Running

Options
So running is a typical cardio exercise that people do to loose some weight. I'm a swimmer and I cannot run....at all.....anyone have tips on how to start running?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k - www.c25k.com - is a great way to start. It's a plan that gradually builds you from running one minute intervals to 30 minutes straight over 9 weeks.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Why run? If your a swimmer, swim. Me I am a cyclist. I hate running, but love to put 23miles a day on my bike. If you do what you enjoy then it doesn't seem like your working out, it is just pure bliss!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above post.

Tomorrow I start Week 3 of my C25K program. If you have a smart phone its the easiest thing in the world. Download an app, there are several, mine is from Active.com. I go out at 6:00am on Monday Wednesday Friday and the app prompts me when to walk and when to jog. I've done two weeks so far and tomorrow start week 3.

This past week I followed a TON of advice from others who started this and I went and got a decent pair of running shoes. At a professional running store. They asked me what I had been doing, what I plan to do. The looked at my current shoes for telltale wear patterns. Had me walk in my shoes and also in just socks so they could evaluate my stride. Measured my foot size (12) and then brought out 4 different brands of shoe. Put one brand on the left and another on the right and then asked "which feels more natural". Swapped out shoes until I got the ones that felt the best. Then took a video closeup of my lower legs as I walked on a treadmill wearing my new shoes to make sure they were doing the job.

All for only $106 with my new shoes out the door.

Made a big difference in comfort level and ease of walking/jogging.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a group of friends that all started running at the same time...but none of us did it together.

A few of us did a Couch to 5k type program (I used the get running app on my ipod).

Others used the "Just Do It" philosophy. Which involved going to a 2.5 mile trail and running as long as you can then walking the rest. Hoping it gets better each time you go out.

Some created their own run/walk interval programs.

Others did combinations of all the above.

All of us had some levels of success. We're all running 5k's together with times ranging from 27-36 minutes. Just listen to your body. Go out every other day at most, especially in the beginning. I'm a cyclist and it was really hard to run at the start. Hell, it's very hard sometimes still. But it's made me a stronger cyclist and it's a more social activity so I keep doing it! Good luck to you!
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great. Whether you're an old runner who is just out of shape or have never ran a day in your life - you will love the program.

Just a tip - if you are seriously going to start running, then I can't stress enough the importance of a good pair of running shoes. Go to a running speciality store where they can analyze the plane of your foot, your gait, ect and invest in some shoes and insoles. It will make a night and day difference, and save you a lot of unwanted shin/knee/back pain.

Good luck! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do you want to run? If so, that's great, and follow Lorina Lynn's advice. if not, don't feel you have to. It's not a magic weightloss exercise, and swimming is great for weightloss. Doing exercise you love is half the battle won, and far easier to sustain.

That said, I love running, and if you do want to have a go, best of luck to you! :-)
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k - www.c25k.com - is a great way to start. It's a plan that gradually builds you from running one minute intervals to 30 minutes straight over 9 weeks.
    this!
  • sdow
    sdow Posts: 71
    Options
    Swimming has got to be a great exercise. Do what you like and what you will stick to.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great way to break into running. Your swimming will knock off weight as well. I bike, run and swim, and today just finished the Couch to 5K program. I am training for a triathlon, thus all the cardio these days. As remarked above, good, as in $100+ running shoes are a must, and should be changed out every 6 months or so.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have a couch to 5K app on my phone. I have never been a runner but want to try it out. The app is great. It eases you into running. I am getting ready to start week 5 (however I did repeat week four). Check it out. I know a few other people that have used this program and have enjoyed it and have seen great results. I am starting to see a difference in myself as well.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    ok I was the same as you 2 months ago I swim fairly well and was afraid of running,I mean terified. so I began walking for 5 mins running for 20 secs on the treadmill,I built up literally adding seconds as I got stronger i am now at 15 minutes I still prefer swimming,but I run every morning now and I am enjoying it,secret start really slow.
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    All for only $106 with my new shoes out the door.

That is so much less than I was expecting. All I had ever heard was, "it costs more". Thank you... I will have to look into this.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to do more than you are already. Mixing it up makes you stronger. I agree with c25k! It works and people have found that running is awesome using this and programs like it.. If you can swim like a champ, you can definitely run like one.

Good Luck!