Suggestions for a previously broken foot?

This last March I stepped off a curb wrong and fractured my fifth metatarsal. I didn't have insurance so I couldn't follow up with a podiatrist. It healed for the most part but once I started working out it now becomes sore and cramps up. I like to workout barefoot versus sneakers, and I really don't want to start wearing the shoes just for that. Can anyone recommend a wrap or something for workouts? It's not excruciating pain but it definitely cramps up quite a bit during workouts.

Replies

• nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Without a xray nobody should be advising you on an "unfollowed up on" fracture. Can you go to the doc now?
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Without a xray nobody should be advising you on an "unfollowed up on" fracture. Can you go to the doc now?

Yes I can. I mentioned to my new doc that I had fractured it back then and it tended to get sore sometimes, but because I wasn't working out then I didn't say it was starting to bother me. Is it possible it healed wrong?
  • nursenessa1
    Probably not. If you were seen in and ER, and they sent you home, the bone was probably close enought together to heal back together. However the fact that you didn't get your follow up xray and exam who knows!

Broken foot can hurt up to 6 months after initial injury while it is healing and even ache during activity and weather changes for the rest of your life. Dieting during the healing stage is not so beuno as well. You need nutrients for healing. I would go to doc for new xray and examintation and go from there.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Probably not. If you were seen in and ER, and they sent you home, the bone was probably close enought together to heal back together. However the fact that you didn't get your follow up xray and exam who knows!

Broken foot can hurt up to 6 months after initial injury while it is healing and even ache during activity and weather changes for the rest of your life. Dieting during the healing stage is not so beuno as well. You need nutrients for healing. I would go to doc for new xray and examintation and go from there.

Thanks so much dear!
  • nursenessa1
    :flowerforyou:
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    I had a stress fracture quite a few years ago - if I wear the wrong shoes or walking around barefoot (or exercise barefoot) it aggrivates it. I find wearing sneakers really helps. There are some various wraps and things available online and in stores, but I couldn't tell you which is best for that case. HTH :)
  • chrissyinuk
    chrissyinuk Posts: 2 Member
    I badly sprained my ankle/foot playing netball last year, and my suggestion (read SUGGESTION, not medical advice) is to keep stretching it and to try to work towards having the same range of motion in both feet. I still have less motion in my left (the one that was sprained) than the right, and notice it gets more sore after exercise, so it's really important to stretch. I have also seen a chiropractor (bone doctor) and he gave me some good advice on what to do. If you see one though, make sure they are good with feet and not just backs :)