have to guess ... most of it is pretty solid.

MFP logs:

OMG you are so right...I've just tried it all again, and even though I was searching for 'raw', the data that came up is definitely cooked! Who weighs cooked rice? I weigh everything raw, and then log everything I do to it. For example if I'm having roast veges like last night, nothing on my diary would suggest that, you'd have to figure it out by the log of veges, then the spray oil. Simply because I trust nothing where doing this right is concerned. Had I eaten rice the night I was going to based on the database here (which I agree, is amazing!), I'd have gone so far over my calories for the day it wouldn't be funny.

I guess the lesson is you just have to be so careful, you can't get complacent.
  • frmrdtr
    frmrdtr Posts: 39 Member
    I just read the box my brown rice comes in, instead of trying to find it in the database. I've found sometimes the database is way off and I need to make sure it matches what the box says. The box says 2/3 cup cooked is only 150 calories.

I love brown rice! Sometimes I dabble a little Molly McButter on to for a little zip...

Thanks for all the info on brown vs. white!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Mmm rice.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member

MFP logs:

OMG you are so right...I've just tried it all again, and even though I was searching for 'raw', the data that came up is definitely cooked! Who weighs cooked rice? I weigh everything raw, and then log everything I do to it. For example if I'm having roast veges like last night, nothing on my diary would suggest that, you'd have to figure it out by the log of veges, then the spray oil. Simply because I trust nothing where doing this right is concerned. Had I eaten rice the night I was going to based on the database here (which I agree, is amazing!), I'd have gone so far over my calories for the day it wouldn't be funny.

I guess the lesson is you just have to be so careful, you can't get complacent.

Who weighs cooked rice? Me!
    Actually I usually use a cup measure, though sometimes I'll weigh it.

I don't see the point in weighing it raw, because I'm always going to cook more than a single serving size so then I'd still have to portion it out after it's cooked anyway. But hey, if it works for you - go for it!

The key to the MFP database is to remember that most of the data is user entered, so there is no standardisation about entering things like dry vs cooked rice. The way around it is to search on the one you want - "rice dry" or "rice cooked" for example. Otherwise, there is just no way to know what the person who entered it intended. I also usually look for entries with no * in front as these have been entered my MFP and are much more likely to be accurate and to have a range of measurements (cups, gram etc).
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    If the choice is really between fried brown or steamed white, go with steamed white. You'll spare yourself all the calories of oil, and you can get fiber from other places.
    Brown rice has some fiber, but it's not a fiber powerhouse.