Can I trade fat for muscle?

Options
2»

Replies

• kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    you cant trade fat for muscle. they are different types of cells. you can however lose fat and put on muscle :)
    I'm in the same boat, dont look at the scale. Have you had your body fat % measured? Go by how your clothes fit!

I'm pretty sure that's what she meant. She didn't say turn fat into muscle. It looks like she's been at this long enough to know that. If you replace fat pounds with muscle pounds without losing weight, you are essentially trading fat for muscle.

This is exactly where I'm at, except I have more fat on my belly to swap out. But I'm eating at maintenance at hitting the weights hard to use calories that would have gone to support existing fat to build muscle.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The girl in the picture is a "Success Story" over on nerdfitness.com - you can read about how she remade her body for yourself:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I actually know who stacy is and she is actually the reason I'm switching to paleo but she did something to lose the weight that I am uncomfortable with doing. She stopped counting calories. This is why I feel like I cant exactly do what she did, because Im afraid to stop counting. Also- she started out from being very thin to building muscle- Im starting out with what I think is at least 5lbs of fat too many- does this matter?

Yep, Staci at nerdfitness is an inspiration to a lot of women: she educated herself and sought to understand how proper training and nutrition can greatly impact and reshape ones body. Most importantly, she kept challenging herself and continued to break barriers.

You seemed to suggest that if I simply educated myself (Im assuming on the paleo diet and lifting) I could have her results. I lift when Im in school because I have access to a gym-during summer I dont so I have been doing insanity. On the diet front I have been slowly inching towards a more and more paleo diet- do you think once it is 100% I could quit couunting and still look like Stacy?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I didn't imply that you should come to the same conclusions as Staci and adopt paleo or make the same food choices as her - I meant by studying exercise physiology and nutrition you can make the best choices for your goals and individual lifestyle as well as maximizing training.

I personally do not follow Paleo - if I did, I'd be a very modified follower since I consume lots of cottage cheese and steel cut oatmeal.

One thing I do not do anymore, though, is count calories because I've been eating the same variety of foods for quite some time. I have nutritional logs for when I cut, maintain or eat at a surplus with portions, not caloric values documented. Thus, even without knowing the caloric values of the foods, I know how much to add in my meal plans. It took some time, but eventually you'll just be able to understand what and how much your body needs throughout the day and won't worry about the numbers anymore.