Net Calories.

Options

Replies

• moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    These threads make me laugh a bit to myself. None of us had any trouble netting a gazzillion calories before mfp. Now all of a sudden we can't eat????? Come on!
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    These threads make me laugh a bit to myself. None of us had any trouble netting a gazzillion calories before mfp. Now all of a sudden we can't eat????? Come on!

Well of course it's not a problem to net high calories when you're not working out at all and eating fast food 3 times a day.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If you don't consume enough, then you will loose muscle mass, not fat. Starving yourself into loosing weight is NOT the way to do it. You're going to do more harm than good.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    If you don't consume enough, then you will loose muscle mass, not fat. Starving yourself into loosing weight is NOT the way to do it. You're going to do more harm than good.

I'm not starving myself. Like I said, if I'm hungry, I eat. I never go hungry. This is not a daily thing, it's the first time it's happened.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Please take advice on a public forum as opinions. If in doubt consult a REAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

My opinion for what its worth: Eat fresh non processed foods when your hungry, work out but dont kill your self and do NOT worry bout the calculations of all this stuff of BMR TDEE and Net calories.

Good luck to you.

I wish when I first got here I didnt listen to all the forum opinions. I wasted 2 months trying to recover from bad advice.

It is your body, you know when your hungry, when to stop exercise. Listen to your body.
  • postrockandcats
    Options

I'm not starving myself. Like I said, if I'm hungry, I eat. I never go hungry. This is not a daily thing, it's the first time it's happened.

Eating only 600 calories all day and then burning off 600 at the gym? At the very least it's irresponsible and scary. If this is how you want to eat, don't work out. You will hurt yourself. Please, consult a doctor about this. Get a nutritionist. Something.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    Please take advice on a public forum as opinions. If in doubt consult a REAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

My opinion for what its worth: Eat fresh non processed foods when your hungry, work out but dont kill your self and do NOT worry bout the calculations of all this stuff of BMR TDEE and Net calories.

Good luck to you.

I wish when I first got here I didnt listen to all the forum opinions. I wasted 2 months trying to recover from bad advice.

It is your body, you know when your hungry, when to stop exercise. Listen to your body.

Thank you. I was just wondering what people thought of the whole net calorie thing... didn't realize I'd be accused of starving myself. I'll eventually learn to stay away from the message boards.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options

Eating only 600 calories all day and then burning off 600 at the gym? At the very least it's irresponsible and scary. If this is how you want to eat, don't work out. You will hurt yourself. Please, consult a doctor about this. Get a nutritionist. Something.

I have yet to eat dinner so that is not all I will be eating today. 600 calories was my breakfast and lunch.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ I do " Intermittent Fasting " ... I have an 8 hour window every day to consume my calories and have no problem eating 1200 to 1600 calories a day. If you eat one ingredient foods such as Salmon, Chicken, Eggs, Edamame, Nuts, Seeds, Greens, Fruits, Colorful Veggies, Whole Grains ... Foods with considerable protein ... you will find that hitting the calories is never a problem.

But ... with that being said, everybody is different and some people whom eat back all their exercise calories find that they do not lose weight and sometimes even gain. This is because the calories and burn numbers are NOT a perfect science and a lot of people over estimate their burn and under estimate their food consumption.

If you wear an HRM ... this is the closest way to get accurate burn numbers, and even with an HRM ... I still never eat back all my calories from exercise ... there is always that " error " window.

It should also be considered that if you do eat back every calorie and are not losing weight .... then stop eating everything back ! You have to play with the numbers and fine tune your body to what works for you ... against all the times I was told I eat too little and burn way too much ... I have been quite successful at losing weight AND building muscle. I don't just sing to the choir ... my body is proof.

Bottom line ... eat when your hungry, find exercise that you love to do ... eat in moderation your favorite foods and load up on the veggies and H2O ! Never assume tomorrow is another day ... always start with today ! Just cause you blew it at breakfast does NOT mean the day is already a waste ... continue through it making wiser choices and finish strong !

I see so many people tell others do this, don't do that ... anything and everything has worked for somebody ! I can find one person to support an idea ... just as I can find one person to tear any regimen to pieces. If everybody could understand that what works for one person is not necessarily going to work for the next ... there would be a lot less failure and whole lot more success stories.

I can tell you that eating 1200 calories a day will never starve you .... that netting under your calories for the day won't kill you and eating back every calorie works for a lot of people .... just not everybody !

I sometimes net very low or even in the negative ... keyword being : sometimes.
    I sometimes eat my TDEE / BMR and still feel hungry ... So I eat some nuts or peanut butter.
    I sometimes eat a lot of my exercise calories back and see a gain the next day.
    I sometimes eat just my set calories and burn a 1,000+ calories ... and see a gain the next day.

Our bodies are unique ... you have to play with the numbers and find what works for you ... as your body goes through changes, so will your numbers.

I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories a day, working out 7 days a week and burning 1,000+ calories a day ... the weight came off easily ...

BUT ... when I got down to the last 25lbs to lose .... NONE of that worked ! I had to change everything ... and more than once ! I tried the eat more, weigh less approach ... nope, no go. I tried the TDEE - 500 cal, nope ... no go. Intermittent Fasting is what worked and still currently fits my lifestyle now ...

Again, it takes patience ... persistence and determination. Try whatever you find remotely appealing and see what happens. This is not a race to the end ... just a comfortable walk in the park.

Today ... I am comfortable. :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are not able to put in the planning to keep at a reasonable and healthy net, then you shouldn't exercise so much, as it is counterproductive. What is the point of honing a healthy body with a workout, when you are starving it of nutrition? I see no excuse to end up with nets that low, quite frankly. Your obviously not putting enough calories into your breakfast, lunch and snack, so maybe might look into better planning.

