Reducing sugar?

Anyone have any good tips on reducing the amount of sugar you ingest? It seems my biggest problem is that I always go wayyy over my sugar limit for the day, making it a high sugar week as well.

Replies

• jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Do you log all your fruit? That can easily put you over. I had a banana and porridge for breakfast and it went over. I usually don't bother to log fruit as a result.
  • ^^ DO NOT listen to that advice. Sugar in fruit is still sugar, and calories in fruit are still calories. Your body does not distinguish between sugar (i.e. gluscose, fructose) from fruit or from a chocolate bar.

As for cutting down on it:
    - try eating less fruit, and especially less dried fruit (replace with veggies instead)
    - avoid white bread, white pasta and white rice (go for wholegrain/wholemeal stuff)
    - avoid cereal bars no matter how low in calorie or fat they say they are, if you look they're probably FULL of sugar!!
    - look for reduced-sugar versions of any sweet things/desserts you eat. If you use sugar in baking try replacing with lower-GI sugar replacements such as stevia or agave nectar.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Anyone have any good tips on reducing the amount of sugar you ingest? It seems my biggest problem is that I always go wayyy over my sugar limit for the day, making it a high sugar week as well.
    Does it matter ? you can turn off the logging or set a higher target for sugar if the standard settings don't match your regular eating pattern.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day, and choose fruits that are lower in sugar (strawberries are surprisingly low in sugar).
    Get your calcium from cheese (higher in fat but lower in sugar than milk) or non-dairy sources.
    Use dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
    READ LABELS. Most processed foods (including processed meats) contain some added sugar. Switch to minimally processed food to avoid added sugar and sodium.
    Change up your typical menus. For instance, if you usually have oatmeal with fruit and milk for breakfast (15-30 grams of sugar), try a frittata (0 grams of sugar) instead.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    ^^ DO NOT listen to that advice. Sugar in fruit is still sugar, and calories in fruit are still calories. Your body does not distinguish between sugar (i.e. gluscose, fructose) from fruit or from a chocolate bar.

As for cutting down on it:
    - try eating less fruit, and especially less dried fruit (replace with veggies instead)
    - avoid white bread, white pasta and white rice (go for wholegrain/wholemeal stuff)
    - avoid cereal bars no matter how low in calorie or fat they say they are, if you look they're probably FULL of sugar!!
    - look for reduced-sugar versions of any sweet things/desserts you eat. If you use sugar in baking try replacing with lower-GI sugar replacements such as stevia or agave nectar.

Good advice. There is sugar in so many things in our old diet. Fruit, however, is good for you! And as far as logging? I log everything. What's the point of being on MFP if you're going to continue to deny what you're eating? I did the above and do not crave sweets anymore. I have fruit everyday, but I don't "have" to have it! Good luck.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Well, what do you eat?

I do think it's funny that peoples' responses to "I'm going over my limits" is "change your limits".
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Well, what do you eat?

I do think it's funny that peoples' responses to "I'm going over my limits" is "change your limits".

you can either change your sugar limits ( which MANY people find to be obscenely low), or change your eating habits. I am eating lower carb, and I haven't had a banana in 3 months, yet I eat berries or kiwi just about daily.