Clothes?

Options

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 12 and wearing my old size 14 stuff- with a very sturdy belt. All of my clothes look "weird" now. I did splurge recently and get myself a few new dresses, but I saw at H&M there were dresses on sale for 10 francs (I live in Switzerland, if it's 10 francs here, that means it's 5 or 7 dollars in North America). Check out the sale items there, and you may be surprised. Items at thrift stores can run around that much as well.

I hope you find a solution and really enjoy your trip!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores, and work in one (: I can buy an entire outfit for $12. Currently, I'm "lucky" because I've been so many different weights over the years, that my wardrobe is made up of about 6 different sizes anyway haha.
    Best to buy some clothes that fit before you go away on holiday, you don't want to spend the whole trip trying to keep your pants from sliding down! (:
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    How about arranging a clothes swap with a load of friends? Make sure all shapes and sizes are represented and bring a load of stuff to swap round. Most people, including you, should end up with something new that fits you.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I mostly go to the local thrift store when I need new clothes. I'm saving up the extra cash for a shopping spree when I'm done!

THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went to a Goodwill for the firt time in my life last week ... I got 4 pairs of new pants for under $20. I never would have thought to do this before someone on MFP suggested it. Great idea -- the pants are new and are a perfect solution. I'll return these, plus all my old, too big clothes when I need to go down another size.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I would go to a discount store and get maybe a white pair of shorts and a denim. I have a lot of summer clothes, but seem to wear either white, beige, or jean shorts with everything. Even though I have more to choose from, I have 3 favorites that I wear. So you don't really need quantity to get you by. Just wash more. :) Have a great vacation!!! :)

Also, congratulations on your weight loss! :)
  • rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    I bought a few new things and use a big safety pin on my the rest of my pants - LOL. :blushing:
  • wantstolooseweight
    wantstolooseweight Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    New bras, new shoes, new pants, new socks..(Cant skimp on them)... apart from that I'm getting by on the things I have, ditching the bigger sizes as I dont need them and if i see something on sale/charity shop then I'll pick it up. When I get to the size I want to be I'm splurging on a WHOLE new wardrobe!!!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I love Goodwill for inbetween clothes. I'm heading there today, actually. It takes a little big of time to comb through things but I find really cute pieces, new with tags all of the time.
  • Fannyannefeisty
    Options
    Dresses are brilliant, they will fit you for longer with no threat of them falling down. If you get some that look good with a belt, even when they are too big for you a belt will show off your slimmer waist and you won't feel quite so uncomfortable in them.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When in-between sizes or temporarily larger, I check out the local Goodwill store.
  • Ms_Freda
    Ms_Freda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can find many good quality clothes at thrift stores (and yard sales this time of year) where people like you lost or gained weight and changed out clothes. While in the transition stage of weight loss you (and me :smile:) will be better off just getting enough to get by with for now. Also, the end of summer clearances with big discounts would be another way to streach the $$.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If u have facebook. Post that u need clothes and what size..u will be blown away by the response
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the thrift stores. I just went to Goodwill yesterday and dropped $30 on 5 pairs of pants and 3 shirts for work. No sense paying full price for a size you're only visiting.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Amazon recommended this to me. It's gotten good reviews.

Three Black Skirts : All You Need To Survive

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Black-Skirts-Need-Survive/dp/0761119396
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I have to wait for my birthday in October and Xmas for new clothes due to all monies being sucked up by credit cards and student loans. It means I have to shop with my MIL. :grumble:
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    thrift stores are great! it can be harder to find nice professional clothes for work though, so a balance between that and clearance stuff and outlet stores, as other people mentioned. i totally understand the whole "i need new clothes again...seriously?" LOL

on the other hand, splurge occasionally. i recently bought an adorable department store dress, brand new, at full price, because i LOVED it and i felt so good wearing it - even though i'm nowhere near my goal yet and it was stretching the budget a little. rewards like that make this process so much nicer!
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds before I purchased a new item...lol I know I am very cheap.... If you feel the need then I would suggest thrift stores or yard sales but as long as what you are doing is working then you could just hang on for another month or two and save for those winter purchases.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I buy in charity shops (is that what you know as a goodwill store?) and car boot sales - I don't know if you have those where you are. Anyone can pitch up (often on a Sunday morning), pay a small sum to the organisers & sell anything legal. It's a good way of passing on stuff you've shrunk out of & picking up things to replace them. I'm buying clothes to wear now and keeping an eye open for stuff I like a size or two down - my "aspirational pile". I also take some clothes in - it's not too hard to take a few inches out of a waistband if the clothes are fairly simply cut.
  • k9caver
    k9caver Posts: 4
    Options
    There was a GREAT tip on "Pinterest" on helping with jeans that sag & gap in the back -- (I personally hate wearing belts) -- ELASTIC !!

A nice wide piece of elastic stiched onto the inside of the back of the waistband of the jeans (piece it, if you need to gap it between belt loops) and it will snug the jeans really nice from side seam to side seam all across the back (if you need that much taken in)

Another idea might be to form a co-op among some folks either here on MFP or maybe on facebook with others who are working to eliminate exess lbs (I am trying not to say lose weight, because frequently, when I lose things, I find them again -- THIS time I'm ELIMINATING and getting rid of them for good!)

There maybe someone behind you that could really use the size you are in, and another person ahead of you who just left the size that you need now -- where y'all could - just for the cost of shipping - trade some "now" season clothes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!