Glycogen storage

Options
Ok, so I have to admit to being a little clueless! I was wondering if anyone could help explain what is the deal with glycogen storage is? I run a lot so I am sure it is probably an issue for me. In terms of adding calories (I am going into maintance and also going to try and eat back some exercise calories for the first time), how will I know what's normal weight gain because of water and when to stop adding? I am really sorry to ask so many questions!!!! I am very determined to get healthy now that I realize I have been eating quite too little for the amount of running I am doing, but just don't know enough about how to go about this...lol. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    From Wikipedia.org

"Glycogen is a multibranched polysaccharide that serves as a form of energy storage in animals[2] and fungi. In humans, glycogen is made and stored primarily in the cells of the liver and the muscles, and functions as the secondary long-term energy storage (with the primary energy stores being fats held in adipose tissue). Glycogen can also be made via glycogenesis within the brain and stomach.[3]

In the liver hepatocytes, glycogen can compose up to eight percent of the fresh weight (100–120 g in an adult) soon after a meal.[4] Only the glycogen stored in the liver can be made accessible to other organs. In the muscles, glycogen is found in a low concentration (one to two percent of the muscle mass). The amount of glycogen stored in the body—especially within the muscles, liver, and red blood cells[5][6][7]—mostly depends on physical training, basal metabolic rate, and eating habits such as intermittent fasting. Small amounts of glycogen are found in the kidneys, and even smaller amounts in certain glial cells in the brain and white blood cells. The uterus also stores glycogen during pregnancy to nourish the embryo.[8]"

So to answer your question on how much weight to be expected from storage of glycogen per wikipedia-
    1: up to eight percent of the fresh weight (100–120 g in an adult) soon after a meal.

2:one to two percent of the muscle mass - mostly depends on physical training, basal metabolic rate, and eating habits such as intermittent fasting.

Your body weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs a day by the way. You should never be sorry for asking questions and trying to be healthy. Good luck.