Grocery Shopping

Options
124»

Replies

• KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    Hubby and I are both in this together. We shop once a week. Going around the edges of the store, not usually into isles. I do buy from case lot sales so I have staples on hand. I also buy bulk chicken breast, boneless, skinlless (40lb) and 97% hamb (20lbs) I rebag the chicken 2 breasts to a bag, and cook the hamb with onion, rinse off the grease and bag 3/4 of a lb. I might make a few hamb. patties and bag seperately. We get fresh salmon every week (good for fibro). WIth what I have and shopping the way I do, we have cut out shopping costs in 1/2 since we started this about 8 weeks ago. I hope this helps.
  • annieu613
    annieu613 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals. I buy groceries on Sunday for the week, but sometimes I stop by the farmers market for extra veggies in the middle of the week. My typical list:

tomatoes, red peppers, salad mix (arugala and spring mix recently), cucumber, other seasonal fruits/veggies, tofu, seitan, tempeh, cheese (usually blue or feta), greek yogurt, eggs, milk, dried fruit, almonds, whole grain pasta/sauce, granola.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    I keep the staples on hand and I will buy produce and meat as needed for my weekly meal plan.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Do you plan all your meals before or just buy a whole bunch of staple ingredients and throw things together as you go with some kind of general idea of what you want to make eventually?

Follow up: How often do you do groceries?

# 2 -- Usually buy the basics. Fruits/Vegetables, chicken, steak and beef. Cheeses and dairy. If I want something special, I live three minutes from the super market so I just go back out!
  • mauramalade
    mauramalade Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work full time and I'm in school, so I make one big meal to bring for lunch every day, and usually make some kind of sandwich for dinner when I have class. I'm a big fan of quinoa and generally have some sort of quinoa salad every week, so unless it's for a special occasion, I generally know exactly what I need when I go to the grocery store and don't even need to make a list, because it's pretty much the same as the week before.
  • opsniht
    opsniht Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually decide what I'm in the mood for as a I go along. Sometimes I have it planned, sometimes I just throw things in.