Advice on avoiding foot pain after running

Options
Before I explain my problem, I just wanted to let everyone know I am seeking a doctor's opinion, but unfortunately they can't take me as a new patient until late August. That's a long time to be wandering around potentially hurting myself, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice on how to get by from now until then.

I am currently 306lbs. I started at 330 in December. I've been running and strength training and completed my first 5k in April. Considering my weight, my aches and pains were getting better, not worse. My knees had never felt so good as they did in April.

Then at the beginning of June I was running on the treadmill. I got off and felt an intense pain in the bottom of my right foot (like a stabbing up through the bottom). I wear running shoes that were fitted for me at a pro running store, so I don't think that had anything to do with it. I could barely walk out of the gym and for the next couple of days walking from the couch to the kitchen was an ordeal of hobbling and limping. I stubbornly decided not to go see a doctor at the time, figuring it would heal if I took some ibuprofen, iced it, and rested for a while. I didn't go back to the gym for 4 weeks while it slowly got better until there was hardly any pain at all. Then I went back to the gym in early July.

Now I can walk on the foot fine, sometimes it aches when I take my first couple of steps, but the pain recedes quickly. I can run for about .3/4 of a mile before the pain comes back sharp and intolerable. I decided last week enough was enough and finally made a call to see someone.

The pain is in my right foot, middle of the foot, along the outer edge on the bottom. The pain is mostly an ache, but can also feel like a stabbing pain. Sometimes when I first stand up I have to ease my weight onto it in order to avoid instant pain, and usually after the first few steps the pain lessons. I wear Brooks Dyad running shoes, and have since gotten a new pair of the new version that came out a few weeks ago. Aside from ice, I don't do anything special when I come home from the gym.

Does anyone have any advice on if there's any way to prep my foot before working out, or afterwards? Have you experienced this kind of pain and what did you discover when you went to see the doctor? I don't know what to even expect. I'm honestly scared of finding out I'm going to need surgery and will be forced off it for several months. I've come so far in my weight loss I don't want to go backwards. I think that's why I've put off going in to see him in the first place. (I know it sounds silly - I should want to get better even if it means stopping my progress for a while, but it can still feel scary.)

Thanks for anything you can tell me :-)

Replies

• CoachRobinson
    Options
    First --WAY TO GO!!!!! You are on a fitness journey and have a lot to be proud of!!

Disclaimer - I'm not a doctor. I am a "runner" *gasp* who recently consulted a podiatrist for foot pain. The Dr. is a triathlete and supermarathon-er. Here's what I learned. I was in shoes that were "too neutral", and even though I was fitted at a top running store -- there were better options. Second, I have an unbalanced gait -- left over from 6 knee surgeries, and I have a very high arch, and no shoe can support it as I increase my mileage. I was given an over the counter orthotic to try. I also have tight tendons, and now do stretching exercises 2x/day. I think ultimately I will wind up with a pair of custom orthotics as I still have some pain.

Call the doctor's office back and tell them that you have an injury, and are available for any cancellations. Normally the word "injury" moves you up on the scheduling priority. Pay attention to small details so you can tell the doctor. Is there swelling? How long does it last? Does the ice and ibuprophen relieve the pain? For how long?

Don't jump to the worst conclusion of stopping altogether. (It's easy to let your mind go there - I completely get that!) In the meantime, do you have access to a recumbent bike or a pool so you can keep moving, but with with less impact on the bottom of your foot? Use this as a time to add some variety to your workouts.

You will be successful - not because you are running, but because you are working, every day, at becoming a better you!!!
    Good luck!!!
    Dee
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plantar fascia problem to me.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plantar fascia problem to me.

I agree. My son was injured going down a chute from a ferry into the water in an emergency evacuation drill. He was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis (sp). He has to wear a custom made orthotic now. If you do some searching on the internet there are some good exercises to help it along. Good luck, I hope you get into to see the Doctor soon.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,630 Member
    Options
    Echo above. Symptoms are that of plantar faciitis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @coachrobinson: I took your advice and called the doctor back and told them what happened and that I was having trouble walking. They called me in to have an xray immediately. (I work at the hospital so I was able to go straight over). I have an appointment at 2pm today to find out what I've done.

Thank you all for your advice! I think I really just needed to tell other people about what I was experiencing for me to convince myself to deal with it and not put it off anymore. Thank you all for listening.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    If this is what it is, you will need to stay off of it and let it heal - not keep pushing it. Mine got so bad once that the podiatrist bound my foot and I couldn't even get it wet, which wasn't fun.
  • wingshooter2004
    Options
    Sounds like plantar faciitis. I have been dealing with it for about 9 months now and it is almost healed. I went to the doctor, wore a night boot for about a month and an arch suport insert. Taping when you run works well. There are vids on youtube of how tape for plantar faciitis. It works. I used this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xptw5wOSLLQ
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Echo above. Symptoms are that of plantar faciitis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree. My husband is sidelined with this injury right now. MD told him no running for 3 months.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Agree, sounds like plantar fasciitis. I've got it in my left foot. Stretching really does help. Stand on the edge of a stair, with your heels hanging off of the back, and slowly lower to stretch out the muscles.
    Unfortunately, pushing through isn't going to help. Whenever mine flairs up, I have to take a few days off of running.
    Walking or running barefoot for more than a mile is a big no-no for me now. My running shoes need to have a supportive heel and high arch support.
    Good news though, even with plantar fasciitis, I can still run. I just have to be careful to stretch out and wear proper shoes. And as I have lost weight, getting out of bed in the morning has stopped hurting. Used to be that my first few steps of the day were incredibly painful, even without exercise to irritate it.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fractured or micro fractured foot. I recommend no more cardio that involves walking on your feet till you visit your doctor.

I would do a lot of cardio + abs = bicycle exercises on your back. Combine crunches and cycling your legs in the air for 30mins/day. It is really challenging and won't hurt your feet.

It will give you time to heal and it is always good to change up your exercise routine to prevent plateau.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sounds very much like Plantar Fasciitis. Stretching can be very helpful in that case. Here are some plantar's stretches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMosf1HBWg8

Most new runners experience injuries from doing too much, too soon. I know I was in that exact same boat... I ended up with shin splints within 2 months of starting to run. Our mind basically says yes, our bodies say no. In my case it was almost 15 years between runs that did me in. Until you are feeling better dial back your mileage to allow for healing.

Consider adding only 10% per week to your mileage and also adding a stretching regimen post exercise.