Shin Splints - Beginner Runner

Options
Help!

I've started the Couch to 5k running program at the start of July. I have ran 11 times since then so about every second day. I have never been a runner so I thought the Couch to 5k program would be a great idea as it gradually introduces you to running throughout the course of 8 weeks. I am currently on week 4 and for the past week or so I have been experiencing pain in the inner front of my leg right on the bone. I was reading up that this could be shin splints. Today after my run it was worse then the previous days. I tried adding a slight incline to see if that would help but it didn't help. (I run on the treadmill btw)

I read that this is caused by overdoing it. I don't feel I have been running too much. I am only up to running 16 min out of the 30min. I do have flatter feet... could this be the cause? I don't want to have to stop with my running as I love it! Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there stretches that I can be doing that would help? Arch supports for my shoes?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Not sure if I can help you as I am only up to week2 and run outside...

However, the first run I did I got really sore and so I spent ~10minutes looking at videos of proper running technique and this has helped immensely and also made me go a bit faster.

So I would definitely recommend doing that, however on treadmill it may be a bit different.

I think main points are...
    1) Always look forward and don't look down at your feet (I was doing that).
    2) Try keep a reasonably straight body from feet to head and stand tall.
    3) keep elbows in to your side and move them back and forward as u run a reasonable amount.
    4) try to keep your feet pointing forwards as you run.
    5) lean forward from your shins (this is the one I found most interesting, when I consciously do this, even when I am walking I can feel myself going faster - it makes gravity help you more)

Also people are going to say make sure you have proper running shoes, which I dont yet have, but probably should get
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    first off, go get fitted for running shoes. You have a whole different mechanic to your foot because of your flat arch. It causes your foot to roll, you need a good stability running shoe. That alone may do the trick. If that doesn't alleviate it completely, try compression stockings with the running shoes.
  • maberdine
    maberdine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definetly get your shoes checked out. When I started running I got really bad shin splints. My doctor told me to take a couple of weeks off running. I went to a running store and they put me on a treadmill and filmed me running. I had a pronation (sp?) when I ran. My feet rolled inwards as I ran. They picked some shoes to correct that and I haven't had any problems with shin splints since. I'm now up to running 5 miles, 3 days / week.
  • atlanticgypsy
    atlanticgypsy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    warm up and cool down! So important to stop/hinder shin splints!

warm up:

lay on your back one leg straight out with foot flexed while the other leg is up & bent at the knee. keep the leg still as you do...

foot circles: alternate 30 each way
    foot point & flex: 30

lunges are also a good way to warm up the leg muscles before a run. but foot circles are really a must.

when cooling down:
    1min. each stretch.

hamstrings stretch
    quad stretch
    calf stretch
    runners stretch

also the right shoe is a VERY important investment when running!

I wore out my last pair in 4 months (my legs started to hurt more before I replaced them with my new ones). I run about 15+ miles per week. no shin splints yet!

18304147.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when I run with the flat part of my foot hitting the ground (instead of my heal), I don't get shin splints. I also like running with minimalist shoes that help with this, but I would definitely recommend going to a professional running shoe store. They are very helpful and can answer your questions.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    warm up and cool down! So important to stop/hinder shin splints!

warm up:

lay on your back one leg straight out with foot flexed while the other leg is up & bent at the knee. keep the leg still as you do...

foot circles: alternate 30 each way
    foot point & flex: 30

lunges are also a good way to warm up the leg muscles before a run. but foot circles are really a must.

when cooling down:
    1min. each stretch.

hamstrings stretch
    quad stretch
    calf stretch
    runners stretch

also the right shoe is a VERY important investment when running!

I wore out my last pair in 4 months (my legs started to hurt more before I replaced them with my new ones). I run about 15+ miles per week. no shin splints yet!

