Accurate Body Fat %

Options
I've been on many websites and I'd get different percentages. One said 17.9, one was 20, and another was 24. Is there any website that is more accurate?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    No. They're all just estimates. If you want true figures, get tested with Bod Pod. The estimates for me were either in the high 20's (yeah right) or 44% to 45%. I was tested with the Bod Pid and actual was 39.2%
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    Where can I get this done? I am very curious as to what my real BF% is..
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The online calculators have too much of a standard deviation and are not at all accurate - 6% is a rather large range. You can visit your doctor and have skinfold measurements taken via calipers. Unless you know of a personal trainer who can do it for free, has a lot of experience using them and can accurately locate the three measurements (tricep, thigh, suprailium). Note that calipers offer a +/-3% error. Yet another option would be hydrostatic weighing, though its only accurate if you completely blow out all the air in your lungs prior - it has a +/-1.5% error and can be done for about $50 at most universities. DEXA is great and calculates bone density, fat mass, muscle mass, etc but can be very expensive: $200 on up at most clinics.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well, this is strange. Your post made me curious so I checked it out...I thought no way can an online tool give me an accurate body fat %. I just had mine measured last week by a doctor and it was 26.1%. I plugged in my numbers on one of the online calculators and it said my body fat was 26%. Wow! Not sure if that was just random chance or if those things actually work...Here's the site I used: http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php :flowerforyou:

Edited for typo.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Where can I get this done? I am very curious as to what my real BF% is..

Most larger cities have at least one Bod Pod that is open to public. It was a little pricy in my city, at $75 but worth it.
    This website, by the company that makes them has a locator at the bottom right hand side of this web page.

Good luck!

http://www.cosmed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1262&Itemid=310&lang=en
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, you might want to check into a bodpod near you. I had mine tested at the bodpod on campus for 50$. First time I've ever had it tested and they are 90% accurate. One of the most accurate ways of measuring bodyfat.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    The healthyforms link above uses only waist measurement. For those of us with an apple shaped figure, it ridiculously overestimates fat mass. It came up with 34% for me and I know mine is 27%.

I got a DEXA done - have done so a couple of times - it's $100 in Vancouver. Worth it for peace of mind if you ask me.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I've even seen Body Pod give bad numbers.

I had calipers done by a trainer and she said 19% but that's way too low. I just go by appearance and guess.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

And really, to me the actual number doesn't matter any more than the scale number does. I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror or in pictures. Right now I see too much fat on my thighs so I'm working on it. Someday I'll be happy with my thighs but then of course my upper body might be too skinny, so I need to find some kind of balance.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've even seen Body Pod give bad numbers.

I had calipers done by a trainer and she said 19% but that's way too low. I just go by appearance and guess.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

And really, to me the actual number doesn't matter any more than the scale number does. I just want to be happy with what I see in the mirror or in pictures. Right now I see too much fat on my thighs so I'm working on it. Someday I'll be happy with my thighs but then of course my upper body might be too skinny, so I need to find some kind of balance.

The numbers may matter due to inner body fat which doesn't show when your looking in the mirror.