How do I combat EXTREME soreness and stiffness?

Options
13»

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    1000 mg of Vitamin D3 a day.
  • andrewknightwales
    andrewknightwales Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe take the training down a notch? If its making you EXTREMELY sore, it could be your body's way of warning you that you are pushing yourself too hard?
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    eat some carbs.

seriously.

i've been through this before and the only thing that helps me is slowly stretching and increasing my carb intake to restore the glycogen in my muscles.

this
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    - work out in compression gear
    - dynamic warm ups and warm up sets if you're lifting
    - stretch afterwards
    - take alternating cold and hot showers or baths after the fact (i like cold shower->whirl pool -> cool shower -> warm shower)
    - make sure you eat enough calories (especially protein) afterwards and drink lots of water
    - foam rolling or sports massage
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Nice warm bath and stretch.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    A high protein day really really helps me x
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    When I'm sore from p90x, or anything else for that matter, I take an 800mg ibuprofen and wrestle around the floor with my rumble roller!! It hurts, but it works and saves me money so I don't have to get deep tissue massages as often.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I suffer DOM (delayed onset muscle soreness) really bad. Couple that with my arthritis and I have felt how you did/do.

As several of the others have stated - the roller helps (I don't have a foam one, but I use a shampoo bottle when I get home in the shower). Also, try adding some type of protein after your workout - either a drink, a snack, something. It gives your muscles fuel to start repairing/building.

And I have been adding a BCAA (branched chain animo acid) supplement before I hit the gym (take 30 min before). If you get a good protein drink, these (BCAA) should already be in there.

I'm not trying to "over" build muscles, but after doing some research, I decided to try it - it does help. I would suggest doing some research on them first or asking your doctor, there can be issues with them. But as I said - it does help. I can walk the next day.
  • ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree with the foam rolling and doing it again as soon as possible. It totally sounds counter-intuitive, but it works. Work the same muscles again after a day or so and it works the soreness right out of them!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    DEF drink some kind of recovery drink within 60 minutes post-workout. If you Google recovery drinks you will find TONS of info on the carb to protein ratio and shake/drink ideas. Hope that helps!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    high potassium foods like bananas are also great for sore muscles.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've found the absolute best thing for sore muscles is foam rolling. When I only stretch, I find the soreness often remains, however when I do foam rolling after a workout, I recover much faster. I bought my foam roller for $15 from a fitness depot.

Need to try these foam rollers! X
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    actually if you're going for potassium, coconut water has far more potassium than a banana and is great for recovery drink.

i keep meaning to work it into my diet but i always forget to buy the individual sizes when i go grocery shopping
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this was already covered but just in case... Epsom salt bath, magnisium supplements, massage, and a roller (stretching exercise) will help incredibly! That's what i had to do (and still do) when it happens. Also increase protein for muscle repair. I used to get actual knots in my calves - so painful! Congrats on the new class that can be an intense one - but so worth it! :bigsmile:
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I can't believe no one has mentioned glutamine! All hail glutamine. It's an amino acid that helps heal recovery in the muscles. It's a life saver. It's legal, safe, has no side effects (like jitters). You can buy it in an unflavored powder form and put it in a protein shake (I put mine in juice, too) or in capsules. It helps tremendously! I take 5 to 10 grams a day, but less than that works.

I train in muay thai, and went I first started I also did ice baths ... I still do after hard sparring. Other than that, the foam roller and tiger balm are my best friends. Protein shakes after, and maybe before bed, good carbs and tons of water.

Never underestimate the power of a good soak in a hot epsom salt bath. If you add MSM to your bath it helps a great deal with sore joints.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Tigerbalm is amazing for stiffness. You only need a little bit (or a lot depending on how extreme the soreness in the muscle is), but I've always found it to really help after a ridiculously difficult workout.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I think protein shakes work pretty well. Protein repairs the little muscle tears (which is why they are protein shakes are used for muscle) It's meant to help the repair time and since I started I don't suffer quit as much stiffness as I use to.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Stretch after your workouts, Lot's of water all the time, move the muscles the next day with some cardio, take a hot epsom salt bath, ibuprofen, and use ice on specific muscles if u need to.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths work wonders. If I have a tough workout stretch really well and I take a nice warm epsom salt bath. Dose up on Aleve and then ice any trouble spots. Get a good nights rest and make sure you are fueling your muscles within 30 - 45 minutes right after the burn. Your body needs fuel to recover and build the muscle back up.
  • janiehughes
    Options
    After cycling 30 miles yesterday I could hardly move. So I did my streching excercises and was much better after. Whenever I excercise I ache after but streching definatley helps. I think thats where the saying comes from no pain no gain. I love the feeling and sleep much better after exercise a really feel good about yourself feeling.