I have the same issue as the OP, so I want to thank you for this!
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Getting the proper shoes fixed mine yup. And if they hurt ice will help.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Run in properly fitted running shoes, stretch your legs really good before and after the runs, use ice on the legs after the runs, and be really careful about your running posture, especially your stride lenght and heels strike. You should strive to land midfoot, not on your heels, and a good way to do that is to reduce stride length while you adapt. For stretching ideas, you can check the runnersworld website, they have nice video tutorials of plenty of exercise that can help.

But the first few weeks of C25K are ideal to work on your posture. Also, be careful about walking posture... Might sound weird, but since you focus a lot on the run parts, chances are you are not being as careful during the walks and the cool down walk (I know it was a problem for me. I was tired and walked a lot more sloppy on the cooldown walk). So pay attention to these parts too.

Good luck!
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi,
    Not sure if I can help you as I am only up to week2 and run outside...

However, the first run I did I got really sore and so I spent ~10minutes looking at videos of proper running technique and this has helped immensely and also made me go a bit faster.

So I would definitely recommend doing that, however on treadmill it may be a bit different.

I think main points are...
    1) Always look forward and don't look down at your feet (I was doing that).
    2) Try keep a reasonably straight body from feet to head and stand tall.
    3) keep elbows in to your side and move them back and forward as u run a reasonable amount.
    4) try to keep your feet pointing forwards as you run.
    5) lean forward from your shins (this is the one I found most interesting, when I consciously do this, even when I am walking I can feel myself going faster - it makes gravity help you more)

Also people are going to say make sure you have proper running shoes, which I dont yet have, but probably should get

all great points. a good form is def the first step to avoiding injuries and also it help you conserve your energy.

to help you with your current injury shin splints can becaused by over use. most runners who get shin splints are runnig 20+miles oer day everyday. i have a few friends that this has hapened too. i htink mainly the muscles in your shins are weak, yes, you do have a muscle that runs along the outside of your shin bone. an easy trick is to do a reverse calf raise. if your gym has a seated calf raise machine, place your heals towards the front and bring your toes towards your body. ths will not only strength but stretch out your shins. a good stretch that i do is when i stretch out my quads ( i use the railing out side my house) and place the top pf my foot towards my toes on the railing. this stretches out my quads and shins. aslo ICE your shins. 20 on and ten off repeat this 2-3 times. there may be some other stretches you can do. try googling shin stretches.

a good rule of thumb is if your shins start to hurt at the begining of your run and the stop as you get into it than continue with your run. if shins at the begining of your run and get worse STOP you dont want to get any stress fratures.

if you can DO NOT i repeat DO NOT run n the treadmill unless it is your absolute last resort. the tread has been known to tear people up causing a lto of nagging injuries. if you have a soft track (rubberized track) by your home i would run on that and than graduate to the street.

finally, if you have a running store by your home go there and have them watch your stride, gait, and landing so they can give you the rite shoe for your build and frame. if you want go to brooksrunning.com and they have a step by step shoe findr. you enter you body type, gender, type of running, surface, arch tyoe, and if you pronate (you land with your toes pointed in or out) or you are neutral. this will give ou an idea of the type of shoe you need. a good pair of running shoes will rang around $100 but if you are seriuos about running it is a great investment.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes is a good start but the following helped me:

Start your runs on GRASS - I ran the first 4 weeks of C25K entirely on grass until the muscles in my legs adapted to my running.

Warm up before the run - 5 minutes of walking slowly building up speed (do not static stretch before your run)

Stretch after runs . Toe raises and calf stretches in particular

Ice after running - I keep a reusable icepack in the freezer and give my shins 20 minutes of cool off time if I even think they might be starting to ache.

On days you don't run work the shins, calves and QUADS - strengthening these muscles will help you more than you can imagine.

Good luck with it - I started C25K 3 times before someone advised me of the above. I recently completed the program and my first official 5k run - with a 25:41 time
  • getyupcowgirl
    Options
    This is really great information...thanks : )