When the scale lies - w/pics (And an NSV!)

Options
supergirl6
supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
Between December and April my weight loss was going very well. I was losing an average of 2.3 lbs a week, going to the gym 5 days a week, strength training and cardio. I ran my first 5k in April (ran...sort of. Ran/Walked.) Things seemed to be going really well. I started at 330 and by April I was down to 297. I took pictures every sunday and measured myself every four weeks.

Then something weird happened. I stopped losing. Nothing had changed in my routine, I just...stopped. And I stayed stopped for weeks. I kept counting, kept eating well, cut out a ton of sodium. Still - nothing. I started to feel desperate and frustrated and then the worst possible thing happened in June. I injured my foot. I couldn't do cardio, I could barely hobble around. The morning after my injury the scale shot up to 312. I should have headed into the doctor, but I didn't. I took 4 weeks off from working out to let it heal. In that time, my weight bounced between 303-312 seemingly every couple of days. I got frustrated.

My weight evened out at 308 once I headed back to the gym and has come down to 306 in the last couple of weeks. I was happy it was going down, frustrated that I was eating right and working out and my body wasn't obeying the rules like it had. Since April when my weight loss stopped, I'd also stopped taking pictures. I didn't want to see visual proof of my failure.

This morning I finally got my husband to take pictures of me in the same pants and shirt I was wearing in the last pictures I took in April. I was stunned by the difference, especially in the lower stomach area. Clearly my body has been changing, even though the scale has told me I've actually gained weight. I've been frustrated to the point of tears, and yet...and yet my body is changing for the better. I can see the difference. I really want the scale to go down, but I can't tell you how relieved I am to have visual proof that what I'm doing isn't for nothing.

If I had to give advice to people losing weight it would be take pictures, every week, regardless of how we feel. The scale lies - or at least, it doesn't tell the full story. I get it now.

(And my NSV to go along with these pictures? I can now cross my legs. Both of them. Who knew this could be so rewarding?)

So between these pictures I've gained 9 lbs.

29e3lab.jpg

Replies

• jjennasmithh
    Options
    love this, I take pictures every month! :)
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    post this on my profile a few days ago exact same thing!! scales are not correct look at my photo on my profile and the one in my photos in the pink blouse an blue jeans shorts major change!
  • supergirl6
    Options
    Thank you!
  • GammyJoyce
    Options
    The proof is in the pictures...great job!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Between December and April my weight loss was going very well. I was losing an average of 2.3 lbs a week, going to the gym 5 days a week, strength training and cardio. I ran my first 5k in April (ran...sort of. Ran/Walked.) Things seemed to be going really well. I started at 330 and by April I was down to 297. I took pictures every sunday and measured myself every four weeks.

Then something weird happened. I stopped losing. Nothing had changed in my routine, I just...stopped. And I stayed stopped for weeks. I kept counting, kept eating well, cut out a ton of sodium. Still - nothing. I started to feel desperate and frustrated and then the worst possible thing happened in June. I injured my foot. I couldn't do cardio, I could barely hobble around. The morning after my injury the scale shot up to 312. I should have headed into the doctor, but I didn't. I took 4 weeks off from working out to let it heal. In that time, my weight bounced between 303-312 seemingly every couple of days. I got frustrated.

My weight evened out at 308 once I headed back to the gym and has come down to 306 in the last couple of weeks. I was happy it was going down, frustrated that I was eating right and working out and my body wasn't obeying the rules like it had. Since April when my weight loss stopped, I'd also stopped taking pictures. I didn't want to see visual proof of my failure.

This morning I finally got my husband to take pictures of me in the same pants and shirt I was wearing in the last pictures I took in April. I was stunned by the difference, especially in the lower stomach area. Clearly my body has been changing, even though the scale has told me I've actually gained weight. I've been frustrated to the point of tears, and yet...and yet my body is changing for the better. I can see the difference. I really want the scale to go down, but I can't tell you how relieved I am to have visual proof that what I'm doing isn't for nothing.

If I had to give advice to people losing weight it would be take pictures, every week, regardless of how we feel. The scale lies - or at least, it doesn't tell the full story. I get it now.

(And my NSV to go along with these pictures? I can now cross my legs. Both of them. Who knew this could be so rewarding?)

So between these pictures I've gained 9 lbs.

Great job and totally crazy about the weight! That is a huge fluctuation. I would've been really frustrated too :(

Forgot to say, I can totally see a difference :) That's what the great job is aimed at.
  • RenovatingSuzanne
    Options
    Great NSV!! I take the scale as one indicator, but not the only one as to how I'm doing.

Good job, keep up the amazing work.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Im happy for you, keep going, excited to see pics in a few months!
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    Awesome progress! Pictures don't lie! I've been avoiding them, so thank you very much for posting this. I'll have my husband take pictures (yuck!) of me today so I have a visual log as well. Keep up the great work and dedication!
  • supergirl6
    Options
    @ekking69 - I have been keeping all my front photos togther in a document in photoshop and all of the side ones together with the months under each picture. It's so amazing to see the change visual. I also had my husband take one with no shirt of my back. I've seen a lot of changes there too, but I'm not posting my shirtless photos on here :-)

Thank you for all the encouragement everyone!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Big difference in your lower tummy area! Great job! Keep up the good work and I daresay your scales will start to reward you eventually. You may have to change things up just a bit (eat cleaner maybe? or do a different workout routine?) but with hard work you will see a difference in your numbers. :)
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Oh geez! Great progress! Keep going! The scale is only a piece; definitely need measurements and pics!

Exact same story with me! I have a topic in here - Insanity Progress pics with the same issue. I have only loss 4 lbs and I think since we see ourselves daily AND are our own worst critics, we can't tell the changes! If not for my pictures, I know would have quit!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it is clear your body is changing!!! Way to go!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!