Hello all :) big guy here

Options
Well, first off i have to say that i've already started the diet and ACTIVE !! fitness because i think that there aren't really alot of peeps with my weight. Anyways, i changed a job now almost 2 years ago... and since i've done that, most of my meals were sandwiches and pizza's, and i was already slightly overweight when i've started the job. On top of that, 2 months ago I've had a surgery, which meant lying in bed for a month and a half and eating plenty of proteins to heal the wound ... All in all, i was really disappointed when i took my weight. Up to the point of the surgery i was pretty active doing, i think you wouldn't guess it but DANCING ! :P

I have a long way ahead of myself, I'm 24 y.o. , 6' 4 and have around 165 lb to lose, so wish me luck and i hope i'll manage to succeed in my goal, which is to lose it in 365 days :) 1 week has passed and I've lost 4 lb in that time.

Replies

• chicka200413
    Options
    Hey good luck! We are all here for you! I love dancing!!!!
  • FitnessJourney
    Options
    you'll do great!:drinker:
  • HopTuNaa
    Options
    Good luck to you! You have a great attitude - stick to it! :wink:
  • sonialynnt
    Options
    Good luck to you and we are here if you need us. I have just recently started this program and am really happy with it. Best of luck to you.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If I can do it anyone can! Seriously this is not as hard as your mind is probably making it out to be!...and dancing is great excercise so thats a plus! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Heh yea, well i know its not as hard as it may seem so, a couple of years back i've lost around 70 lbs in 4 months so i know how it goes... but still, 170 is alot, and hopefully ill make it in a reasonable time... The hardest thing is actually to arrange my meals during the day cuz i have a private business and kind of erratic working hours but hey... if someone wants something badly enough they'll make it :)

As for dancing ... yea, been in it for 3 years now, and im really sad cause i was able to dance 3-4 hours with maybe a few 5 min breaks but... well we'll get back to that in time hehe :) intensive dancing + counting and changing my eating habits and fitness should get me to my goal :)

Thx for the support :)
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Well, first off i have to say that i've already started the diet and ACTIVE !! fitness because i think that there aren't really alot of peeps with my weight. Anyways, i changed a job now almost 2 years ago... and since i've done that, most of my meals were sandwiches and pizza's, and i was already slightly overweight when i've started the job. On top of that, 2 months ago I've had a surgery, which meant lying in bed for a month and a half and eating plenty of proteins to heal the wound ... All in all, i was really disappointed when i took my weight. Up to the point of the surgery i was pretty active doing, i think you wouldn't guess it but DANCING ! :P

I have a long way ahead of myself, I'm 24 y.o. , 6' 4 and have around 165 lb to lose, so wish me luck and i hope i'll manage to succeed in my goal, which is to lose it in 365 days :) 1 week has passed and I've lost 4 lb in that time.

Best of Luck on your goal!! This is a great place for support. You Can Do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!! You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • LittleEva44
    Options

Hi Bloodie! Your first step was admitting you want to lose weight :flowerforyou: I went from 189 pounds to 172.8 (I weigh myself every 15th of the month). I have lost 16.2 pounds, and I have NEVER been healthier in my life!). Here are MY tips for you:

Drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes. I suggest you eat 1,250 calories at the beginning, take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, use extra virgin olive oil, eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc., eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, eat yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (use extra virgin olive oil), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), eat Baked Lays, air popped popcorn. You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Since you LOVE pizza go to www.pilsbury.com and buy a pizza stone ($29.99) you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (Rapid Eye Movement).

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy recipes and is another souce of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't suscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Weigh yourself "monthly". You WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly as alot of women/men in this site tend to do (weigh themselves daily/weekly and then get discouraged and give up on dieting/exercising). "They" say men lose weight faster than women. Why? Because men do not mensturate, their bodies are built differently, and they don't retain water like women do.

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following: one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Stay away from alcoholic drinks (includes wine).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!! If you've watched the Diet Detective, he gets rid of all the "fat" foods in your fridge and pantry (cakes, cookies, pies, etc). He fills those places with veggies, fruits, wheat products, dairy products, low fat cheeses, olive oil, etc. I LOVED that show, but you can still check out his website: www.dietdetective.com/lose-weight.aspx

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options

Hi Bloodie! Your first step was admitting you want to lose weight :flowerforyou: I went from 189 pounds to 172.8 (I weigh myself every 15th of the month). I have lost 16.2 pounds, and I have NEVER been healthier in my life!). Here are MY tips for you:

Drink 64 oz of water daily; work out 3 days a week for 30 minutes. I suggest you eat 1,250 calories at the beginning, take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, use extra virgin olive oil, eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc., eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, eat yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (use extra virgin olive oil), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (french fries, potato chips, etc), eat Baked Lays, air popped popcorn. You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Since you LOVE pizza go to www.pilsbury.com and buy a pizza stone ($29.99) you can create your own delicious home made pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your hearts content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (Rapid Eye Movement).

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy recipes and is another souce of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't suscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Weigh yourself "monthly". You WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly as alot of women/men in this site tend to do (weigh themselves daily/weekly and then get discouraged and give up on dieting/exercising). "They" say men lose weight faster than women. Why? Because men do not mensturate, their bodies are built differently, and they don't retain water like women do.

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following: one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muslce tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. If you work out and eat right (the first month WITHOUT cheating), you'll lose 5-6 pounds because you are flushing your body (detoxing). THEN the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their :heart: for doing that!!! If you've watched the Diet Detective, he gets rid of all the "fat" foods in your fridge and pantry (cakes, cookies, pies, etc). He fills those places with veggies, fruits, wheat products, dairy products, low fat cheeses, olive oil, etc. I LOVED that show, but you can still check out his website: www.dietdetective.com/lose-weight.aspx

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!

