French onion soup

Options
bekkaL85
bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
I love it. I can't get enough of it. The problem is that I have yet to find a "healthier" version of it. I know that Hungry Girl has a recipe for it. I've tried that one and while it's good...not really what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Replies

• FitBarbie2986
    FitBarbie2986 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OMG yumMMm! I love that stuff too..don't have any suggestions,just wanted to let you know,im obsessed as well ;) haha
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I may have a recipe, I'll look it up and post it tomorrow. Did you try the skinnytaste website?
  • misterYummy
    misterYummy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    SkinnyTaste.com DOES have a great one that is only 318 calories that may seem like a lot until you see what all goes in to it for that! a once in a while deserved treat for a "Fitsy"-head. maybe after keeping under goal for a week utilize it a a reward!
  • LMBalfour
    LMBalfour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    French Onion Soup

2 Onions, peeled
    1 Tbsp butter / margarine
    1/2 Tsp pepper
    4 Cups beef stock
    1 Tbsp balsamic / red wine vinegar
    1 Clove garlic
    1/2 Tsp marjoram
    1/2 Tsp Salt
    2 Tsp Sugar

Cut onions, finely chop garlic.
    Melt butter over medium heat until starting to bubble. Add onions, garlic, sugar, marjoram, pepper and salt. Stir until coated. Cover pot with lid, reduce to med/low heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until onions limp. Add stock and vinegar. Boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.

After this is finished you can add as much cheese / croutons as you wish. I always make a double batch as this goes quickly in my house.

Nutritional Information (per 1 cup serving):

Calories: 54
    Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 1074.8 mg
    Carbs: 8.3g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 6g
    Protein 0.5g
  • camplaffalot
    Options
    ooooo.......I'm gonna try this recipe! Sounds just right for me.
  • chiselle
    Options
    Bump - I'm going to try this.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Probably one of my top 3 favorite soups. I will never find a healthy enough recipe for me.. My favorite part is peeling all of the melted, crispy cheese off of the side of the crock. Mmm..

I can't imagine skimping out on the real deal.. I'll just save it for special occasions and enjoy it. :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Part 1
    you need a good recipe for beef stock. broth from a cube or bottle just doesn't work.

part 3
    You need a variety of onions. I use half white, 1/4 vidalia and 1/4 yellow.
    (when I make stock, I MAKE stock) You can maybe freeze some if there is any left over.

suggestion;
    french onion dip sandwiches.

place lean piece of beef in crock. add 1/4 cup strong coffee and about 14 oz of the soup..
    cook til done.
    shred
    serve on a bun with provolone cheese. *serve with soup on the side for dipping

My FAVE meal!
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BUMP thak you!! :flowerforyou:
  • RocketsGirl
    RocketsGirl Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    don't know if she has one but try skinnytaste.com

tons of recipes and if she doesn't have one then you can send her a message and request her to make it over.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    One of my fave soups.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Love me some French Onion SOup...must bump for ideas!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    French onion soup isn't particularly high calorie. Is it the sodium that worries you? Sodium isn't the worst thing in the world. I'd much rather just indulge in the real stuff. I've had many "healthier" versions in my lifetime that just taste wrong.

Panera bread has really good french onion. mmmm... wish I were in America
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it how it's supposed to taste and be made or else I find that I will eat a bunch of other crap trying to get that taste or craving. Just have the soup as you like and want, but then drink enough water you can float- adding realemon juice to your water to compensate for the sodium intake. I did this on our 'date night' earlier this week, was bloated due to the sodium the nxt day, but drank tons of lemon water and fixed the sodium problem. Everything in moderation. If you keep yourself from the things you love- how will it work life long? ..just my 2 bits..
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lambjoo
    lambjoo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump