Daily Goals

Just wanted to get some input on daily goals for carbs, fats, and protein. Does it really matter if you go over your daily goals for carbs, fats, and protein as long as you don't go over your daily calorie goals? For example I have no protein points left but still have 600 calories I can eat and I am sure there is going to be some protein in them. HELP!!!!!

Replies

• xoveronica
    xoveronica Posts: 56 Member
    i was wondering the same thing!!

& if we exercise are we suppose to meet our daily calorie goal we set for ourselves and/or eat the calories we burned while exercising
  • simonsayzz
    simonsayzz Posts: 25 Member
    Depends on who you ask! Some people claim calories are all the same, and technically it should be that way....but for me, it is NOT. I can't eat more than 30 carbs per meal or my loss is barely worth it. I am ALWAYS over on fat/protein and way under on carbs. I've lost 70 pounds in 8 months so it must be working. Every body is different, you may need to figure out what ratio is best for you.
  • jjj143
    jjj143 Posts: 5
    I agree with simonsayzz. I think we should be carb concious. The less carbs the better .............. that's my opinion. I am going to watch out for them.
  • liljeanne
    liljeanne Posts: 9 Member
    Simon Congrat's on the weight loss. I must be a lot like you in regards to carb intake, less is more effective for me. Perhaps because I'm only 5 ft. tall ( no where to hide it ) but higher protein, fewer carbs seems to be where my metabolism responds. Of course in addition too my water and exercise ( primarily walking ) It has taking me a while to make myself believe that there is such a thing as a GOOD carb though. As a treat yesterday I made myself some sweet potato chips and though it's carbs and sugar, sweet potatoes are worth the numbers lol They were yummy !!! Congrat's again !! :flowerforyou:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    I have to agree with the general consensus. Lower carbs and higher protein works well for me. I do not believe in "a calorie is a calorie". I don't believe in elimination, but definitely substitution and self-control whenever feasible.

I must add that I've lost 45 pounds in 4 1/2 months, AND I have hypothyroid and PCOS.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    When I first started, I kept within the MFP goals and it paid off. So try to learn about your nutrition, it will help certainly when you go shopping ;-)

So to answer your question, eat your cals :-)

You can adjust stuff as you go along, just keep moving and eating the cals you have set :-)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    if the red numbers in the protein column are bothering you just change your macro ratios in 'home', 'goals', 'change goals', 'custom'. i have mine at 40/30/30 :)
  • jdswaker
    jdswaker Posts: 36 Member
    At the beginning, it is much more important to meet the calorie goals. It is okay to eat the calories you burn in exercise then too. Just be sure you drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses), take a multi vitamin and stay under your net calories for the day. At the beginning that is enough to do.

Now if you have foods that send you bingeing, and you know that, you have to eliminate that until you gain some control. So if one cookie is never enough, you can't have a cookie. And if you always have your pop (or soda for those of you who think I was talking about a lollipop) with hamburger and french fries, you are done with pop. You should be anyway as that is the gateway drug...but I digress.

When you plateau or are trying to target belly fat, you will definitely need to watch those carbs. But at the beginning just be sure you do not blow by the net calorie goal.

Good luck.