I Have An Embarrassing Problem...

Options
2»

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Oh, do I ever know what you are talking about!
    I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago, and just the thought of taking a jog around the block makes me want to find a bathroom!
    I think it is the combination of heat and just the fear of not having a bathroom. Basically your nerves trigger your intestines to rapid fire, so your normal peristalsis speeds up.
    If I have a couple of days of this back to back I will take an immodium in the morning, and that normally helps for the whole day.

I will say that upping my fiber has helped tremendously!

Keep on jogging! I think the biggest hurdle is getting past the fear of it.

You could have an underlying health issue such as IBS or IBD - you should get it checked out rather than just treating it symptomatically.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I love my walks, and I have found that my diet surely does effect it.

Basically, I need some good solid foods in me a while beforehand and I need to be easy on the caffeine. Basically, I take my walk right after lunch. I have my coffee when I get into work. If I do not eat breakfast that day, I HAVE to try and use the restroom before my walk or I seriously won't make it lol.

Our bodies do take time to get used to new activities and changes in diet. It is totally unflattering and pardon the pun, crappy.

As others have suggested, trying some meds could help, and if they don't, walk close to home repeatedly for a while to get your body used to walking again.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad at all. You def aren't the only one. One time with while my wife and I were walking we got within a mile of being back home and.......things got bad. It was terrible when it happened, but we have tears in our eyes when we think back on it and can't stop laughing. Up your fiber and drink more water. Generally, once you get moving your system will start activating, so either move around your house till you have to go, or stay close to places with restrooms you can use till you know you're in the clear. The one thing you don't want to do is bounce out of bed and hit the trail. Give your system 20-30 mins of movement and you should be able to clear it so you can walk with confidence.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How I avoid runner's trots:

"Go" before you go. Drink a warm beverage (coffee, tea, warm water with lemon) to help stimulate a BM. Give yourself time in the bathroom to just sit and relax. I know this isn't easy for everyone but try your best.

Eat a banana, if not a peanut butter and banana sandwich, before a long run. Bananas are naturally constipating, as is white rice and dry white toast.

As someone else said, dehydration makes this problem worse. Stay hydrated always! And bring a water bottle with you that you can sip from while you're out.

Dairy isn't necessarily an issue unless you specifically are lactose intolerant. In fact, cheese is known to help bind and dairies with active cultures and probiotics (like chobani greek yogurt) can aid in digestion as long as you're not dairy sensitive.
  • MARSunshine
    Options
    give thought to being hydrated. I know there is a fear to add to the potential load... also have found the humidity impossible and causes this in the past. good luck and walk in smaller radius so you're never too far away.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I drink upward of ten glasses of water a day. Just walked eight blocks, [almost a KM, for my friends across the pond.], and still had to run home. What gives?!

Generic - Dannon Danimals Surfin Smoothie Summer Watermelon, 1 bottle
    Kellogg's - Fruit Loops, 1 Cup
    Silk - Vanilla Soy Milk , 8 oz
    Cheese - Mini Babybel Original, 21 g
    Stash - Acai Berry Tea, 1 tea bag

That was breakfast; obviously ate some of yesterday's logged sunflower seeds, because I have a serious addiction to them.