Muscle weighs more than fat

Options
2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What if the dumbbell was SHAPED like a ream of paper?

Paper shaped dumbbells make me too bulky
  • Rhondavous64
    Options
    Very nicely put! I couldn't have said it better myself. I was a circuit coach at Curves for women and when it came time for their weigh and measure even though they lost several inches they were still obsessed with the number on the scale that wouldn't go down. You can't tell how much a person weigh by the way they look. Your clothes fit better right? Then something is happening!
    I agree people do get needlessly worked up when someone says muscle weighs more than fat. However, its a completely incorrect statement. Weight is just a unit of measurement. So, if you have a pound of fat and a pound of muscle and you place both on a scale they will weigh the same (one pound). A more accurate statement would be that muscle is more dense that fat. Density is a measurement of mass over volume. Muscle is more dense and will therefore take up less space. So, you can have two people that weigh the same but if one has a lot more muscle mass than the other, they will look drastically different. The muscular person will be leaner and appear more hard than the person with more fat.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Muscle is just leaner than fat. That's all. It's just how people choose to view it. It's really a "glass half full/empty" scenario I think. :P
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The three issues that get people here worked up are the muscle vs. fat weight, the starvation mode and the difference between "loose" and "lose." Now I admit that, as an English teacher, seeing people write about how much fat they are "loosing" by eating more to weigh less, sends me over the edge. But I resist the temptation to comment.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think people just need to be given an example. I recently discovered that since I am strength training this time around, my measurements are VERY similar to what they were 8 years ago. Back then I was 174 pounds and in a snug size 14, currently I am 205 and in a snug size 14! By the time I get down to that 174lbs, I might be in a size 10!!