Digital vs Analog Scale

Options
what scale do you use digital or analog??? i have been using digital but its been acting crazy i weigh myself until i get the same # twice in a row then i use that number because the scale keeps giving me different numbers. For those who use analog which would u recommend?

Replies

• Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I hate digital scales, I can get around 5 different weights when using them. I think analog would definitely be a safer bet than digital. Or you could ditch them all together and try one in a pharmacy, I've found those to be pretty consistent (to check how reliable they were I weighed 5 times in one visit)
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You just need to get an accurate digital scale. I can step on mine 5 times in a row and get the same number.

Analog scales can be just as inaccurate as some digital scales. I've had both and prefer digital.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Digital. Its great. It also analyses your body fat percentage and visceral fat levels.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I weigh myself first thing in the morning with a digital scale and I alway round down/up from the 1/2 mark. If I went by the fractions of pounds I would become a neurotic mess, lol.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've got an analog scale, and my parents had one when I was growing up. It's the type with the rotating dial on the top, not one with the adjustable weights. My experience is that they depend kind of a lot (almost 10 lbs) on where you put your feet and how you balance when you use them, tending to read higher if you lean towards the front of the scale. It seems pretty consistent if I keep the location/balance the same. But I have a cheap scale, so maybe there are ones that are better about this?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if your scale is being wonky, try changing batteries.

i have a new digital one and i like it.
  • tammyj83
    tammyj83 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My observation has been that a digital scale MUST rest on a very solid, level surface in order to provide consistent readings.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think digital scale are more accurate. The problem with scales is that they have weight limits. Some start showing incorrect the closer you get to 200 others at 250 it just depends. All are incorrect at 300+unless you special order them. It usually states it on the box. Sometimes it's just the silly scale. :smile:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale. Nothing fancy, just a health-o-meter from wallyworld, but I can step on it as many times in a row as I want to and it will give the exact same reading every time (down to the tenth of a pound).
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale. Nothing fancy, just a health-o-meter from wallyworld, but I can step on it as many times in a row as I want to and it will give the exact same reading every time (down to the tenth of a pound).

This is what I have. I think it was $25 at walmart.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have two scales, both are digital, but one is glass. The glass one always gives me the same weight and will register a 5lb plate weight exactly. The other one is a spring type scale similar to the analog ones (but still digital) and that one is very dependent on how you stand on it. When it is working right, it is 0.4 lbs lighter than my glass scale, but it frequently gives me different numbers if I step on it more than once.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    digital... for the analog scales (not the ones with weights, those are usually good) every time i stepped on mine it'd be a slightly different weight.

since going digital i can step on it 5 times in a row and it's always the same

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE/
  • cellarbug
    cellarbug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The small digital scale I use to weigh food is affected by the microwave oven. I guess they all can be compromised by electrical interference.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You just need to get an accurate digital scale. I can step on mine 5 times in a row and get the same number.

Sadly, this is by design. The designers have made it such that if you weigh within a certain amount compared with the previous reading, it shows no change.

I much prefer a digital scale simply because I'm a numbers guy and I can detect a plateau within 3 days with a digital, and it'd take 10 days at least with an analogue one.
  • fordies
    fordies Posts: 14
    Options
    I use a digital scales in the house for most of my weigh ins but in the gym I go to they have a mechanical column scales which I will use once a month just to check the accuracy and to make sure my gym profile is updated.