Ground Beef Dyes

Options
Has anybody heard this before.... So I was in the grocery store the other day and was comparing 75/25 ground beef with 96/4 ground beef and showing my husband how much more red the 96/4 was compared to the 75/25 and how I would never eat the 75/25 because I thought it looked disgusting. Then this woman who was buying the 75/25 commented that they dye the 96/4 red to make it look more healthy.

Is this true? I still wouldn't buy the 75/25, too much fat.

Just curious.

Replies

• rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Has anybody heard this before.... So I was in the grocery store the other day and was comparing 75/25 ground beef with 96/4 ground beef and showing my husband how much more red the 96/4 was compared to the 75/25 and how I would never eat the 75/25 because I thought it looked disgusting. Then this woman who was buying the 75/25 commented that they dye the 96/4 red to make it look more healthy.

Just curious.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

Just curious.

Dye???:noway: I hope not!

Isn't the GB redder because there is less fat?????

I've been using ground turkey and haven't bought GB for a while. I would think something like that would have to be disclosed......yikes
  • rem1979
    Options

Just curious.

Dye???:noway: I hope not!

Isn't the GB redder because there is less fat?????

I've been using ground turkey and haven't bought GB for a while. I would think something like that would have to be disclosed......yikes

This is exactly what I thought, less fat = more red. Wouldn't you think that would dye the 75/25 then to be more red???
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Nope, they DO dye it.
    We get fresh (from the cow! lol) from a place in town and it's much more brown without dye.
    I'm more concerned that they are going to start cloning meat ewewew
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    Nope, they DO dye it.
    We get fresh (from the cow! lol) from a place in town and it's much more brown without dye.
    I'm more concerned that they are going to start cloning meat ewewew

HOLY COW! :laugh: :frown:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you see 'red dye 40' on an ingredient label, they dye it. If not, they don't. Beef turns brown due to oxidation (loss of oxygen from the hemoglobin, which is what makes blood look red). Your sealed beef at the deli was packaged right away, which doesn't leave it exposed so oxidation doesn't happen as quickly. No one is dying your meat to make it look 'healthier'. :)
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    You can look up something called "dosing." There are recent reports that oxygen is replaced with carbon monoxide, or another unnamed gas, to keep the red color longer. As usual, the thing about articles is that you need to consider the source because groups tend to report things that validate what they believe. I read something once that said, "One study reports blah, blah, blah." and the study consisted of ten people from their office. Okay, so it took me a while to catch onto statistics but I finally did pass the class with an A and I'm pretty sure you don't get an accurate account of things from testing in that way.

Ask the butcher, if you buy from some place where the meat maybe prepackaged and not have an onsite butcher, contact the store and then call the people who package it. Then let us know. My nephew worked in a butcher shop for a while and my friend is a butcher, and they never told me this was a practice for their store, and I won't share the things they have told me. Just like I won't read the Slaughterhouse whatever book that came out years ago. In some areas, just want to be a mushroom, keep me in the dark and feed me crap....
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Most of the meats packed and bought retail are packed under hydrogen and then sealed so that they stay red. Songbyrdsweet is correct it is oxydization that turns the meat a brown colour. Unless they list a dye on the package it is illegal for them to dye meat.
    Cowboy
  • rem1979
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I already threw out the packaging but next time I am at the store I will check it out.

The meat I bought was prepackaged.
  • mydogmesa2
    mydogmesa2 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    No I havent heard of that but I have heard that some stores use special lighting to make their meat look more red. I would tend to think that the 96/4 looks more red because it has less whiteish fat mixed in it.