Meeting nice guys

Options
I know this is a weight loss group, but I'm trying to find a nice guy, and I'm having such a hard time. I met my last boyfriend online and he was the biggest jerk and liar I have ever met, was really mean to me all the time.

Anyways, I'm not getting any results with online dating, and wanted to know where would be a good place to go to meet truly nice guys. I don't go to bars and I know that church is a good place, but I haven't been to church in a long time. I may start going back pretty soon though.

Any advice you guys give would be great. Thank you so much.

Replies

• laurajoyk
    Options
    I know this is a weight loss group, but I'm trying to find a nice guy, and I'm having such a hard time. I met my last boyfriend online and he was the biggest jerk and liar I have ever met, was really mean to me all the time.

Anyways, I'm not getting any results with online dating, and wanted to know where would be a good place to go to meet truly nice guys. I don't go to bars and I know that church is a good place, but I haven't been to church in a long time. I may start going back pretty soon though.

Any advice you guys give would be great. Thank you so much.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things do you like to do yourelf? Hobbies like bike riding, or sports, or horseback riding, or _______________? There are usually community based clubs and events for nearly any activity from scrapbooking to chess to cribbage to sports. It's a good way to meet someone who shares at least one common interest...and then, who knows? I also recommend church. I hope you find someone as wonderful as I did (after I'd completely given up ever finding anyone!)
    Cowboy
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Thanks Cowboy. I'll look into that.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have the solution and it has never failed me. It's a two-pronged approach:

1. Do what you normally love to do -- don't do anything just for the purpose of meeting guys. And if the things that you love to do are solitary pursuits (doesn't matter if it's knitting, reading, watching TV, baking), then you just keep doing them, you just do them in public. The key is to just be OUT THERE, living your life in a way where you have the most opportunity to meet people. As my 90-year-old friend always tells me "ain't nobody gonna come knocking on your door to ask you out." Life is short, and people are put in your path for a reason. But you have to be out there, walking along your path to meet them.

2. Smile. All the time, at total strangers. A real smile, with your eyes, showing teeth. What's the harm? To quote Dale Carnegie:
    It costs nothing, but creates much. It enriches those who receive, without impoverishing those who give. It happens in a flash and the memory of it sometimes last forever...Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed or stolen, for it is something that is no earthly good to anybody until it is given away.

You'll feel a bit like a deranged maniac at first, but once you start, you'll realize how many smile back...and that's the first step right there...

Just my 2 cents.
  • jennababe1992
    Options
    Dude, if i were you i would just stop dating people online, and like just wait for someone. Just try to make really good friends, than it might turn into something. But searching for the guy prolly isn't going to be the best thing for you to do bc you will find alot of jerks.

Also, you might not want to date guys online. It like never works out... Just saying.

I hope you do find a guy though. :]

~Me~
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a few suggestions.....
    Don't limit yourself to just wanting to meet guys.....If you meet more females and network, they may have male friends that they can introduce you to.
    Also, consider joining your local "Y" and some of the activities they have to offer.
    Get outside your home and be active in your community. You never know who you'll meet.
    Good luck and keep us updated.:smile::happy: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Thanks everyone, those are all really helpful. I'll definitely try to become less of a homebody :wink: I do spend a lot of time at home alone. So I'll get out there and start meeting people somehow. Thanks, and I'll keep you posted
  • nicole0177
    Options
    Looking for guys online probably isnt the best idea. But what i have learned is that nothings gonna happen if you try to make it happen. You shouldnt concentrate so much finding someone because that will just put you in more horrible pointless relationships. what i have learned is it will happen when you least expect it and arent trying. And who knows you could meet mr. right any where. just stop stressing over it and it will happen. and it will I promise!!!:heart:

hope i helped:happy:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    In Chicago, we have something called High Life Adventures. It's a singles group that plan different activites. It's not a dating scene but you can definitely find someone with similar tastes. I have never done this because I am married but I totally would if I was single.

Check in Alaska for something similar. Even go with some girlfriends so you are not alone, just make sure they are not prettier than you. :wink: :laugh:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Thanks, I'll remember that. LOL

I think I'm just going to be more active in general, and not go looking for anyone. At least try not to. We'll see what happens.

Thank you all for your advice.