zucchini

Options
2»

Replies

• stonerandall
    stonerandall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I general quarter them the long ways. Put a little olive oil on the spears. Add salt, pepper, dry italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder and then just grill them.

Or, slice a few of them thin and sautee in a tab of butter cut it with a little olive oil (raises the burning point of the butter). salt, pepper, italian seasoning and add a small splash of balsomic vinegar at the end to waken up the flavor a bit. You can also sautee a sliced onion about 1/2 way done before adding the zukes. You can also add some cherry tomatos, and some fresh basil if you prefer.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Zucchini tots - so delicious: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/628245-15-calorie-zucchini-tots-pics
    I use tofu instead of eggs :p

I like steamed zucchini. With spices. YUM!!!! The zucchini gets so soft mmmmm
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    LOVE these ideas..Thank you! I have a lot growing my garden, always nice to have some fresh ideas!
  • JCo702
    JCo702 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ZUCCHINI QUICHE

3 cups zucchini shredded (that’s one large zucchini, about 9” x 3”)
    1 onion, chopped
    1 cup Bisquick
    4 eggs
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    ½ cup grated cheese
    parsley
    salt
    ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Comvine all ingredients
    Place in greased 9” x 9” pan
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (check center with a knife tomake sure it is firm and
    not wet)
    Serve hot

If you have a food processor, you can make the whole recip in the processor:.
    Place onions in processor first and chop.
    Leave onions in processor and switch to shredder blade and shred the zucchini.
    Add remaining ingredients and mix
    (If you have not bought cheddar cheese already shredded you will have to shred that after
    the zucchini before adding the other ingredients)
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    Gluten Free, Dairy Free Zucchini Pancakes

- 2 zucchini, shredded
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - Mix together and place into a paper towel lined colander for 45 minutes to allow extra moisture to drip out. Then squeeze as much moisture as you can and transfer to mixing bowl

Add:
    - 1 beaten egg
    - scant 1/4 cup gf corn meal
    - season lightly with salt, pepper, garlic, italian spices, crushed red peppers, parsley (or any combination that you like)
    - add 1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast if you want a cheesy flavor (or add some Parmesan if dairy is good for you)

To Cook:
    - Spray a non-stick skillet with Pam regular or Olive Oil on medium-high heat
    - Drop 2 Tablespoons of mixture onto hot skillet and fry until bottom is golden browned
    - Turn pancakes over and brown - About 8 minutes

Around 200 calories

I served this with a portobello mushroom that I cooked the following way:
    - In a small uncovered casserole, spray with Pam and pour in 1 small can of tomato sauce
    - Place cleaned portobello mushroom on top and season with salt, pepper and desired spices (Italian, garlic)
    - Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until tender and bubbly (If dairy is good for you, sprinkle with Parmesan before cooking)

The mushroom comes in at about 100 calories and is very yummy!

Enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    bump
  • carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Zucchini Tots

Calories: 108 • Fat: 4.3 g • Protein: 6.8 g • Carb: 11.5 g • Fiber: 1.8 g • Sugar: 2 g Sodium: 262 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:
    • 1 cup zucchini, grated
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/4 medium onion, diced
    • 1/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    • 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • cooking spray

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray
    Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel. Wring all of the excess water out of the
    zucchini. In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and
    pepper to taste

Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it's
    nice and compacted so they don't fall apart when you take them out of the tin

Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden
    Use a plastic knife or rubber spatula around the edges of each tot to remove them
    from the muffin tin. Enjoy!!
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    Just tried this tonight. Very good!

Zucchini Lasagne

2 1/2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( about 2 medium)
    1/2 lb lean ground beef ( I use 1 lb.)
    1/4 cup onions, chopped
    2 small tomatoes, cut up
    1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    1 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/4 cup water
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 eggs
    3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese ( or low fat or fat free ricotta)
    1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded ( I use 8 oz. divided)
    1 teaspoon flour

Cook zucchini until tender, drain and set aside. Fry meat and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; drain fat. Add next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.

In small bowl slightly beat egg.
    Add cottage cheese, half of shredded cheese and flour.

In (1 1/2-qt.) baking-roasting pan arrange half of the meat mixture. Top with half of the zucchini and all the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining meat and zucchini.

Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
    Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer.
    Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
  • carolgammons
    Options
    I love to cook zucchini like this: Slice thinly, add thinly sliced onions, peppers, and garlic. Saute in fat free butter add some Mrs. Dash Lemon seasoning and yummy !!! I also sometimes add pepperoni's (turkey) with some fat free cheese. :tongue:
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite ways of doing courgette (zucchini) is to cut in to chunks, sautee in a little olive oil until cooked then top with some wensleydale/cheshire cheese - very yummy!