Going over my protein numbers consistently...??

Options
nixism
nixism Posts: 258 Member
Hi there,
I am often going over my recommended protein number. Will this affect my Weight loss alot?
My allocation is around 54 and I'm usually in the 70s.
Any advice?
Many thanks!! :)

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Me too. I googled it, and found excess protein can lead to weight gain. I'm pretty happy with my rate of weight loss right now, so I haven't been cutting back, but as I get lighter (hopefully) maybe I will need to watch it more.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I think too overly excessive can be a problem, but I also think MFP has the need
    Rote in a bit low. I think 60-75 is good for me.
  • Omsy828
    Omsy828 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go over every day also but as long as ur doing activity that requires use of a lot of muscle groups u'll be fine. Basically if you're sore its ok, if not train harder. I've been going over lately 2 but i lost another pound in 3 days.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    MFP has protein set low in comparison if you do some reading. Your body needs protein for building muscles, your hair (not enough can make your hair fall out) skin, and nails.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't see where too much protein is a problem at all. Protein and healthy fats (polyunsaturated and monounsaturated) help keep you full longer and the body NEEDS these to burn energy and to keep you from losing muscle mass. In my nutrition training I was taught that these are good things. I do think that MFP has protein needs listed a bit low.
  • apieceofawesomeness
    Options
    My personal trainer has me aiming for 90 despite what MFP says. But then I am doing strength training as well.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I say congratulations on staying full with good stuff. I am always over, actually disappointed if I am not 30-40 over. I try to eat .7-1g per pound of body weight. You are fine.
  • Palio75
    Palio75 Posts: 72
    Options
    It depends on your fitness goals and activity. In order to lose weight, but maintain muscle you need protein.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can change the proportions of where your calories are coming from in your settings. I changed mine to 40%/30%/30% (carbs/fat/protein) a la the Zone diet and I'm struggling to meet my protein allowance.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    MFP sets it rather low. For me, it suggests 100g but I do 235g each day since i do my lean body mass x 1.6 to support my high protein diet. Although the pathways exists to convert (excess) protein into fat, the circumstances for it to occur is next to nill.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Check my diary if you think too much protein is a problem(well, at least for me). I have mine set at 40% of my calories.
  • littlebecc
    littlebecc Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't see where too much protein is a problem at all.

There's actually many problems associated with too much consumption of animal protein.
    Most Americans are eating double the required amount of protein their body needs which is putting extra strain on certain parts of the body and isn't good for long term health.
    I'd say aim for your daily but try not to overdo it. Just my two cents/thoughts.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm from New Zealand and when I post I never get responses as I'm always posting when I guess you guys are asleep!! I am so pleased to see so many responses... thank you so much. I will try again today and see how I am going. My biggest problem is the lack of exercise lately... will try harder. Thanks again :)
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says 70-80 g of protein a day for women and 90-100 for men is a good goal. Your body needs the protein to build muscle and to function. And if you get your body to feed off protein instead of carbs, you will lost weight faster. It takes a few weeks but it works. :)