Leslie Sansone Walk videos and questions about heart rate

Options
2»

Replies

• ciddi
    ciddi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sounds like exactly what I used to burn with her videos. I had a Polar F6, and I usually got my heart rate up to the 180s for several parts of the workout.

Good to hear that some one experiences the same
  • ciddi
    Options

The hand weights and the arm moves are what really shoot your heart rate sky high and have you pouring buckets of sweat.

I completely agree with this. Try doing the same workout without the hand weights, or with lighter ones, and I think you'll see that's where the difference is.

I have several videos that I use handweights for, and if my heart rate is getting either too high or too low, I adjust the weights I'm carrying and my heart rate responds almost instantly.

I am happy that my heart rate is staying high. I like to use weights when working out because my upper body is my main problem area. I go lighter with the weights when I feel very tired
  • ciddi
    Options
    Thanks all for responding to my post.
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I did the 58 min 4 mile super challenge this morning wearing my Polar FT4 and burnt 541 calories. I am 212lb and 5ft 6. My HR was on average 80% and my maximum was 92%. It doesn't always go that high. My hubby did it with me this morning and found the DVD much harder than normal walking where his HR barely goes above 50%.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My HRM went wacky whenever I got within a certain range of my TV. Polar confirmed that TV and other electronic devices can affect the HRM (they recommended facing the other way...yes, that meant my back would be to the TV!).

I was going to mention this. Can you try your DVD again, but standing well away from your TV?

I don't think those burns look ridiculously high, I know Leslie walks are pretty fast, but you should be able to tell if your HR is that high from perceived exertion. If it's that high, you're at a 8, 9 or 10 on the 1-10 scale. They often estimate max heart rate as 220 minus your age so that would mean you're very near your max on that scale. That's hard to do, for a whole DVD. But then again, that max estimate never held for me. My HR goes higher than they say it should.
  • ciddi
    Options
    My HRM went wacky whenever I got within a certain range of my TV. Polar confirmed that TV and other electronic devices can affect the HRM (they recommended facing the other way...yes, that meant my back would be to the TV!).

I was going to mention this. Can you try your DVD again, but standing well away from your TV?

I don't think those burns look ridiculously high, I know Leslie walks are pretty fast, but you should be able to tell if your HR is that high from perceived exertion. If it's that high, you're at a 8, 9 or 10 on the 1-10 scale. They often estimate max heart rate as 220 minus your age so that would mean you're very near your max on that scale. That's hard to do, for a whole DVD. But then again, that max estimate never held for me. My HR goes higher than they say it should.

This sounds very possible. I will try this today.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question because I am questioning the same thing....I have a heart monitor that I wear during her videos....I do the 5 mile walks and it states that I am burning about 900 calories during a session....and my heart rate is consistently in the 70 - 80%......