Thanksgiving On Monday...

Options
Okay. As any of you fellow Canadians know Thanksgiving is on Monday. I'm having trouble deciding, Should I just throw my calories out the window for that one day? Because I know I wont be exercising. Everything is going to be so tasty, and full of calories.. gravey... :grumble: . I don't know what to do..
But on the other hand I've just started my journey, will gorging on one day mess up all of my hard work?:sad:
Thanks if you answer this. And are you going to eat over your calories/exercise on thanksgiving.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    American Thanksgiving isn't until later, but my plan is to eat what I want, but smaller (than previous years) portions. I'm not going to gorge myself but I will eat what I want. Thanksgiving and Christmas and my birthday only come once. I'm not denying myself good food for the sake of weight loss, but I'm not going to go hog wild and pretend it won't impact my weight. :flowerforyou:
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Maybe take 1/2 portions of what you normally do, and really savor the tastes. If there is something extra special, then have seconds. I don't think you have to count calories that day, but practice good portion control.
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    we dont have thanksgiving here in Ireland, but for christmas my goal was not to gain any weight and i think i did great, i only gained a half a pound last year :blushing:

i had some of everything, just not in the giant portions from the previous years, i had a great christmas, had lots of fun, but didnt go too crazy on the food front :flowerforyou:

it all depends on how you want to be the following week, having to lose another load of extra weight or just about the same, which i was delighted about! :drinker:
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    yes u are just starting so to me that wud be a great time to practive self control.
    TRY/TASTE everything u wud like but don't stuff ur face. u will regret it later.
  • daybyday815
    Options
    Eat veggies first, drink two full glasses of water beforehand and i usually find that since i'm not hungry anymore I'm generally satisified with small tastes of all those delicious side items!
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Sure. Eat whatever you want, but eat slowwwwwly,
    Because if you eat quickly, man, will your stomach be miserable.
    As long as you focus on enjoying the food and stop when you start to feel full, no reason for you not to enjoy the day.
    If you do that, and drink water/veggies as someone suggested, you'll be surprised at how well you do.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and I'm going into it with a plan he he he. See, skinless, white turkey meat isn't too bad, it's actually a rather low-fat protein, plus lots of fresh salad, green beans, I'm going to skip the mashed potatoes so that I can have a tiny taste of dessert, and do a workout the day before and the next day, maybe take a walk in the afternoon or SOMETHING. You can induldge a little without just giving yourself carte blanche and ruining all your hard work. Good luck!! :drinker: Happy Turkey Day!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i plan on having everything including sweets but i dont plan on going overboard on anything other than veggies...i know the bigger the plate the more satisfied my brain will think i am so i will have a bit of turkey, potato and stuffing and then load the rest of my plate with vegs and a drizzle of gravy over everything that way i wont feel deprived.

I will start my day with a good breakfast and light lunch [some salad, protein etc,] get in a good walk with the doggies sun and monday, and shouldn't have to feel too guilty about it.

PG:flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    i plan on having everything including sweets but i dont plan on going overboard on anything other than veggies...i know the bigger the plate the more satisfied my brain will think i am so i will have a bit of turkey, potato and stuffing and then load the rest of my plate with vegs and a drizzle of gravy over everything that way i wont feel deprived.

I will start my day with a good breakfast and light lunch [some salad, protein etc,] get in a good walk with the doggies sun and monday, and shouldn't have to feel too guilty about it.

PG:flowerforyou:

I just need to know what is that a picture of in your pic?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:

LMFAO this came up in a previous thread:tongue:

it's my great dane pup laying in the grass with me beside him trying to take a pic but all you can see of me in the bottom right corner is my nose, the rest is him, eyes and big nose
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating a bunch, but then my cousins and I play football in the street the rest of the afternoon, so It will probably be a break even day. Christmas on the other hand will be a set back.
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    My family doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving so I don't have to worry about it :tongue:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    :bigsmile:

LMFAO this came up in a previous thread:tongue:

it's my great dane pup laying in the grass with me beside him trying to take a pic but all you can see of me in the bottom right corner is my nose, the rest is him, eyes and big nose

Ah OKAY, now I see it... Thanks :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Canuck - I'm SKIPPING Thanksgiving so that I don't pig out on turkey, mashed, gravy and all the fixins!!!:laugh:
    Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canuckians!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My first year I decided to eat whatever I wanted. Then as I started to cook the meal, I noticed the ingreds I was using were different this year. Mashed potatoes made with veggie stock, cauliflower mashed the same way, whole baked sweet taters, Olive oil and thyme for the turkey, bread stuffing made with whole grain breads and veggie stock and a 1/2 stick of real butter.

I also did not want to 'pig out' the way I used to. I had plenty of white meat turkey and even a slice of pumpkin pie........but not nearly what I would normally eat.

I ate my maint. cals that day and was happy, satisfied and not riddled with guilt for a week!!

HAVE FUN!!:drinker:
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have been stressing about this. My plan is to wake up early to fit in a workout before the family time starts. I will have a bit of everything that I like, but I plan to eat more lean turkey and small portions of everything else. I am going to eat like the French if you will. Take enough to have 3 bites of everything.
    I will skip dessert, but I will more than make up for that with wine I am sure. It is my weakness, especially when I am at my in-laws, haha.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am suffering the canadian thankgiving dilema too. I have a dinner with my mom's side of the family tonight, and my fiance's side tomorrow!!! Thankfully my mom's side is filled with great cooks, and his side...well not so much :blushing:

I already planned out on here what I am going to eat, which is turkey (I dont actually like it all that much) a 1/3cup of mashed potatoes, the steamed veggies, salad and a smallllllll piece of pumpkin pie today and I am going to fill up on salad tomorrow because i dont like turkey more than a couple times a year and the rest of the food tomorrow wont be much of an issue hehehe.

His mom makes an amazing salad though so Im genuinely excited for that :smile: Good luck with your dinner tomorrow, but play around on here and see what your calorie intake looks like. sometiems just seeing it in black and white makes it much easier to say yes or no!
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    We're having our dinner tonight. I've already logged it in so I know how much I can take of everything. Since I'm also having a karate class this morning it's actually not too bad - I'll just need to be careful with my other meals; add some more protein so I won't be too hungry at dinner time.

:drinker:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My holiday strategy is always to take a little bit of everything I really want. My husband decides on a few foods he really wants and eats normal portions of just those things. Like he doesn't really care about bread or potatoes, so he skips those. Also I do not allow myself any seconds; I can only eat what fits on my plate. So I get my holiday meal, I just eat a lot less than I used to. You could also volunteer to take a veggie tray and munch on that before the big meal just so you aren't starving. Sometimes I also volunteer to bring a salad or something else and make it low-cal, so at least there is one low cal dish! I say enjoy yourself, one day won't kill you, but get back on track the next day. And try to fit in some kind of exercise if you can.