Sodium grrrrrr

Options
CatMauro
CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
So here's my problem:

The more I eat, the more calories I get but I'm still supposed to stay under 2500mg of sodium per day. How on earth am I supposed to eat up to 2500 cals per day (after exercise) and still maintain a low sodium diet??? I know that as I exercise, I sweat and therefore going a little bit over my 2500mg of sodium is not the end of the world but I've been tending to be anywhere from 500mg-2000mg over (depending on the day).

So, ladies and gentlemen (especially you athletes out there), how do you manage your sodium intake and still take in enough calories to fuel your workouts???

Replies

• ashjdavis88
    ashjdavis88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you have high blood pressure sodium isn't really going to be an issue. Just make sure to drink extra water to get rid of the bloat and cleanse your system out!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I posted a very similar topic. I feel your pain...trust me I do.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can lower your sodium intake by avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Whole grains, fresh fruit & vegetables, fresh lean meats, fish, chicken, turkey, low fat dairy products, and cooking your own food from scratch as much as possible.
    It was a real eye opener for me when I started reading food labels. Sodium and sugar is in everything. I spent a lot of time on line looking for the best choices for low sodium meals when I recently met a friend for dinner one night. It is very difficult to avoid when eating at a restaurant.