Options
2»

Replies

• jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    All luggage must be stowed!

:laugh: Very true!

This is true at the gym in general. Running shorts are great for upright running, but please do not wear them to class.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    There is always 1 or 2 guys in the yoga class at my gym.

There is a yoga studio by my house though that offers "Bro-ga" (men's yoga class) which I thought was pretty clever
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    the classes I go to have a good number of fellas in it. Nobody thinks anything of it. My yoga class isn't full of lycra clad beauties anyway but even if it was there shouldn't be any worry about a man being there.

Just go and do your thing, the same way as everyone else there is!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Yeah the guy at our class knows the routine better than the instructor and takes over. We are non judgemental they will love having ou I'm sure. Good luck
  • munny_p
    munny_p Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are guys in my classes...have never given a second look- at least in a judgmental way! ;) Yoga is very low-pressure...don't worry about it. If I were you, I would wear comfortable shorts and a tanktop (or shirtless if you are comfortable.)
  • itsDorian7
    itsDorian7 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I encourage the guys in the gym to give yoga a try. I've "recruited" quite a few, and most have stuck with it.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    oxymoron
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Yeah there is always a guy or two in my classes...once I was in a class that was more men than women. That was a little interesting, not wierd, not uncomfortable, just demographically interesting.

As long as you come prepared (luggage stowed as someone said...it's VERY important) and concentrate on the teacher and your positions, everyone will know you came for the class and not the view.

It's really a matter of bringing it...which we should always do anyways.

Lauren
  • NGMama
    NGMama Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Always guys in my hot yoga class too. Most of them are actually quite ripped and seem to enjoy it. The only time it ever bothered me was when two guys came together, struggled with the poses and used the time instead to talk about which poses they would like to use sexually, and with which person in the class.

As long as you veer away from that and flashing anyone, you'll love it.

Namaste! :wink:
  • wannaplay2505
    Options
    In my yoga classes there are always a couple of guys. I even took a class taught by a guy. It's not a big deal. Personally, I really don't care if they were checking me out either. I'm there getting my monies worth and working on me and tuning everyone else out. People shouldn't take group classes if they're really so concerned about what others are thinking of them... That being said, good luck dude. You'll enjoy it. Yoga is the only workout where I leave feeling relaxed.:smile:
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone is pretty much in agreement :)

Good for you for starting yoga, I hope you like it :) I have been doing it for a few years now and I love it! If you keep up with it there are many benefits, some that you don't even expect. There are always a few guys in the classes I go to and one of my favorite instructors is a guy. I have never felt creeped out, if anything I always thing "Good for them!". So go ahead, change up those gender stereotypes! :p
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I go to a yoga studio. One of our teachers is a man. I agree, the most important thing is appropriate clothing. If you wear baggy shorts wear some tight ones underneath. I think that is the only thing that would really bother me is to be looking at some guys junk while I'm trying to focus on a pose.

We have a lot of men in our classes. Most classes I go to have at least one guy.

Don't behave like a jerk and no one will have any problems with you. No one will judge you if you don't know how to do a pose. A good teacher will walk around and adjust you a bit or tell you to move your foot or whatever. Don't be embarrassed by this because they do it to everyone at some point.

If you have access to a Wii fit, the yoga stuff in there is pretty helpful for getting the hang of some poses so you can feel more confident in class.

At the studio I go to, restore classes are great beginners classes. The poses are supported, the changes slow, and it gives you a good stretch.

I really encourage you to go and have fun.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    oxymoron

Aw, so not. :frown: Probably half my classes have had male instructors.

There are LOTS of amazing male-led yoga DVDs, too. And most of them are not a bit creepy like Rodney Yee, either. :laugh:
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Wow, seems like almost everyone is in agreement, minus one. I'll make sure I'm all packed in and give it a go.

Thanks everyone!
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm the only guy in my yoga class. It felt uncomfortable the first session however the ladies welcomed me and said that a man brings different energy to yoga practice (I'm not sure what that means, but I think it's good).
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    haha this reminds me of this: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/2597736393.html

if you've never seen this, it is hilarious.
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have seen that Craigslist post! Too funny!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    schpanks wrote: »
    As long as you aren't staring the ladies down, no one will pay any attention to you. Let me recommend that if you are wearing baggy shorts, please also wear underwear. Yoga is not always modest, and you don't want anyone looking up the leg of your shorts at your junk. :)

This! I've seen guys caught out by having baggy/non-stretchy shorts. Don't be that guy! There are guys in most of my yoga classes. Provided you're not ogling me while I'm contorted into different positions then we're cool. Maybe start with a restorative class? They're less challenging from a flexibility point of view and I've noticed they're very popular with guys.