Protein powder

Options
Ayla70
Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
Why?

I see so many people eat this...and I'm not sure why...

I go over 100 g of protein daily with a normal diet, what is the reason others take this? Just curious...

Replies

• Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do for the amino acids- and because it's filling. It's great for before and after a workout, it helps my blood sugar maintain. I can't always cook up a chicken real quick, so it's convenient.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble getting to their target without it. Or they use it for the convenience factor.
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Does it have a lot of calories? For example is it more, less or about the same per protein gram as steak or chicken?
  • Ayla70
    Options
    ps...my son's a butcher ;)
  • cindybindyboo
    Options
    The one i use - Proto whey double chocolate, is delicious, so i have it to kill sweet cravings. If i mix it with natural yogurt it tastes like cheese cake.
  • taso42
    Options
    Does it have a lot of calories? For example is it more, less or about the same per protein gram as steak or chicken?

Nutritionally it's close to chicken breast.
    1 scoop of ON Natural Chocolate whey is 130 calories for 24g protein
    78g of boneless skinless chicken breast is 129 calories for 24g protein
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble getting to their target without it. Or they use it for the convenience factor.
    All about convenience for me. I know I need protein after a workout, it's just easier for me. I don't like eating breakfast much too, so I just have one then.
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Are there any other side benefits of taking it instead of cooking up a nice bit of meat? Do they have added vitamins/fibre etc?

Another question, what's the average intake of protein for someone really building up muscle (this isn't me, I'm just curious again) :)
  • Ayla70
    Options
    The one i use - Proto whey double chocolate, is delicious, so i have it to kill sweet cravings. If i mix it with natural yogurt it tastes like cheese cake.

Oh that sounds dangerous LOL
  • taso42
    Options
    Are there any other side benefits of taking it instead of cooking up a nice bit of meat? Do they have added vitamins/fibre etc?

Not really. You can get EVERYTHING you need from whole foods. Some shakes do have added vitamins. Like shakeology for example, is more or less equivalent to a multivitamin. (Let's hope of the their reps doesn't come into this thread to let us know that it's the greatest thing ever).
    Another question, what's the average intake of protein for someone really building up muscle (this isn't me, I'm just curious again) :)

Around 1g per pound of lean body mass. Although some hardcore muscle heads go as high as 2g per lb of body weight.
  • bradphil87
    Options

Meat would be fine in sure, it's just a quick easy way to get protein in for most people. And from what I've herd 1 gram per pound of lean body mass is pretty standard for someone trying to build
  • Ayla70
    Options
    Ok, last question I promise...

What dangers are there in eating too much protein if you're still in the fat burning part of getting fit and not lifting heavy duty weights?

(really appreciate you guys taking the time to answer me)
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Some people cannot eat the amount of meat you would need per grams of protein powder for the protein content and amino acids. Sometimes I could not stomach 3 steaks, but could easily get it in a couple protein shakes throughout the day. (One steak I could do lol). Time/convenience and to fill me up when I don't have time to cook everything all day long (take it to go) I'd look funny eating a steak in the car or taking a steak to the gym, but protein drink I can take anywhere.

I just bought egg protein powder, I don't do dairy that's why and calorie-wise it's great. Right now I use rice protein it's only 60 calories.
  • taso42
    Options
    Too much protein may be harmful to the liver and kidneys. But don't worry. You would be hard pressed to actually consume too much protein.
  • Ayla70
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

You guys rock!
  • bradphil87
    Options
    For me it has no effect what-so-ever, it doesn't hinder my weight loss one bit. I actully think it helps me personally. I have lost 75 lbs and for about 65 of them I have been taking protein on a daily basis. I take it on non-lift days as well. It will not hurt your weightloss efforts at all as long as you stick to you calorie goal. I know people personally who have 250 grams plus a day and they haven't had any type of I'll effects from it :) (I don't have that much lol, but I know many people who shoot for 200-250 every day)