Eat More to Weigh Less (giving it a try)

Options
I have seen so many posts on here about eating more to weigh less so I have decided to give it a go. I have upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,400 and see how I go with that then re-evaluate. Just hope I don't start piling weight back on again :frown:

Replies

• wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I did this about 6 weeks ago and amazingly the weight is coming off much quicker. I would definitely recommend it.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hey there!! So glad that you are giving it a try....Best of luck to you!!

Here is the group link if you want to check it out....:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did this about 6 weeks ago and amazingly the weight is coming off much quicker. I would definitely recommend it.

Hope you don't mind me asking what was your calorie allowance before and how much did you up it by and how much has you lost in the 6 weeks. Also, did you put a bit on a first before you lost? So many questions lol
  • Poods71
    Options
    Hey there!! So glad that you are giving it a try....Best of luck to you!!

Here is the group link if you want to check it out....:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Thanks for that, I will have a wee look at that :smile:
  • sinzim
    sinzim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Interesting, what is the theory to back this up? Thought losing weight was a simple formula of eating less calories than we burn?
    Good luck =)
  • Poods71
    Options
    Interesting, what is the theory to back this up? Thought losing weight was a simple formula of eating less calories than we burn?
    Good luck =)

I know what you mean. I find it hard to get my head round it too but I am on the lowest amount of allowed calories 1,200 and when I have checked figures I can technically get away with eating more but I don't lose a massive amount on 1,200 so worry that going up will just make me put weight on. But there have been a lot of people who swear by upping calories you lose more and as I like food thought I would give it a try lol
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Interesting, what is the theory to back this up?
    There are several theories :

1. People given a 1200 target binge and eat 2000 but don't log it. With a 1600 target they stick to it.
    2. Other things like exercise or diet composition are changed at the same time as increasing food intake.
    3. etc etc
  • Poods71
    Options
    Interesting, what is the theory to back this up?
    There are several theories :

1. People given a 1200 target binge and eat 2000 but don't log it. With a 1600 target they stick to it.
    2. Other things like exercise or diet composition are changed at the same time as increasing food intake.
    3. etc etc

The binging thing is not true (for me anyway). I have been doing 1,200 for about 2 months now and don't really find it that much of a problem. When I do go over my cals (usually at the weekend :smile: ) I still log it all and have NEVER gone up to 2000. Think I have, at the most, gone over by 500 cals and that was once (usually only go over by about 200 or 300) and I never kid myself and don't log stuff (what would be the point). I just want to try upping cos I do think sticking to 1,200 forever would not be sustainable for me and a lot of people swear by upping so would like to give it a try and see how it goes.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good luck! It works - you just need patience. I see someone gave you the link to the group. They have "stickies"...you need to read the one about what to expect. I think everyone is nervous about this concept - just remember food is fuel.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I know for me it works. Try to eat at your BMR, this is what I am achieving everyday with the one offs of hitting 200 calories above. I am noticing its making me more energized and happier!! Weight loss is not a race.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This is my second week. I went from 1200 (barely) per day up to 1400 last week. I lost 1.2 pounds this week. I have upped to 1500 for this week and plan to up to 1600 next week. This will put me at 30% below TDEE - where I need to be. It's hard to fit in that many calories, but I'm doing it because in the first week I had INCREDIBLE energy for the first time in months. Good luck and hope it works for you, too.
  • cutestmomof2
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more! What's the point in binging or not logging and eating anyway! I've been on 1200 for almost a year now. When i do cheat, I do allow myself to CHEAT. And, i usually don't log that one day.... and my Dr is fine with that. I am not saying I do this all the time, but if I do...it's usually over a weekend, when I know i'll be out with friends. Thing is... what I now think of "over doing it" is really not all that! Since I just don't have the appetite I used to! LOL I lost 30+ so far, but for the last 3 - 4 mos.. haven't lost a pound! I haven't gained though, either. However, I'm not at my goal, and it's getting frustrating! I see my dr 1x's per month for weigh ins, and I see her this week.... gonna try to see what trcks she may have up her sleeve....because I was doing SO well, now.. I feel like i'm in a slump and can't get out of it!
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Hope you don't mind me asking what was your calorie allowance before and how much did you up it by and how much has you lost in the 6 weeks. Also, did you put a bit on a first before you lost? So many questions lol

I was on 1200 cals before and lost 1lb some weeks stayed the same some and put on some others. I put it up to 1454 which is above my BMR but below my TDEE and have lost every week since. i have lost 10lb is think in 6 weeks
    Hope this helps.. always happy to help. Add me a friend if you like :)
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think the theory is that you need to at least eat your BMR so you are fueling the basic metabolic needs of your body to sustain life. If you do not fuel at that level your body will not lose weight as easily because it is not getting enough of what it needs to thrive.

I am thinking about upping mine as I have been at 1200 and I gain and lose the same poundage over and over again... pretty frustrating...So I am considering upping to my BMR (1450ish) and burning more calories through exercise rather than starting at deficit level before I exercise. I think my body will thank me by giving up the extra weight!!
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    bumping this to read later
  • Poods71
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like people have had good losses by upping so hopefully it will work for me too. No problem upping cals today as I was out last night and had a few glasses of wine, so feeling a bit more peckish than usual today lol fingers crossed :smile:
  • sinzim
    sinzim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks those who took the time to explain this to me, good luck to those who up their intake for greater success =)
  • Poods71
    Options
    Been doing it since Monday now and I don't seem to be putting weight on so far :smile:. I did go a bit crazy yesterday though as we actually had come sun and we were out and about (nearly died when I logged them today :noway:). The annoying thing is I had to guess some things and I hate that as I don't know if I am over or under estimating (I try not to pick the lowest figure on the database though, just to be safe). Tomorrow is weigh-in so will have to wait and see.

One positive to come out of upping calories though is that my constipation is a lot better (sorry if that is TMI lol).