Eva

Alright, let me first start with one big thank you for all the tips that you've written down. !!!

Now, to explain my diet/fitness and everything else a bit more...

I've spent around 5 years in the gym every other day for about an hour and a half (stopped going 2,5 years ago) and according to my doc, my ideal weight considering my height and my muscle mass would be around 215-230 lbs... And i've been off fried foods & soda's for about 3 weeks now, even though i never really cared for sodas or cakes that much... i was more of a chocolate type of guy :)) And regarding pizza... its not that i really love pizza, but the only option we had of ordering at work was either pizza or sandwich or hamburger.... so im really tired of those foods for now ... not even thinking about getting one lol

My diet is now around 1500-1700 cals a day. I drink approx. 90 oz of water daily and perhaps 1 glass of orange unsweetened diet juice. I have my dancing nights 2 or 3 nights a week, and i spend about 30-60 mins activly dancing. As far as fitness is concerned... i have my workouts 6 days a week 25-30 mins a day.

My meals during the day look like ... for example yesterday..

I was working in the afternoon so, for breakfast around 8 am i had cereals... around 10 i did my workout and had a protein shake. around 12 i had lunch, it was cooked rice with carrots and green peas, and a piece of baked turkey breast, then i went to work ... around 4 pm i had a yogurt. Around 8 pm when i got home i had 2 slices of whole wheat brown bread with 1 oz of salami, and after that i went out dancing ... danced for about half an hour in total ... and off i went to bed around midnight hehe

Now i know that for someone of my size it may seem alot to deal with but, even a couple of months back when i was maybe 30 lbs lighter i used to dance maybe 3-4 times a week for atleast an hour... so im really fine with this workout/dance schedule.

Basically what i've done is added daily workouts, and started eating normally in normal times... stopped eating fried & junk food, stopped eating sweets and white bread (now i maybe have 1 or 2 slices of that whole wheat bread), and ofc really took down the size of the meal :)

Anyways i hope that i'll manage to get to my goals, and yes, i really have to say that i love this website! The support is great, and people are awesome !

Thx once again,

now i've made a big post hehe :P
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Hooty Hoo! FINALLY someone is doing something right!!! You are doing a fantastic job, Bloodie! And thanks for accepting to be my "friend" :smile: I just LOVE giving out advice and HATE it :mad: when people don't listen to me! I do my best to sit here and type this info out and have others comment on say, Diet Cokes, LOL. I'm living proof as I've lost 16.2 pounds!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Oh, and also! Since you don't crave pizzas anymore this is a "healthy" pizza recipe made w/olive oil and the other fixings. It has ZERO fats from oils compared to what Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc., has. Yuck!

Blessings!

Eva

PS: I'm eating my apple now (30 minutes before I work out). I ran/jogged a quarter of a mile yesterday without stopping as I'm training myself to run. I power walked 3 laps so w/the running/jogging non stop I did 2 miles and this during my lunch hour!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

PSS: I've got a YUMMY smoothie recipe for you! I'll write back after I work out.

Eva

Alright, let me first start with one big thank you for all the tips that you've written down. !!!

Now, to explain my diet/fitness and everything else a bit more...

I've spent around 5 years in the gym every other day for about an hour and a half (stopped going 2,5 years ago) and according to my doc, my ideal weight considering my height and my muscle mass would be around 215-230 lbs... And i've been off fried foods & soda's for about 3 weeks now, even though i never really cared for sodas or cakes that much... i was more of a chocolate type of guy :)) And regarding pizza... its not that i really love pizza, but the only option we had of ordering at work was either pizza or sandwich or hamburger.... so im really tired of those foods for now ... not even thinking about getting one lol

My diet is now around 1500-1700 cals a day. I drink approx. 90 oz of water daily and perhaps 1 glass of orange unsweetened diet juice. I have my dancing nights 2 or 3 nights a week, and i spend about 30-60 mins activly dancing. As far as fitness is concerned... i have my workouts 6 days a week 25-30 mins a day.

My meals during the day look like ... for example yesterday..

I was working in the afternoon so, for breakfast around 8 am i had cereals... around 10 i did my workout and had a protein shake. around 12 i had lunch, it was cooked rice with carrots and green peas, and a piece of baked turkey breast, then i went to work ... around 4 pm i had a yogurt. Around 8 pm when i got home i had 2 slices of whole wheat brown bread with 1 oz of salami, and after that i went out dancing ... danced for about half an hour in total ... and off i went to bed around midnight hehe

Now i know that for someone of my size it may seem alot to deal with but, even a couple of months back when i was maybe 30 lbs lighter i used to dance maybe 3-4 times a week for atleast an hour... so im really fine with this workout/dance schedule.

Basically what i've done is added daily workouts, and started eating normally in normal times... stopped eating fried & junk food, stopped eating sweets and white bread (now i maybe have 1 or 2 slices of that whole wheat bread), and ofc really took down the size of the meal :)

Anyways i hope that i'll manage to get to my goals, and yes, i really have to say that i love this website! The support is great, and people are awesome !

Thx once again,

now i've made a big post hehe :P
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    4#s ????? AWESOME!!!
    PLEASE take your photo NOW so you can post updates and for when you reach your goal!! I am soooooo excited for you man !!!! Best wishes and HANG in there bud, I know you can do this!!!