Also, not that hard to get close to 1000 calorie dinner, people doing intermittent fasting manage it well enough. A couple of salmon fillets, baked potato and some avocado and veggies would get you pretty close, with a snack of a handful of nuts.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    You are going to fail with your approach.
    There is no virtue in absurd food intake. Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great, you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Check out this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories

Don't fall into the crash diet trap. Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Here's a great group right here on MFP:
    Eat More To Weigh Less
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Join up and connect with other for support.
    Good Luck
  • cait58
    cait58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm hungry, I eat. That being said, I am usually under my net calorie goal. I think as long as you are getting your nutrients, and aren't in pain or fatigue, you're fine.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options

Bottom line ... eat when your hungry, find exercise that you love to do ... eat in moderation your favorite foods and load up on the veggies and H2O ! Never assume tomorrow is another day ... always start with today ! Just cause you blew it at breakfast does NOT mean the day is already a waste ... continue through it making wiser choices and finish strong !

I see so many people tell others do this, don't do that ... anything and everything has worked for somebody ! I can find one person to support an idea ... just as I can find one person to tear any regimen to pieces. If everybody could understand that what works for one person is not necessarily going to work for the next ... there would be a lot less failure and whole lot more success stories.

^ this. Thank you.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

Good luck to you.

How about just sticking with MFP recommendations.
    Take NO ADVICE!
    Simple deal.
  • xsabrinalynn
    Options
    I'm NOT starving myself. I'm NOT on a crash or starvation diet. I think I would know if I'm starving and if I were starving I would eat more. I promise that.

Thank you for all your opinions. I'm done here :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Just follow the MFP recommendations for healthy, steady and lasting results.
    You could reduce quicker, but what would be the quality of that weight loss?
    It could lead to increased muscle loss, and that stifles metabolism.
    No, eat right, exercise - both cardio and resistance, lose weight in such a way that maintains health and preserves lean body mass which burns more calories at rest.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:
    All Is Possible!
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ~ I do " Intermittent Fasting " ... I have an 8 hour window every day to consume my calories and have no problem eating 1200 to 1600 calories a day. If you eat one ingredient foods such as Salmon, Chicken, Eggs, Edamame, Nuts, Seeds, Greens, Fruits, Colorful Veggies, Whole Grains ... Foods with considerable protein ... you will find that hitting the calories is never a problem.

But ... with that being said, everybody is different and some people whom eat back all their exercise calories find that they do not lose weight and sometimes even gain. This is because the calories and burn numbers are NOT a perfect science and a lot of people over estimate their burn and under estimate their food consumption.

If you wear an HRM ... this is the closest way to get accurate burn numbers, and even with an HRM ... I still never eat back all my calories from exercise ... there is always that " error " window.

It should also be considered that if you do eat back every calorie and are not losing weight .... then stop eating everything back ! You have to play with the numbers and fine tune your body to what works for you ... against all the times I was told I eat too little and burn way too much ... I have been quite successful at losing weight AND building muscle. I don't just sing to the choir ... my body is proof.

I can tell you that eating 1200 calories a day will never starve you .... that netting under your calories for the day won't kill you and eating back every calorie works for a lot of people .... just not everybody !

I sometimes net very low or even in the negative ... keyword being : sometimes.
    I sometimes eat my TDEE / BMR and still feel hungry ... So I eat some nuts or peanut butter.
    I sometimes eat a lot of my exercise calories back and see a gain the next day.
    I sometimes eat just my set calories and burn a 1,000+ calories ... and see a gain the next day.

Our bodies are unique ... you have to play with the numbers and find what works for you ... as your body goes through changes, so will your numbers.

I lost the majority of my weight eating 1200 calories a day, working out 7 days a week and burning 1,000+ calories a day ... the weight came off easily ...

BUT ... when I got down to the last 25lbs to lose .... NONE of that worked ! I had to change everything ... and more than once ! I tried the eat more, weigh less approach ... nope, no go. I tried the TDEE - 500 cal, nope ... no go. Intermittent Fasting is what worked and still currently fits my lifestyle now ...

Again, it takes patience ... persistence and determination. Try whatever you find remotely appealing and see what happens. This is not a race to the end ... just a comfortable walk in the park.

Today ... I am comfortable. :flowerforyou:

AMEN!!! everyone on here is an expert on everyone else's body and regimen. Don't feel like you can't use the message boards, but just take advise with a grain of salt, and do what feels right for you. If you have serious concerns, consult with your doctor. I definitely encourage you to try a lot of different methods (eating 1200 cal, eating 1800 calories, eating your exercise calories, not eating your exercise calories, etc) and find your own success!

good luck to you!
  • ccole4
    ccole4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    =) good lck
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Options
    I'm NOT starving myself. I'm NOT on a crash or starvation diet. I think I would know if I'm starving and if I were starving I would eat more. I promise that.

Thank you for all your opinions. I'm done here :)
    Well Sunshine, don't push topics in a public forum if you don't want truth.
    MFP makes its recommendations for a reason, and that is to protect unlearned people from foolish crash diets.
    The one thing you won't be able to say after today is that you weren't warned.
    You will fail miserable. Get out of the absurd notion that you can starve yourself to goal. It's not a race.
    People in a race with nature finish last. Your choice.
  • postrockandcats
    Options
    I'll have low-calorie days, too. But, on days that I work out I purposely eat more caloric meals. See, I want my body to have the right about of fuel so I keep my muscle mass. Muscle mass is what burns fat, even when you aren't working out. I don't know your overall caloric goals and recommendations, but days like today aren't good for you. If you know you regularly burn off X amount of calories when you go to the gym and you know you'll go to the gym today, you'll be doing yourself a favor by eating more.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    do what you feel works for you! Good luck in finding that!
    What is Intermittent Fasting anyways?