Apples...

KZOsMommy
KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
ok I need some healthy apple recipes. My mother in law was so kind and brought us some fresh picked apples and I have so many there is no way we can eat them all before they go bad.

Thank you in advance :flowerforyou:

Amanda

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Haven't tried this but I just saw it in cooking light...

Cut the skin off the top half, core it almost completely but leave the bottom on, fill with a little bit of butter, brown sugar, and walnuts... it didn't give measurements but it said bake for 1 hour at 400 I think? May be kind of an experiment but you have lots of apple to experiment with! lol Good luck...

~Leash :heart:
  • Pecan-Apple Cobbler Recipe

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (divided)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (divided)
    8 cups peeled, cored, cubed apples (about eight medium-size)
    1/2 cup dried cherries
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3/4 cup water (divided)
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/3-cup half-and-half cream or light half-and-half

Directions:
    Preheat oven for five minutes. Prepare topping in a small bowl; stir together flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Set aside.

In another small bowl, combine pecans, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.

In another small bowl, combine pecans, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.

Prepare filling in large saucepan: Combine apples, cherries, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch. Add to saucepan. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Keep hot.Stir half-and-half into flour mixture, just enough to moisten. Transfer filling to 2-quart square baking dish. Using spoon, immediately drop topping into small mounds on top of filling. Sprinkle with pecan mixture. Bake 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into top comes out clean.

Recipe makes four to six servings.
  • Apple Bowtie Salad

Ingredients

1 cup bowtie pasta, dry

1 large apple (of your choice)

2 tablespoons orange juice

1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat

12 cherry tomatoes cut in half

4 cups romaine lettuce

1/3 cup light ranch salad dressing

Method

•Bring medium size pot of water to boil and add bowtie pasta.

•Simmer 11 minutes until pasta is tender.

•Drain pasta and cool.

•Cut apple in quarters.

•Remove core and slice into 1/4-inch pieces.

•Place sliced apples into a small bowl, add orange juice and stir so juice covers all apple slices.

•Shred cheese.

•Cut tomatoes into halves.

•In a large salad bowl, add romain lettuce, tomatoes, apples with juice, cheese and pasta.

•Add dressing and toss, coating all ingredients. Serve

Salad yields 4 servings

1-1/2 cups of fruits and vegetables per serving.

Each serving provides: An excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and a good source of fiber.

Nutrition Information per Serving:

Calories: 224 Total Fat: 6.7g Saturated Fat: 1.8g % of Calories from Fat: 26% % of Calories from Saturated Fat: 7% Protein: 7g Carbohydrates: 36g Cholesterol: 8mg Dietary Fiber: 3g Sodium: 242mg
  • just make applesauce. peel and cut them into chunks, put them in a pot with the cover on and a low flame. stir every ten minutes or so so they don't burn on the bottom. i usually throw in a few scraps of the peel for color. when it's as cooked down as you want it ( I prefer it chunky) take it off the flame and let it cool. I always add a generous amount of cinnamon, but nothing else. You can use a mix of variety's if you have them. If you like apples i think you'll enjoy this.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Cut up Granny smith apples
    Add Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt
    Candied Peacans or Walnuts, Then mix..super easy
    It makes a very yummy apple salad. Sorry I don't have measurements or cals but to make it healthier I'd go light on the candied nuts:happy:
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Ingredients
    3 medium baking apples, cored, sliced thin
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 Tbsp sugar
    2 Tbsp flour

Topping:
    1 cup quick oats
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbsp heart-healthy margarine

Directions
    Mix first four ingredients and place into 9-inch (square or round) baking dish.

In small bowl, mix Topping ingredients until crumbly. Spinkle topping over apple the apples.

Bake at 325 degrees F until apples are soft and topping is golden brown (about 30 minutes).

Number of Servings: 9

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 9
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 131.5
    Total Fat: 3.6 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 33.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 24.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
    Protein: 1.5 g
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    1 small package jello instant sugar free-fat free butterscotch pudding (dry)
    1 8oz. crushed pineapple in own juice
    3 cups or 3 shredded apples (with or without skin) granny smith apples are best
    8 ounces Cool Whip fat free-sugar free
    1 cup miniature marshmallows

Directions
    mix every thing together and let sit at least one hour

Number of Servings: 6

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 67.5
    Total Fat: 0.0 g
    Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    Sodium: 53.3 mg
    Total Carbs: 12.8 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
    Protein: -0.2 g
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Dice an apple, add some chopped walnuts, and ground cinnamon and microwave for 30 seconds then mix in with vanilla yogurt... yummy! :love:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    just make applesauce. peel and cut them into chunks, put them in a pot with the cover on and a low flame. stir every ten minutes or so so they don't burn on the bottom. i usually throw in a few scraps of the peel for color. when it's as cooked down as you want it ( I prefer it chunky) take it off the flame and let it cool. I always add a generous amount of cinnamon, but nothing else. You can use a mix of variety's if you have them. If you like apples i think you'll enjoy this.
    I've done this in a crockpot over night.
    yummy
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    just make applesauce. peel and cut them into chunks, put them in a pot with the cover on and a low flame. stir every ten minutes or so so they don't burn on the bottom. i usually throw in a few scraps of the peel for color. when it's as cooked down as you want it ( I prefer it chunky) take it off the flame and let it cool. I always add a generous amount of cinnamon, but nothing else. You can use a mix of variety's if you have them. If you like apples i think you'll enjoy this.

I use red hots in mine makes it really good with kinda of a kick
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    bump - just inherited a half bushel!
This discussion has been closed.